Homewood Suites by Hilton Oakland-Waterfront
GreenLeadersSilver level
Atlanta
“Nice Hotel”
Reviewed August 27, 2012

I stayed here for a week in July and enjoyed my stay. The hotel is very clean and comfortable. Front desk help was great. Now this hotel is off the beat and path for most of the city activities and they promote a shuttle service that is terrible.The driver is rude and not very friendly. I spoke to the new manager and the front desk with regards to the shuttle service. I believe under the new manager this problem will be resolved very soon.
The food was very good and tasty. The Chef was leaving the next week to start his own business and I am so glad I got to meet and have daily chats with him. The grounds were very neat and well kept. I believe there was some renovations going on in another wing but it was not a bother.
Hospitality in the evening was also a plus.

Room Tip: Get a room overlooking the Marina.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (198)
LI,NY
Reviewed August 20, 2012

Good place to stay in Oakland. I was fearful about staying in Oakland but this hotel seemed to be safe. It was clean and well equipped. We had a queen suite which had everything you could want. The little extras like microwave popcorn made it homey. Coffee and other hot drinks in lobby all day was nice. Breakfast was good. Dining area too small though. Would stay again.

Room Tip: We picked Bay side which was nice.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Gloucestershire
Reviewed August 15, 2012

My wife and I stayed here for 5 days having booked directly on-line. We had a first floor suite overlooking the bay which was comfortable, clean and well equipped. It was spacious and well layed out with a kitchen area, dining table and chairs, sofa, cupboard/wardrobe, chest of drawers and (of course) a bathroom, and there was a balcony overlooking the waterfront.

There was a complimentary breakfast every day and free evening meal Monday - Thursday. The food is served buffet style and, whilst there is not too much choice, it is tasty and well presented. There are free (alcoholic) drinks with the evening meal.

There are two sides to this hotel - the waterfront side and the road/railway side. Obviously, rooms on the road/waterfront side are going to be noisy. So, make sure you book the waterfront side which is sunny all day and looks out over the Oakland Bay and boat moorings. Its a great view.

There's plenty of parking round the front of the hotel, and we weren't aware of any security problems. The BART station is about 20 mins walk away but, if you don't feel happy about walking. there is a free shuttle which you have to request.

The staff here are brilliant - they are efficient and cheerful, and have a genuine desire to help when you need information or assistance.

We would highly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Make sure you book waterfront side!
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Oakland
Reviewed August 12, 2012

My husband and I stayed here for a month while our home was being remodeled. We couldn't have asked for a better situation. The staff was so friendly and accommodating, without fail. I highly recommend this hotel to anyone. Free full breakfast 7 days a week and free dinner Monday - Thursday. Bay view, super clean and remodeled rooms, pool, spa, right next to 880 for easy freeway access and just minutes from Jack London Square.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 11, 2012

We spent nine days. Found the staff friendly and courteous. Had a ground floor suite on the waterfront side a short distance from the pool. The waterfront was clean and well kept except for a few doggie doos on the lawn (pet owners not taking care of their duties very well). Really thought their included breakfasts and dinners (weeknights M-Th) a nice benefit. The room was pleasant, but the furniture is starting to show a little wear. The location is convenient to the highway (880) and did not notice any traffic noise from our room. No shuttle service to or from airport. However, there is shuttle service to the Ferry and BART. We found the ferry service convenient and a relaxing way to get to San Francisco. Security was pretty good through most of our stay, but on the last day we were at the pool and some (I think) non guests were taking advantage of the pool and made us uncomfortable.

Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
New York City
Reviewed August 3, 2012

I stayed here recently and was quite happy with the service. Check in was a breeze and the staff was very friendly. I had a studio suite which was quite spacious. It was nice having a full size refrigerator in the room. The complimentary breakfast and dinner each night were a nice touch. They also provide wine and beer to go along with your dinner. There is also a grill on the patio if you choose to cook your own food. While there the hotel got a new manager and it was a nice touch that he came around during dinner and introduced himself.

I only have one complaint and that involves the shuttle service. There are conflicting times on when the shuttle leaves. The shuttle driver was also not the friendliest person and quite often had an attitude. Also, when the shuttle isn't running the hotel will call a cab and they are supposed to pay for it. I left and came back when the shuttle wasn't running and I paid out of pocket both times. The shuttle service and having to pay for the cab out of pocket is what kept me from giving this Homewood Suites a 5.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Virginia
Reviewed July 27, 2012

I have stayed at this hotel at least ten times in the past two years. The past two stays have convinced me not to stay here again. In June, I reserved a one bedroom suite as I always do, the hotel clerk assigned me a studio. When I returned downstairs to tell her that was not the room that I reserved, her response was that is what I have for you. Fortunately, I had a copy of my reservation and showed her where I had reserved a one bedroom suite. She said sorry, we don't have any available so it became my problem.

In July, I decided to give he hotel another try. Due to a delayed flight, I canceled my hotel one night reservations at the airport with the hopes that I would be able to check into the Homeward suites earlier than the normal 3pm check in time. I have stayed in h
hilton hotels across the country and have always found them to be accommodating to early arrivals. When I called to see if I might check in earlier than 3pm, the clerk said emphatically that check in time was 3pm. I asked her if sh could have housekeeping get the room ready a little earlier, I think she was hell bent on making me wait till 3pm to check in. So after staying at the airport for 6 hours and flying for 6 hours, I sat in the Homeward suite lobby for 4 hours waiting for someone to clean a room so that I could check in. I think the clerk took great pride in making me wait til the normal check in.

I also smelled someone smoking an illegal substance while I was walking to my room

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family