“Surprisingly good” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #28 of 48 Hotels in Oakland
Chicago, Illinois
“Surprisingly good”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

We stayed at this hotel because of its close proximity to San Francisco. It was really convienent for us since we had a car so in 15 minutes we were in downtown. The hotel itself was good because of the size of the room as well as amenities. It had a kitchen which allowed us to make breakfast, since one wasn't really offered. I'm not a fan of the grab and go so all we had to do was go across the street to the Target, pick some essentials and we were good to go. The location is good because there are stores close by if you need anything, but having a car is good so you can explore further.
Had I known that there were so many up and coming things in Oakland, I might have tried to see more. They really are trying to revitalize the city and if you have the opportunity to explore, do it.

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank papisan

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2013

This has got to be the Worst Hotel we have ever stayed at!!!! Since we checked in it was a disappointment. Apparently they did not have any non smoking rooms available so we ended up in a smoking room having 2 kids with us; a 7 year old and 4 year old. The room was horrible!!! Since you opened the door, the smell was discussting!!!! The bed seemed dirty and it was hard as a wall. Good luck with all the loud annoying noise every time you turned on the shower. I swear the walls were going to come down with that loud noisy. This was the worst experience we have ever had in a hotel. And it was not just us, everyone that we saw at check in were complaining and unhappy. Not worth the money!!!!!

• Stayed May 2013
1 Thank Cindyruiz
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Oakland - Emeryville, responded to this review, May 29, 2013
Cindy - I received a copy of your review, and wanted to take a moment to personally respond. Please accept our most sincere apologies for the level of cleanliness in your room and the loud noise that was coming from the bathroom shower. We are working with our maintenance personnel to determine the cause of this noise to assure this doesn't affect any guests stays moving forward. As well, the housekeeping staff is working to eliminate the odor.

We pride ourselves in our guest services and continually work to improve our hotel, so I really appreciate you providing us with your feedback. Please contact me, at emy@extendedstay.com, if you would like to discuss this further. I do hope that you will return to our hotel, or any other Extended Stay Hotels location in the future.
Toronto, Ontario
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

We stayed two nights during one of the busiest weekends of the year, Berkeley graduation.

I want four things in a hotel room: clean, quiet, hot showers, and relatively odour free. Unfortunately we only got one of those this last weekend.

When we arrived we were given a room that smelled like rancid cooked fish. We tried to identify the source of the smell and when we opened the microwave it was evident that it hadn't been cleaned. There were large food chunks on the ceiling and walls of the microwave.

We asked to be relocated but were told that there were no more rooms available and that maybe we could be relocated the next day but that they were sold out for that day even though it was clear that others hadn't checked in yet.

To be fair, Jerry, the clerk, was very quick to come in and clean the microwave, and did take a picture of the offensiveness. He also sprayed unscented Febreeze around the room to try to take the smell away. The microwave was clean, but the smell still made me gasp every time I walked through the door. Olfactory fatigue set in pretty quickly though so we were really only annoyed the first minute we walked into the room.

It is a hotel with kitchenettes so food odours are probably to be expected but this was too strong.

In addition our shoes quickly became sticky from walking on the floor. That turned out to be a gap in where the vinyl flooring met the carpet and where liquid adhesive still oozed out. We covered the offending areas with tissues and that seemed to help. There are sticky patches on the carpet, whether they're from that issue or from other things we're not sure. We didn't go barefoot in the room.

It took forever to get anything remotely resembling hot water in either the bathroom sink or the shower. The tub quickly filled with water even with the drain open. I removed the tub plug to see if that would help it drain, and it did, but only after I removed black gunky gross stuff from the drain. I settled for a lukewarm shower the first day. We were able to get warmer water the second day, but only if we were willing to listen to massive water hammer that we're sure woke up the neighbours.

We do not mind staying in lower quality hotels and some of our favourite hotels have had worn carpet and saggy beds. But we paid $150/night for this. Granted, this was cheap relative to other options in the area because it was graduation weekend. And maybe when the hotel isn't as busy it has more buffer so that it can shuffle the bad rooms out of circulation. I wouldn't have minded the hotel if I had had a room that one of my parents had had.

As others have said, the location is reasonable and we actually slept fairly well. Wifi was free and fast.

But it's very unlikely that we would return to this hotel and possibly even the chain.

Room Tip: Don't book on a busy weekend, or if you do, arrive early, just in case there are issues and mayb...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Oakland - Emeryville, responded to this review, May 28, 2013
We hope you enjoyed Berkeley's Graduation!

