The Washington Inn
$129
ClarionHotels
  • Restaurant
Savings alert! 11% below average rates

The price you found is 11% lower than this hotel's average rate of $145/night.

$159
Marriott Hotels
Savings alert! 22% below average rates

The price you found is 22% lower than this hotel's average rate of $204/night.

Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites(Oakland)(Great Value!)
$110
  • Breakfast included
Savings alert! 17% below average rates

The price you found is 17% lower than this hotel's average rate of $132/night.

$226
$169
Travelocity
All reviewsyogurtcouple blockswi fibartbroadway
Reviewed July 29, 2012

We stayed at the Washington Inn on a Saturday night. When we showed up at 3PM to check-in, there were a couple of folks decorating the lobby for a high school reunion. I braced myself for what might become an annoyingly loud party. When I walked up to the desk, the clerk was on the phone with what seems to be a customer-related call, but he didn't even bother to look up at me to signal that he acknowledges my presence. I proceeded to wait 5 minutes, and when he finally got off the phone he still barely glanced at me. I had to thrust my ID at him to get his attention. By then, I should have just turned around and left, but I'd already paid for the room so we were stuck. Speaking of which, I just checked my credit card account and there seems to be an additional $100 charge on my card from the Inn. I guess I'll have to call them tomorrow.

We returned to the hotel at around 11PM to find that the party was still raging on on the ground level. Our room was on the third floor. When we got to the room, we heard and felt the thumping music. This continued until 2AM. A call to the front desk at around 1AM to report a man outside of our room screaming obscenities and threats yielded no response.

The following morning, when I complained about the party to the front desk staff, the smirk that I got from the clerk made me want to reach over the counter and slap it right off his face.

This place is horrible, and staff the most unprofessional I have ever met. I will NEVER stay at this place again.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Sammi T
Reviewed July 26, 2012

This is a great location if you want to be in downtown Oakland. Chinatown is 2 blocks away, the Marriot convention center is across the street, with great restaurants from cheap to pricey within walking distance. The hotel is economical: bed comfort is ok, linens are clean, wifi is free, service is there. This is not a fancy place. It gets a bit stuffy on really warm days if you are in an inside room. The staff is friendly if not always on top of things, and quick to fix any problems. The continental breakfast is ok if you don't mind processed food (cereal, white toast, and packaged pastries but no fruit or whole grains here). The elevator is charmingly quaint, but so slow that it encourages you to take a flight of stairs or two. I would definitely stay here again for a conference.

Room Tip: If you are one or two people sharing a bed, get an outside view room for air circulation.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed July 24, 2012

Our stay was a Saturday night. There was a big, crowded party in the lobby with deafening techno music. We asked for a quiet room and the guy at front desk gave us a second floor room, whose floor was shaking. There was a stair immediately next to the door from inside and I almost fell to the ground when I first stepped into the room. We asked to switch room, and was sent to a third floor one and we could still feel the floor vibrating and hear the heavy beats of the music. We were told that's the quietest room we could get "because you arrived late." That's ridiculous. Our hotel room floor was shaking not because we arrived late, but because you guys took money to turn the lobby into a mad house, completely ignoring the benefits of the other hotel guests. When I asked when the music would stop, the guys simply said "2am" with a blank face. During the entire encounter with the front desk staff, I didn't heard a single "sorry" about the loud music. That's the worst experience I've had with a hotel stay and we will NEVER consider staying there again.

Other aspects: Elevator smells terrible and looks antique and seems to be ready to break down any moment. The room itself is in ok condition, though definitely not kept up well. Linens are clean though. The room smelled badly when we first entered (the AC was off. ) . There was no parking for guests. We had to first park on the parking lot for Smart & Final, which was full of waste papers, plastic bags and other, to the left side of the hotel, and then moved to street parking before 8am so that it wouldn't be towed.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank DDD H
Reviewed July 23, 2012

This is a lovely, historic European-style hotel perfectly located in Old Oakland. Someone did a very tasteful renovation a few years back, and the current management tries to maintain those standards without cutting too many corners. All the staff, especially the manager, were bend-over-backwards helpful and friendly - there just weren't quite enough of them the night I was there. Room was perfect for me, big enough for a writing desk. No closet, but plenty of room to hang a few things in the armoire that housed the TV. Bathroom was modern and clean, except for the bath tile grout, but its space could have been used more efficiently - a shelf unit behind the door would have been nice. Bed was very comfortable, linens were nice, towels fluffy and clean, carpet looked great, curtains blocked the light fine. Nice tall windows that opened onto the street, which was great until a refrigerator semi parked outside my window all night (no fault of the hotel). Ate at the restaurant, encouraged by a coupon from the hotel and found the food and menu perfect. Unfortunately, there seemed to be some problem with either the wait staff or the kitchen, as it took nearly an hour to get my food. Server was very sweet, but made no attempt to explain the delay. This place has so much character and charm, for such a reasonable rate, that all such annoyances ended up seeming minor. I enjoyed my short stay, and hope to repeat it.

Room Tip: Try not to face 10th St
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed July 22, 2012

You could scarcely ask for a better location than The Washington Inn - less than two blocks from a BART station, right in the middle of downtown Oakland. While "luxury" is too strong a word, "historic" definitely applies, and the former adjective may be appropriate when renovations are finished. Our room was spacious and well-appointed, with a decent-sized, modernized bathroom. Ceilings are high, and the lobby's old-fashioned ceiling is reminiscent of the tin-plate fashionable over 100 years ago. Our room had a step down from the entry/bathroom to the bed, and we tripped over that unanticipated step until we got used to it. Breakfast was disappointing - cold cereal, coffee and muffins. The price was moderate for the area, so we can't complain. We didn't try it, but there is a restaurant on the premises with an interesting menu.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family