“Great Little Neighborhood Chinese Restaurant in Upper Dimond District”
Review of Ly Luck

Ly Luck
Ranked #291 of 1,328 Restaurants in Oakland
Cuisines: Chinese
Reviewed November 2, 2011

This restaurant is a neighborhood favorite of residents in the Upper Dimond District of Oakland. I ate there several times with friends who live a few blocks away. They said, We eat here often. It's inexpensive and the food is good." We stuck to the basics and had mu shu pork, rock cod with corn, roast duck, Chinese vegetables, and more. Portions were very large. Prices were inexpensive. Many entrees were under $10.00 Roast duck was crispy outside, moist and tender inside, and very tasty. Mu shu pork was also very good and serving was huge, but. rock cod was kind of bland. There was so much we couldn't finish it all. Service was prompt and friendly. I thought some of the dishes, particularly the duck and mu shu pork, were better than similar dishes I'd had at Legendary Palace. Because of work commitments, we ate dinner early, around 5 PM, so were able to get metered parking right in front of the restaurant. (Don't know what the usual parking situation is here.) Seating time was immediate to a 5-10 minute wait on second visit. Restaurant itself is very basic: not much atmosphere, and the usual Chinese restaurant restrooms. But if you are hungry, and want a tasty meal that fits your budget, this is the place. On my second trip to this restaurant, at which we ate well, but ordered slightly fewer dishes, bill for three people was only about $35 plus tip. Not sure if they have local delivery. We drank tea, so not sure if they serve beer or wine. There are also inexpensive lunch specials, which are mostly rice combination plates, around $5.00-$7.00. Other diners were mostly Asian, some with families. I would definitely eat here again and plan to, on my next trip to the bay area.

Been to Ly Luck? Share your experiences!