Thank you for providing us with details about your stay. The situations you described regarding the level of cleanliness in your room, the lack of hot water in your shower and the slight odor in the hallways are truly regrettable. We are very sorry for your experience. As this hotel’s manager, I can assure you that I am working with the maintenance and housekeeping staff to ensure your experience is not repeated.

The staff and I appreciate your comments, as it will only help us to improve. Please contact me, at emy@extendedstay.com, if you would like to discuss this further. I do hope that you will return to our hotel, or any of our other brand locations across the U.S. and Canada in the future.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

The location is extremely convenient as it is situated right next to a a Best Buy and across the street from a Target. Lots of restaurant and fast food places within walking distance.

The double room was roomy and clean enough.

Front desk service was courteous.

Kitchen was clean and functioned well.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank JCLi
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Oakland - Emeryville, responded to this review, May 10, 2013
Thank you so much for posting a review of our property. I am glad to read that you were pleased with the location, service and cleanliness of our hotel.

Atlanta, Georgia, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

I was very skeptical about staying alone In Oakland, but staff here made me feel right at home. Property is well lit, clean, and I noticed staff payed attention when I exited the building in the dark and that made me feel safe. I was there for 6 weeks, staff was smiling and extra friendly every single day. Great job Aaron! This has been my best hotel experience ever.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Oakland - Emeryville, responded to this review, April 25, 2013
Thank you for allowing us to provide you with your best hotel stay ever! I love hearing that our team was able to accommodate and provide a memorable experience to guests like yourself.

Thank you again for posting your review! I am so glad that we were able to make you feel at home. I do hope that you will return to our hotel, or any of our other brand locations, in the future.
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

My husband and I got back last night from a two night stay at this hotel. Let me say that this was our first time ever staying at this hotel chain so I was not aware of their policy of no housekeeping. We had a room on the second floor with a king size bed and we could see the freeway from our window. The room was very clean with a small kitchen. I did not care for the bed but my husband thought it was comfortable. The first night (Friday) the place was very noisy. We woke up to noise coming from the outside of the hotel and then the inside as well including people banging on our door and the walls. In the morning, we mentioned it to the clerk (Jerry) at the front desk and he said there was a party and they had called security but security could not get there until 2am. Jerry was not sympathetic or apologetic at all. We got the impression he did not care.
The second day (Sat) we came back to our room around 4:30pm after a long day in San Francisco to find out our room was exactly the way we had left it. Like I said, I was not aware that their policy is "no housekeeping services". I went downstairs to ask and that's when I was told they only clean the room once every eight days but they would gladly give me towels if requested. This hotel does not have a hair dryer in the room and no business center either. I also think their non-smoking policies are very lax since I smelled cigarette in the hallway and I saw a man with a cigarette in the hallway. They have free Wi-Fi but I much rather have a business center in which to check my flights and print my boarding pass. The "grab-and-go" breakfast consist of a small counter with coffee, oatmeal packets, prepackaged muffins, granola bars and some fresh fruits. When we checked out on Sunday morning we were asked if we enjoyed our stay. Again we said the first night was noisy and again the clerk (Jerry) never showed any sympathy and did not seem to care.
We were very disappointed with our stay here and will probably not stay at this hotel chain again.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars
Thank you for the feedback about your stay at our hotel. The situation you described regarding our service is truly regrettable. We are very sorry for your experience. As this hotel’s manager, I can assure you that I have met with all associates to ensure your experience is not repeated.

We continually work to improve our hotel, so I really appreciate you providing us with your feedback. I invite you to contact me, at arahimi@extendedstay.com, if you have any additional comments. Thank you for choosing Extended Stay Hotels. We hope we have the opportunity to see you again in the future.
Oberlin, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

Never stayed in an Extended Stay America hotel before, but I must say it was wonderful to have the little kitchen, and the laundry, which I used. Everything is clean and in working order. Location is near the freeway, but this also is very convenient for accessing Oakland, Emeryville stores, Berkeley, and back over to San Francisco if want to go there.
Be aware: The most amazing staff in the world works here! They are respectful, kind, and helpful to everyone. A most delightful surprise, this place! thank you!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars
Also consider these accommodations in or near Oakland
Hilton Garden Inn San Francisco/Oakland Bay Bridge
#11 of 48 in Oakland
4.5 of 5 stars 41 reviews
HYATT house Emeryville / San Francisco Bay Area
Homewood Suites by Hilton Oakland-Waterfront

Been to Extended Stay America - Oakland - Emeryville? Share your experiences!