“Great hotel with great waterfront views”

Homewood Suites by Hilton Oakland-Waterfront
Ranked #9 of 49 Hotels in Oakland
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed September 9, 2013

Stayed here on business in early September 2013 as my typical Hilton locations were already booked up or had prices outside of my expense budget for this trip. I was pleasantly surprised with the location. Check-in was smooth and friendly. Accomodations were nice though a bit dated. Great recommendation for a dinner restaurant. :)

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Homewood Suites by Hilton
Darcella W, Director of Sales at Homewood Suites by Hilton Oakland-Waterfront, responded to this reviewResponded September 12, 2013

We are very pleased you enjoyed your stay with our hotel. We strive to get to know each of our guests. I will certainly share your comment with the rest of the staff. I hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back soon.

There are newer reviews for Homewood Suites by Hilton Oakland-Waterfront

Reviewed September 3, 2013

We had a one night reservation. We chose this hotel because it was a mile from the Oakland ferry terminal, and because the rooms had the choice of a suite. We have an 18 month old and it is very convenient to have a bedroom that has a door. The room was very nice. It was very clean and very spacious. Flat screen tv's in all of the rooms (king room, queen room, and living area). Had a full kitchen, with dishes and towels, pots and pans, silverware, etc. The facility is very nice. Serves a great continental breakfast (eggs, bisquits, gravy, fruit salad, sausage, oatmeal, toast, bagels, yogert, etc. They have free dinner also, but only on week nights. We were there on Sunday, so not sure about that. The Wifi was okay. It took a while but the girl at the front desk explained the directions very well, So I eventually got on. They have microwave popcorn in your room, as well as some tea and coffee. They do take pets, but you have to pay a $75 fee. We didn't bring a pet this time, but I always check because we usually bring our big dog.
Cons: our key cards never seemed to work very well. Spent alot of time "trying" the cards before doors would unlock. All of the doors slam very hard. That being said the hall way was actually pretty quiet. The hotel is in an aweful part of town. Nothing there except graffti. There was a resturant right next door, but it was mostly a bar, so they served bar food. The pool had hours of use....9am to 10pm. This annoys me to no end. I am paying x amount of money, I should be able to use the pool whenever I feel like it. The bay trail runs right along the hotel, so one side of the hotel has a great view with porches. The other is the city side. If you can help it, you shouldn't get the city side. Very noisey...Freeway close enough to hear everything all night. Garbage truck banging around very early in the morning. There was no telephone book in our room, and very little info in the hotel "handbook" as far as area attractions, and resturants. The only other werid thing is that the hotel is set up strange. Our room was in the middle, and there were no doors going into the middle of the hotel. This hotel has 3 floors, so we had to carry everything to one of the side doors and all the way thru the hotel. For the most part, the hotel was very nice. The staff was very friendly. It was convienent, clean, and suited our needs.

Room Tip: Try to be on the estuary side of the hotel if possible. City side is noisy.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed September 3, 2013

My son is staying her for work (extended stay). I came to visit for the Labor Day weekend and was pleased to find out the hotel was pet friendly. Also, the breakfasts were wonderful and the view is beautiful!

Room Tip: A room with a view of the bay.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank BarbCooper
Darcella W, Director of Sales at Homewood Suites by Hilton Oakland-Waterfront, responded to this reviewResponded September 5, 2013

Reviewed September 3, 2013

Great hotel and staff. Very friendly with easy shuttle to BART to get to San Fran in minutes. The evening meal was great! Free beer and wine. Only down side is that there is not much within walking distance although the shuttle will take you lots of places.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business

Reviewed August 30, 2013

Not updated hotel in not a very good area of town. Staff was very kind. The view was good. Dangerous part of town. We stayed there because it was close to our children. Convienent for them to pick us up.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Homewood Suites by Hilton

I sincerely apologize if you felt unsafe staying at our hotel. We do have security that monitors the hotel carefully. The comfort and safety of our guests is our number one concerns. If I can assist you further, please let me know. I hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back soon.
Thank you.

Reviewed August 30, 2013

This was a last minute reservation and was very pleased with the hotel staff and our suite. Everything was clean and in working order. The complimentary breakfast was also great. Would definitely recommend this to other families looking for lodging in the Oakland area.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Homewood Suites by Hilton
Darcella W, Director of Sales at Homewood Suites by Hilton Oakland-Waterfront, responded to this reviewResponded September 4, 2013

Reviewed August 29, 2013

We parked on the hotel property and in the night someone broke into our car and robbed us. In the morning I was able to borrow a shop vac from the maintenance guy and he told me this happens a lot. No one told me not to park where we did. There is a Home Depot about 5 miles away if you need some duct tape for temporary window repairs.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Homewood Suites by Hilton

I sincerely apologize for the unfortunate experience you had during your stay with us. The comfort and safety of our guests is my number one concern and I appreciate your speed in bringing this incident to my attention and allowing me to follow up with our security team. If I can assist you further, please let me know. Thank you.