“Good Value for a long stay.” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Extended Stay America - Oakland - Emeryville

Extended Stay America - Oakland - Emeryville
Ranked #28 of 48 Hotels in Oakland
Las Vegas, Nevada
“Good Value for a long stay.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2013

Stayed here Jan 2013 till end of April 2013, owing to working in the Bay area. Good value for money, clean room, tv, kitchenette etc. Hotel has recently been refurbished. Target across the street, supermarket nearby,. Good public transport, free Emery go round shuttle 5 mins walk away. Housekeeping once a week, but no problem changing towels anytime. Staff very helpful, go out of their way to help.Poor choice of TV channels but thats the same in all ESA hotels. Free wi-fi for whole stay.Free coffee and mini breakfast in the mornings.
Very close also to all the shops, cinemas and restaurants at the Bay street area.
Area not very safe, so be careful especially after dark, especially the closer you get to the Bart station at McArthur.
Stayed here before in 2010, would stay here again if work requires it.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back of the hotel are subject to freeway noise.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars
Manager_11525, Manager at Extended Stay America - Oakland - Emeryville, responded to this review, July 30, 2013
Hi Mary,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay. It is rewarding to hear you found great value in our accommodations and our team. We look forward to seeing you in the future, should your travels bring you back to our area. Thank you again for your review.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Thousand Oaks, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

I stay in a lot of hotels of this caliber for business and personal travel about once a month. The look of the property and room is lovely but that is where it ends. We stayed in room 104 on the first floor. We checked in early in the day so should have had our pick of rooms. Every time the room above us took a shower it sounded like a 747 taking off in our bathroom. When I called the front desk and spoke to Rosemary she could hardly hear me over the noise. This went on about 6-7 times from 11 PM until about 12:30 AM and started again at 7:15 AM. She said they had no other rooms and were aware of the problem and that she was sorry. She told me not to worry that the noise would stop when people start showering. She was kind but that did not stop the noise. I own my own business. I do not understand them not fixing this problem immediately as other reviewers have mentioned it and they obviously know about it. I also cannot believe that they knowingly charge people for this room and that they knowingly put people in this room. It is disgusting and should be illegal. I took a video on my IPAD and you can hear the noise, I will be posting it on the internet for all to enjoy. DO NOT STAY HERE! Signed Very Sad!

Room Tip: Do NOT stay in room 104
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars
Thank you for the feedback about your stay at our hotel. The situation you described regarding the pipes is truly regrettable. We are very sorry for your experience. As this hotel’s manager, I can assure you that our company is working very hard to ensure your experience is not repeated. Thank you very much for providing us with your feedback. I invite you to contact me, at emy@extendedstay.com, if you have any additional comments. We hope that you will give us the opportunity to provide you with a better stay the next time you're in the area.
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013

First, the area of town appears to be nothing short of ghetto gang like area. We were locking our doors and rolling up our windows as fast as we could. I understand that that is not the hotels fault. But if you are considering this hotel and would like to feel safe please do yourself a favor and stay somewhere else.

We weren't even able to open the room door. We had to go to the front desk to tell the front desk attendant. He assured that all we had to do is push very hard and we could probably get in. Yes, we finally got in but not without a lot of difficulty.

Now for the room, I knew that it wasn't a 5 star hotel and that is not what I expected. However, it did not expect the alarm on the ceilings to be in a cage so it would not be stolen. Instead of a closet door, it had a curtain. There were brass fixtures and popcorn ceiling. The paint job was horrible and the plastic wood flooring was coming up. Yes, there was a fill size refrigerator bt it was older than me. It was also so loud it was difficult to sleep. There is only enough silver wear for one person. Each time we showered it made a noise loud enough to wake up the entire floor.

We paid 165 to stay here which is more than we paid to stay in the Residence Inn in Calabasas Ca area.

For breakfast all they had was packaged pastries that were who knows how old. The only hot item was coffee. They should feel ashamed that they advertised that as something close to what a breakfast is.

We checked out as early as possible and got on the road.

• Stayed July 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars
Manager_11525, Manager at Extended Stay America - Oakland - Emeryville, responded to this review, July 24, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us regarding your most recent stay at our hotel. We truly value your input and rely on our guests feedback in an effort to continuously improve our operation. I would like to sincerely apologize for the issues you encountered while staying with us. I appreciate you letting us know about the noise from the refrigerator and the noise from the shower.

There is no acceptable excuse for the issues you encountered while staying at our hotel. Rest assured I have reviewed your feedback with the department heads in an effort to prevent this from happening again in the future. Once again, thank you for your feedback and I hope that you would afford us another opportunity to be of service to you in the future should your travels bring you back to the area again.
Amarillo, Texas, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

I have been staying at this low-cost hotel for two months now. It provides the comforts of an apartment at a lower cost than I would pay for a regular hotel room in this area. Attentive service is provided while the front desk is manned from 7am to 11pm. However after 10pm make sure you have your key before leaving the building. Because the hotel is in a mall region there is a Target and a Pak-N-Save (Safeway) within easy walking distance for quick shopping and a wide choice of restaurants within 1/2 mile.

