“Glad to see it thriving in the neighborhood!”
Review of Hawker Fare

Hawker Fare
Ranked #643 of 1,289 Restaurants in Oakland
Cuisines: Asian
Reviewed February 20, 2012

The food and service were fine -- the value is good! Just not as excited as I'd hoped to be given the name and the instant reference (for me) to Singaporean food delights!!

Reviewed September 24, 2011

I was taken here by a foodie friend who lives in Oakland. We're both Asian, and have been used to Asian street food all our lives, so maybe our expectations were just too high. The food wasn't bad, just very average. Blistered green beans way over-seasoned; beef short rib rice bowl a bit bland; shrimp curry rice bowl (special of the day) pretty good; condensed-milk soft-serve cone kind of pleasant. Service was nice enough but slow and scattered. Noise level was deafening. I've had so many excellent meals in Oakland in the past that I'm disappointed that my one East Bay dining opportunity on this trip was at this over-hyped place.

Reviewed August 21, 2011

The chef from Commis opened this Asian Streetfood place. Everything is under $10 and the food is top-notch. The dishes are all rice bowls and there's usually one special a day. The flavors are authentic from chili spiced green beans to coconut milk braised tofu to the house-made sausage, lemon-grass chicken, beef ribs, etc. The wait is long if you go prime time, particularly on weekends so if you don't want to wait, go early. And don't miss the sundae for dessert.