“Clean, Great Staff.... Location??”

Homewood Suites by Hilton Oakland-Waterfront
Ranked #8 of 49 Hotels in Oakland
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed September 16, 2013

The staff at the hotel was extremely friendly and efficient. There were about 5-6 people checking in at once, so someone came up to help out and get people checked-in. I waited maybe 5 minutes max.
The rooms are very roomy and include a kitchen. I was on the parking lot side of the hotel, so I heard a car alarm going off a few times throughout the night. This is not the hotels fault, so I am not downgrading the place because of the alarm. I would, however, STRONGLY encourage you to get a third floor odd numbered room on the marina (water) side of the hotel. I am sure it will be both quieter and a much nicer view.
Breakfast was nice too.
I got out to the breakfast area around 8am and it was not crowded at all. The front desk said the hotel was totally full, so I was shocked that there was so many open tables in the breakfast area.
The only downfall is the location.
It is in a very desolate part of the waterfront. Yes, Jack London square is only a few blocks away..... But wow! it is a rough few blocks. I am a 45 year old man and I would NEVER walk in that area at night, EVER! Take a look on street view.... ouch!
I did eat at the sausage and beer place just outside the hotel (on the marina). It was filled with locals and had good beers and great sausage! HIGHLY recommended!
I was in town of meetings in downtown oakland. It was not very convenient for me, but they did have a shuttle that went into town every 30 minutes, so it is not terrible. The hotel may be better for tourists with a car (free parking).

Room Tip: Get an odd numbered room! they overlook the water... not the parking lot!
2  Thank Irvine-Robbie
There are newer reviews for Homewood Suites by Hilton Oakland-Waterfront

Reviewed September 16, 2013

This hotel is a great alternative to paying the high prices and parking fees for hotels in San Francisco. The hotel was convenient, staff was friendly, great amenities. We had a bay view and were very pleased with our decision to stay here. Although the area was not the greatest, we had no problems during our stay.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Homewood Suites by Hilton
Darcella W, Director of Sales at Homewood Suites by Hilton Oakland-Waterfront, responded to this reviewResponded November 7, 2013

We are very pleased you enjoyed your stay with our hotel. We strive to get to know each of our guests. I will certainly share your comment with the rest of the staff. I hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed September 16, 2013

I stayed at the Homewood Oakland-Waterfront in mid-August and it was a nice place. Well kept, nice landscaping, nice accommodations. It was nice to have breakfast each morning, although the food is somewhat pedestrian and a little odd sometimes (pre-cooked omelettes from frozen?). Coffee was not the best but palatable with the flavoured creamers - hey, I'm a coffee snob! Staff were great, very friendly and accommodating - answered any questions I had. The hotel is a bit out of the way, and the port lands in the area are a bit decrepit which might worry some folks, but it's perfectly ok. Great if you have a car with the free parking. The first half of my stay was in a street side room (could be noisy with the freeway but I'm a sound sleeper), and the second half was in a waterview room (very nice, much quieter).

Room Tip: Rooms on the water are much quieter with a better view
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
Darcella W, Director of Sales at Homewood Suites by Hilton Oakland-Waterfront, responded to this reviewResponded October 8, 2013

Reviewed September 9, 2013

25min from San Francisco by Bart or car, yet feel like a quiet vacation on the water. Lovely break from urban noise. The staff are helpful and kind. The waterfront is lovely...especially wonderful water fowl!

1  Thank Mado K
Darcella W, Director of Sales at Homewood Suites by Hilton Oakland-Waterfront, responded to this reviewResponded September 12, 2013

Reviewed September 9, 2013

I love EVERYTHING about this Homewood Suites... The staff is wonderful and very pleasant, the food is great, and the bed is extremely comfortable. I come to this Homewood about twice a week for business... It's nice to know that when I'm away from home, I'm treated like I'm home here... I wouldn't and won't chose anywhere else to say.

Reviewed September 9, 2013

Stayed here on business in early September 2013 as my typical Hilton locations were already booked up or had prices outside of my expense budget for this trip. I was pleasantly surprised with the location. Check-in was smooth and friendly. Accomodations were nice though a bit dated. Great recommendation for a dinner restaurant. :)

Reviewed September 3, 2013

We had a one night reservation. We chose this hotel because it was a mile from the Oakland ferry terminal, and because the rooms had the choice of a suite. We have an 18 month old and it is very convenient to have a bedroom that has a door. The room was very nice. It was very clean and very spacious. Flat screen tv's in all of the rooms (king room, queen room, and living area). Had a full kitchen, with dishes and towels, pots and pans, silverware, etc. The facility is very nice. Serves a great continental breakfast (eggs, bisquits, gravy, fruit salad, sausage, oatmeal, toast, bagels, yogert, etc. They have free dinner also, but only on week nights. We were there on Sunday, so not sure about that. The Wifi was okay. It took a while but the girl at the front desk explained the directions very well, So I eventually got on. They have microwave popcorn in your room, as well as some tea and coffee. They do take pets, but you have to pay a $75 fee. We didn't bring a pet this time, but I always check because we usually bring our big dog.
Cons: our key cards never seemed to work very well. Spent alot of time "trying" the cards before doors would unlock. All of the doors slam very hard. That being said the hall way was actually pretty quiet. The hotel is in an aweful part of town. Nothing there except graffti. There was a resturant right next door, but it was mostly a bar, so they served bar food. The pool had hours of use....9am to 10pm. This annoys me to no end. I am paying x amount of money, I should be able to use the pool whenever I feel like it. The bay trail runs right along the hotel, so one side of the hotel has a great view with porches. The other is the city side. If you can help it, you shouldn't get the city side. Very noisey...Freeway close enough to hear everything all night. Garbage truck banging around very early in the morning. There was no telephone book in our room, and very little info in the hotel "handbook" as far as area attractions, and resturants. The only other werid thing is that the hotel is set up strange. Our room was in the middle, and there were no doors going into the middle of the hotel. This hotel has 3 floors, so we had to carry everything to one of the side doors and all the way thru the hotel. For the most part, the hotel was very nice. The staff was very friendly. It was convienent, clean, and suited our needs.

Room Tip: Try to be on the estuary side of the hotel if possible. City side is noisy.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family