“Oh so worth the price!”

Homewood Suites by Hilton Oakland-Waterfront
Ranked #8 of 49 Hotels in Oakland
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed September 14, 2012

We were looking into suites since we had our 17 year exchange student and wanted to him to have his own room. When we found this for the Saturday of the Giants ~ Dodgers game for $159 and tax it was a perfect deal! We loved that it was within walking distance to the Jack London Ferry that took us directly to the AT&T Stadium. We even got there very early and our room was ready.
We had the two bedroom waterfront suite and it was perfect for our newly formed little family.

Both bedrooms were large with their own bath and flatscreen TV. One with a King the other Queen bed. Perfect. Very comfortable bedding and each room their own climate control. There was a middle living room with kitchen. This would have been even more perfect for a family of more! There was a mid size fridge, dishwasher, sink and double stove top and all the cooking utensils. Also in the area was a small kitchen table, fold out couch, Flat screen TV and chair. Very comfortable. All of us were very impressed.

Breakfast the following morning was perfect for our 17 year old. Made to order!

Great price and everything you need. Free parking with security, too. On this given trip I did not try the internet so I can't address it or the pool. A certain keeper on our hotel list!!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family

Reviewed September 13, 2012

The thing that stands out most about this hotel is the amazing staff. Happy, polite, accommodating and they take great pride in this property.
The rooms very greatly depending on what building you are in, if you have a city view (trains and the freeway) or the water view, and what size room you have. I was here for a few days twice and was in the smaller rooms that lack a kitchen, but I was totally satisfied with what I got for these short stays.
Monday - Thursday they cook dinner for you and serve free beer and wine which is a great perk at Homewood hotels, but this one serves food that is actually pretty good!

Room Tip: Get a water view room in the main building.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed September 10, 2012

We stayed in a 2 bedroom, 2 bathroom water view suite. One bedroom had a queen bed and the other a king bed. My boyfriend and I slept on the king bed. The sheets were old and had spots where the fabric was worn down to the point of being sheer. These semi translucent spots were in the shape of bodily fluids having been on the sheets. I must admit I spent some time trying to determine if there was actually bodily fluids present. After determining it probably wasn't, I decided to try and sleep since it was already past midnight. I didn't sleep well since I was concerned about the sheet and I could hear water being used in other rooms. I didn't call front desk for new sheets since I felt like it would've been a hassle being so late and my boyfriend was already asleep. In the morning, there was the very loud constant sound of doors shutting. It would wake me up each time. On the plus side, there is plenty of free parking, free Wi-Fi, and great views on the water side. I also liked that there was a nearly full size fridge in our suite. This was my third stay at this property and it has gotten worse each time. I will be looking for a different place to stay the next time I'm in the Bay Area. Stayed 9.7.12

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
Charles B, General Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Oakland-Waterfront, responded to this reviewResponded September 27, 2012

Hello Aptenodytes,

I would like to apologize for your unfortunate experience during your most recent stay at the Homewood Suites Oakland Waterfront. I understand your concerns in regards to the bedding in your room and I can assure you it is a concern of mine. This is why I have put a program into place to review and replace any and all worn linens. Since my arrival here in Oakland, I have impressed on all of the staff to take "Pride of Ownership" in their job and the hotel. This process has helped to engage the team and I am getting everyone to take a different outlook on how they complete their job. Through this process, the staff has begun to recognize what it is like to be in the guest's shoes.

I do thank you for your response as I value every response, positive or negative. Your feed back is so valuable in assisting me with the on-going improvement of our hotel.

The next time you are in the Bay Area, I do hope you will choose to stay with us and experience all of the improvements we are working on.

Thank you.

Charles G. Brown - General Manager

Reviewed September 4, 2012

Booked this room by phone and was quoted $181.00 and the lady waived the pet fee. When we checked in they said they couldn't waive it and I was tired so we paid the $75 fee. When we arrived an irate woman was yelling and screaming obscenities but the woman checking us in was very calm, I was impressed. The view on the waterfront is fantastic. We got a third story room overlooking the bay. It was very comfortable, clean and well maintained. The staff were ALL friendly. The breakfast was great with lots of options. We had a great place to walk the dog along the bay and really enjoyed the peacefulness of the area. It is right along the freeway which isn't very "pretty" to look at but it is easy access. I would have given this place 5 stars but with the pet fee I don't think it was worth the price.

Room Tip: Ask for a marina view suite, you won't be disappointed.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
DOS67, General Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Oakland-Waterfront, responded to this reviewResponded September 5, 2012

First I would like to apologies for the misunderstanding regarding the pet fee. We will make sure we communicate better with our guest on our policies. Thank you for the great review and description of what our future guest can expect to get at our hotel. We hope to be able to serve you again.

Charles Brown

Reviewed August 30, 2012

Staying at Homewood suites is great. They recently changed a few staff members which are fitting in well. The new GM Charles B. came on board and started fixing little problems right away. The hotel was very clean but now it is even cleaner. It's the small things I notice. The summers are nice out on the patio and the bbq's are great. In the evening it's nice to go for a swim and slip into the hot tub after. The house men are great to. If you need something they are right on the job, Thanks Rudy, Rick, and Francisco. Anyway if you want a nice place to stay for a day or a week this is the place. Thx. Michael. PS I recommed a water side suite

Room Tip: Stay on the water side. It has a very nice view. The street side is a little loud
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business

Mike it's always a pleasure having you stay with you us. You’re like family. Thank you for all the great words about our staff. Please continue to give us your feedback, we greatly appreciate it.
P.S. Keep the BBQ going.. lol

Reviewed August 27, 2012

I stayed here for a week in July and enjoyed my stay. The hotel is very clean and comfortable. Front desk help was great. Now this hotel is off the beat and path for most of the city activities and they promote a shuttle service that is terrible.The driver is rude and not very friendly. I spoke to the new manager and the front desk with regards to the shuttle service. I believe under the new manager this problem will be resolved very soon.
The food was very good and tasty. The Chef was leaving the next week to start his own business and I am so glad I got to meet and have daily chats with him. The grounds were very neat and well kept. I believe there was some renovations going on in another wing but it was not a bother.
Hospitality in the evening was also a plus.

Room Tip: Get a room overlooking the Marina.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 20, 2012

Good place to stay in Oakland. I was fearful about staying in Oakland but this hotel seemed to be safe. It was clean and well equipped. We had a queen suite which had everything you could want. The little extras like microwave popcorn made it homey. Coffee and other hot drinks in lobby all day was nice. Breakfast was good. Dining area too small though. Would stay again.

Room Tip: We picked Bay side which was nice.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family