I've stayed in different ESA hotels from New York to Florida, Florida to California and this site is as (surprisingly) clean as any other chain extended stay hotel in its category and cleaner than most low budget hotels. Don't get your britches in a bunch if housekeeping is scheduled to clean your room only once per week; that's what helps to keep the cost down. I'm pretty sure you know how to clean up after yourself (even if you don't).

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Emeryville, California, USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013

I've been staying at the Extended Stay America here in Oakland - Emeryville, Bay Area for over a month now, and I wouldn't want to be anywhere else. The front desk staff is as courteous as they come, accomodating in every aspect, and willing to do whatever it takes to resolve any issues that may arise with your room. I needed some extra dish washing soap; they gave me enough to last a year and to wash everyone else's dishes here in the hotel. House cleaning service comes by once a week, or as often as you'd like, and makes the room sparkle when they're done. Free breakfast in the morning, from coffee to muffins, apples to tea. Unlike other hotels that have pint sized refrigerators, the Extended Stay America has full size refrigerators. In fact, they provide an entire kitchen equipped with stove, microwave, and full dish set (forks, spoons, knives, mugs, plates, pots/pans, dishrack, etc.) If you like to relax in the room, there is a 40" flat screen LG tv and free wireless internet for those who like to surf the web. Ice cold air conditioning, or hot like fire heater. With a touch of elegance, the room is simple yet has character that will put a smile on your face as soon as you enter. Conveniently located across the bay from San Francisco, take a quick ride on the BART or simple take a bus that picks you up and drops you off steps from the hotel.

If you need a place to stay while in the East Bay, consider your home away from home the Extended Stay America in Oakland - Emeryville.

Room Tip: Any room on any floor is perfect.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Oakland - Emeryville, responded to this review, July 9, 2013
Michael - Thank you for posting such a fantastic review. The staff and I are thrilled we were able to provide you with such excellent service. As well, I am so happy to read that you enjoyed our grab-and-go breakfast and all of the amenities our hotel has to offer.

Thank you again for your review. It will be a great pleasure, to keep making your stay the best "home away from home" experience you have ever had.
Albany, Oregon
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

I booked a night last minute through Hotwire. That night we were returning from Yosemite to Oregon and deiced to stop in Berkeley to see a concert and stay an extra night in CA. I made the reservation at about 10 p.m. right as the concert got over. Due to traffic, etc. we didn’t make it to Oakland until right before 11 p.m. The guy at the front desk (Patrick) was slightly difficult to understand. He told us we couldn’t check in and the reservation was “no good” because our names weren’t on some list he was referring to. I tried to show him the confirmation email from Extended Stay America AND Hotwire, but he just shook his head, refused to look at it and said it was no good. He said that because it was after 11 p.m. that Extended Stay America considers it a “new day” and reservations made for that same day didn’t count and we had to make a reservation for a “new night.” He tired to sell us a $249 king room even though we clearly already had a reservation for that night. I told him the circumstances, and that we had made the reservation before 11 p.m. but he didn’t care. I asked to speak to manager and he said he was the only person working. I asked his if there was a curfew for their guests and told him that no where on either Hotwire or Extended Stay America’s website or policies was any mention that reservations for that day were no good unless you checked in before 11 p.m. He said, “sorry there’s nothing I can do.”
Tired and leary eyed, we ended up driving aimlessly for a while and eventually made our way to Vallejo and stayed there. I called Hotwire the next day and told them what happened. They contacted the hotel for me. The hotel’s story was that Patrick thought we made reservations for the day AFTER we were trying to check in, and that we were trying to get an extra night (???) Anyway, the good people at Hotwire refunded our money. Won’t try staying there again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank luckysgirl28
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

We stayed at this hotel because of its close proximity to San Francisco. It was really convienent for us since we had a car so in 15 minutes we were in downtown. The hotel itself was good because of the size of the room as well as amenities. It had a kitchen which allowed us to make breakfast, since one wasn't really offered. I'm not a fan of the grab and go so all we had to do was go across the street to the Target, pick some essentials and we were good to go. The location is good because there are stores close by if you need anything, but having a car is good so you can explore further.
Had I known that there were so many up and coming things in Oakland, I might have tried to see more. They really are trying to revitalize the city and if you have the opportunity to explore, do it.

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank papisan
Also consider these accommodations in or near Oakland
Hilton Garden Inn San Francisco/Oakland Bay Bridge
#11 of 48 in Oakland
4.5 of 5 stars 41 reviews
HYATT house Emeryville / San Francisco Bay Area
Homewood Suites by Hilton Oakland-Waterfront

Been to Extended Stay America - Oakland - Emeryville? Share your experiences!