“One of the best Mac&Cheese experiences.” 5 of 5 bubbles

Homeroom
Ranked #9 of 1,250 Restaurants in Oakland
Cuisines: American
Good for: Dining on a budget, Kids, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Sacramento, California
“One of the best Mac&Cheese experiences.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 11, 2014

Homeroom was highly recommended by friends when we said we were going to be spending the day riding our bicycles in Oakland. We worked hard to get from Lake Merritt to the restaurant (we are talking hills!) and so our appetite was whetted. There was a line but we waited on a bench sipping water and before we knew it we were seated at an inside table. (There is outside, inside and community seating. You can state a preference when you sign in. We said first available.)

The servers are quick and capable and the decor is inspired by the schoolroom with chalkboard art, and school photos in the bathroom. The menu also nods to the good old fashioned food you might have found back in the day in a school cafeteria. Before school cafeterias became the wasteland of prepackaged frozen food.

The emphasis is on Macaroni and Cheese. We also spied the desserts, which were very tempting. So we split a Macximus with chicken added, a plate of asparagus and then ordered two desserts!

All delicious. I'd go out of my way to go there again.

• Visited May 2014

boston
“Make a night of it!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 17, 2014

Ok, yes, there is always a huge line out the door at Homeroom...but don't you think there's a reason for that? It's because it's so good! You can't find anywhere else like it.

The mac and cheese is awesome and they have a great drink menu that they pair with the meals on the menu. Be ready to wait. Go with good company. Enjoy yourself!

And DUH, obviously if you want a quiet, quick sit-down dinner this is not the place to go!

• Visited April 2014
Bristol, United Kingdom
“Mac and Cheese Fans Unite!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 23, 2014

Macaroni and cheese has always been one of my favorite foods. Whether I need my ma to celebrate an great week or to comfort me when I'm feeling blue, creamy cheesy pasta is the way to go. This restaurant totally gets the obsessive M&C love! I've been to Homeroom several times - with both coworkers and family, and it's always awesome.

The atmosphere is friendly and cool - just what you'd expect for a Bay Area eatery. Oakland really is the up-and-coming area for culture, food, and innovation. My very loud, very boisterous family had my moving away dinner at Homeroom knowing that a menu full of macaroni and cheese options would be right up everyone's alleys.

My favorite is the Trailer Mac, because duh! hotdogs and mac & cheese belong together! My partner is partial to the Gilroy, because he adds garlic to everything (yes, kissing him is an experience!); and he was very happy with my suggestion that he add bacon. We even had some leftovers to take home with us, and we were pleasantly surprised that they held up so well with our microwave re-heating regimen - I think the waitress recommended the oven, but who's got time for that?!

Definitely check out this place - it's casual, it's fun, and it's got a lot of plucky attitude. I would say it is worth the drive if you are from the further East Bay, so don't miss out!

• Visited June 2013
Lafayette, California
“The Whole is Greater than the sum of its parts”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2014 via mobile

Line out the door, couples young and old, families with kids, all flocking for the Mac 'n cheese. The atmosphere is hoppin'. The wait staff is friendly, many adorned with piercings and tattoos. The menu is simple and clever, as they pair a beverage and a veggie with each variety of Mac 'n cheese. There was one glitch... We didn't love the mac 'n cheese. (To be fair, we had the anniversary special, with fresh Dungeness crab, not one of their staples). My view of the kitchen allowed me to see them making each item to order: scooping the noodles, adding the ingredients. It was al dente and flavor not baked through. The brussel sprouts were good. Overall, a fun experience. Will give it another try.

• Visited February 2014
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Uniontown, Pennsylvania
“Gourmet mac and cheese? Yes please!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 3, 2014

A local Oakland resident took my friends and I here for dinner. We waited outside for a table for a while and sat at a communal table with other people near the bar, but man, what a fun atmosphere! The staff was friendly and attentive, the food was delicious -- I got the Macximus, with artichoke hearts, spinach, shallots and feta. The portions were huge; we all got another full meal out of the leftovers.

• Visited November 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Been to Homeroom? Share your experiences!