“Good value for downtown/convention ctr” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Washington Inn

The Washington Inn
Ranked #24 of 49 Hotels in Oakland
San Francisco, California
“Good value for downtown/convention ctr”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2012

I had a good experience here. Friendly staff, nice older boutique hotel with clean, comfortable rooms. Slept well. It was quiet on the fourth floor. If you've never stayed in a hotel built before 1980, it may not be your thing, but I like the quirky style of a hotel from a previous era. It has all the amenities you need, including wicked fast wifi.

Stayed July 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
Rosedale, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2012

This place has a lot of character. It's old, but at one time, not that long ago was nicely renovated. It just hasn't been kept up. This really interesting building just needs owners that will do some basic maintenance and repairs, as well as give it a fresh coat of paint. Unfortunately, there are quite a few scuff marks and dings on many of the walls. This is very evident in the hallways upstairs. The walls in my bedroom also had big scuff marks. Also, one of the first things you come across after leaving the front desk is the elevator (not very appealing). I did take a good look at it and I think that if the flooring could be replaced and some restoration done on the rest of it, that would help a lot. Another thing that I need to make a comment on is the bedding. The all-white top comforter was dingy looking and a bit smelly. Keeping something like that clean for multiple guests has got to be very difficult, which is why I think that a colored bed covering in a somewhat thinner material would be much easier to launder and keep attractive. Hopefully the owners of the Washington Inn will spend some time evaluating each room and work towards improving it. I think it could be a really nice place if it got some TLC. So would I stay there again? No, not until some elbow grease is put into making the property what it deserves to be..a lovely old hotel.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank IndigoSea
Williamstown, New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2012

I stayed at the hotel during the week of 6/26/12. I opted out of staying across the street at the two Marriotts mostly because I wanted privacy from the hordes of coworkers who were attending a work function. This hotel is not a Marriott. It's older, clean, with a courteous staff. The rooms are adequate size but on the small side. The bathrooms did not have a sink. The pedestal sinks were in the room. Adequate towels. Air conditioning worked well, not that you need it on the bay.The room had a very small closet, adequate drawer space. The elevator was very small and slow. Lots of neat restaurants nearby, along with the waterfront. I recommend the vegan restaurant for something different, inexpensive and delicious. I felt completely safe in this area.

The only problem I had was with the room key. I had to get it reimaged every day. A coworker did not have any issues with the key. Maybe it was just with my room. They usually have one person at the front desk so getting assistance was sometimes slow. Overall the room was adequate, close to lots of restaurants and the BART, rates very reasonable.. I would probably stay again. .

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Enterprise, FL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2012

We were looking for a budget place for one night near the airport but didn't want the typical airport inn. This place serves the downtown near the convention center and was only fifteen minutes from the airport before rush hour. It's older but well kept; our room was small but clean. The staff was friendly, gladly going online to print boarding passes for us. There is a nice bar in the lobby and an adjoining restaurant. We didn't eat there but it looked pretty good. We opted instead for brew pub next door. We found free street parking directly across from entrance. Tip: If leaving early before light, stay in hotel until you get the car out front; in the time it took me to back the car from across the street, my wife was approached by panhandler.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
montana
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2012

This place is old. Which can be great if kept up. The hard part was that our room could of heated a pizza and we couldn't adjust the temperature. The hallway felt fine, so we propped our door open for as long as we could to try and acclimate the temperature. The location was as good as it gets, next to BART station and 10 blocks from the ferry. The B bus is free and runs until 7pm to access the ferry/Jack London square. We tried the Happy Hour items that are served between 5 and 7. It was okay. Having said all that, the best part of the Hotel is the friendly staff.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars
1 Thank estrella-bella
Shingle Springs, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2012

Again not for all. Yes it is older so the rooms are smaller. Parts have been refurbished and others not. We seemed to always luck out for the parking. Being across the street from the Marriot convenion center, it is actually closer than staying in the hotel. It worked for us and we would stay there again.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars
Boston, Massachusetts
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2012

This is a low cost hotel and that's the good news. The rooms are small, but OK. The place is old and there hasn't been much attempt to bring it up to date. The real concern is the step down just after you enter the room. It is easy to fall, and my wife did and hurt her ankle. I reported it to the desk and asked for an incident report to be filled out. We didn't know how bad it was. I was told there was no official incident report and the next day the manager, after I went to see him, got my name, address, email address, etc., and wrote it on a scrap of paper. He told me he would send me an email confirming my report to him of this incident. He never did. Even a week after I returned home and I called him and he promised me he would send it out, two weeks later it hasn't arrived. So not only can you hurt yourself here, management doesn't want to be responsible. No kidding, this was a fluke of a thing to happen, but it tells you what sort of people you are dealing with. And by the way, miss the "included breakfast," go out, spend a few dollars, and have something worth eating.

Room Tip: Make sure you carry insurance