New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of The Washington Inn

The Washington Inn
Ranked #24 of 49 Hotels in Oakland
Dallas, Texas
“Great service, friendly staff - will stay there again!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2011

We booked on-line and only had pictures to go off of and i was pleasantly surprised! Great service, room was clean and charming and the hotel staff was very friendly and helpful! It has a great restaraunt too! It was close to the BART and in a great area! I would recommend to anyone! It made our trip to Oakland a wonderful experience!

Room Tip: We stayed on the top floor and could leave our windows open to get a great breeze!
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
      Location
      Rooms
    • 5 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
Wichita, Kansas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2011

One of the worst experiences in traveling. I couldn't sleep because I thought there were bedbugs. I am going to ask for a full refund. The guy at front desk was new and had no help. I had made previous reservations and took me over 25 minutes to check in.

DON"T STAY HERE

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank JackStraw0430

Travelers are raving about these Oakland hotels

Hooper, Utah
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2011

When we arrived, I was surprised I had to walk through the "bar" area to get to the front desk. The elevator was old, very small, and scary. When I arrived at my room, I had quite a bit of trouble with my room key. I had to swipe my key 10-15 times for it to finally release the door. At first sight, I didn't think it had a toilet or tub as I only saw the sink in the main room. This was quite odd. There actually was a separate room for the toilet and tub, but the walls were so thin in there, I could hear all conversations the people next door would have. It was noisy and I was actually wondering if they were renting rooms by the hour. I did advise the front desk of my key problem. They only advised me how to properly swipe it (which I already knew). This didn't help with unlocking my door for entry. I would never stay here again.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 stars
1 Thank emrald5769
Atwater
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2011

The sheets were not clean and they had holes. I asked for another room, but they claimed they were sold out (doubt it). I asked for new sheets and they brought me new sheets that still didn't seem really clean, but at least didn't have hair all over them (gross). The carpet was wet and the sink is not in the bathroom, but it is near the carpet which is the only reason I can see for the carpet to be wet. It was unusually cold in Oakland and the room was very cold. The location was the only good thing about this hotel (close to Jack London square and Paramount theater). I had trouble falling asleep and told myself at least it is better than sleeping on the streets. I hardly ever feel compelled to write a review of a hotel. This was by far one of the top 2 dirties hotels I've ever stayed in.

Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank pjkjdmp
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2011

Used this hotel as a home base to go to baseball games at Oakland Coliseum. It's about 1 1/2 block to the BART station. Staff were very welcoming and helpful at checkin, taking time to tell me about amenities in the hotel and neighborhood. Room was small...but hey, it's an older hotel with lots of charm. If I wanted big and sterile I'd have stayed across the street. Room was spotless and very comfortable with marvelous duvet. Only negative was that continental breakfast was kind of skimpy but overall, I was really very happy with everything, including the price.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the street have better light
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled solo
Portland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2011

Was hesitant after reading some negative reviews but liked the positive ones too. Also concern with safety issues with walking around in evening. Turned out hotel was a little gem in a GREAT downtown Oakland location. Yes it was an older hotel built in 1913 with old creaky iron grill elevator, lobby with big long bar (former saloon), pedestal sink in bedroom, small hexagonal floor tiles - all which gave character to the hotel. Room was small (we didn't spend much time there anyway) with very comfortable bed, desk with lamp and chair, bedside table with reading lamp, armoire closet, minifridge, coffeemaker, good size clean bathroom, internet access, and windows that open to fresh air! Didn't hear any noise above or outside the room. Doors were not modern automatic-shut so no slamming door noise. Continental breakfast (toast, cereal, sweet bread, milk, juice, coffee) each morning was simple but adequate. Definitely reminded us of an older European hotel at well under $100/nt. Parking ($12/day) with in/out privileges across street in parking lot structure. Grocery store next door. Convenient downtown location right off Broadway (free city bus up and down Broadway St from Jack London Square up to Lake Merritt). BART one block away. Will definitely stay here again when in Oakland.

Room Tip: Inside rooms claustrophobic as look over skylight.
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
3 Thank slc49
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2011

I stayed at the Washington Inn May 14-16, 2011. I arrived late because of Amtrak, but the lobby is staffed 24 hours a day. Huge plus for my 2:30AM arrival. My room was spotless, the bed very comfortable. The price was very resonable when compared to the surrounding area. The continental breakfast was lacking, but hey , it was free so what do you expect. The location is a good base for the whole SF- Oakland area. Two block walk to BART. You can't beat that. I was pleasantly surprised especially after reading some of the negative reviews, but I would definately stay here again when I visit the area. This is truly a hidden gem.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled solo