“Great Stay...Right on the water!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Homewood Suites by Hilton Oakland-Waterfront
Ranked #7 of 49 Hotels in Oakland
GreenLeadersSilver level
Los Angeles, California
“Great Stay...Right on the water!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 20, 2011

I've always like to stay at this hotel when I'm in town for business. I brought some friends with me on my last visit and we had a great 3 bedroom suite on the water front with great views. We also decided to bbq one night and the hotel has 2 really nice and clean grills on the patio that we used. Overall a great stay and it couldn't possibly be any closer to the fwy entrance.

Room Tip: I think all the odd numbered rooms are facing the water front.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (193)
Ventura County
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 19, 2011

I stayed on business and had several requests during my stay. All were handled quickly, accurately, and with a smile. The staff (including housekeeping) is very friendly and helpful. I needed a larger room for a meeting I was giving and the only one available was on the freeway side. As long as the windows were closed, there was virtually no noise. The water side is preferable but I would not hesitate to stay on the freeway side if that is all that is available. The location is perfect, with short access to the Bay Bridge and the Oakland airport.
The hotel is very clean and the rooms are large and nicely appointed with all you need for a family getaway or business trip.
The marina is out the back door and makes for a very relaxing stroll or for just sitting and enjoying the view.

Room Tip: Try to get on marina side
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
Eureka, California, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 29, 2011

Great Hotel in general! Clean, efficiently run, and has big rooms.

I am writing the review because of the awesome customer service I received at the front desk from Cindy D. My reservation I made online was very messed up and I needed a different type of room and Cindy helped me get it even though the Hotel was full. She was kind and efficient and professional and understood that due to my Autistic son needing his own bedroom I needed the room I thought I had reserved. I have stayed at this Hotel 5 or 6 times and will again in the future!

Carlsbad, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 21, 2011

We stayed at this hotel with our relatives when in Oakland for a party. We had a two year old with us. The rooms were comfortable and clean. And the breakfast in the lobby was really good. Cindy at the front desk was awesome. I would recommend getting the waterview room. We did have quite a bit of noise from the freeway.

Room Tip: Pick a waterview room for a quiet night.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 19, 2011

Based on the hotel site, I expected this to be closer to Jack London Square. The hotel itself was OK, but the location was in what is otherwise an industrial area right beside the 880. This made me a bit uncomfortable about parking. I was put in a room that was pretty far from either exit in my wing, and getting in and out to the car was annoying. The breakfast was adequate, with a selection of so-so bread and pastry, two choices of juice, sausages, potatoes, eggs. I would have liked some sort of pancake or waffle option. The room was comfortable, if a bit spartan. The staff seemed very pleasant. If you are looking for quick on-off the highway, you're fine going south, but it's a bit of a drive to get back on going north. The view of the estuary didn't make up for the view out front.

Room Tip: Apparently there's a Starbucks "the next parking lot over." This came up when I wante...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Vacaville, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 14, 2011

There are positive and negatives about this hotel. But overall, our stay was very nice and I would recommend this hotel to others. I would also suggest a waterview room (quieter) in the main building. Unlike comments I read for the other Hilton owned Oakland properties, Homewood Oakland Waterfront rooms are quiet and the beds are quite comfortable.

The Positives: The hotel is clean and located immediately next to I-880 with easy on-ramp access to the Oakland Airport, downtown Oakland, Alameda, Coast Guard Island, and the Oakland A sport/convention center. The view from the waterview rooms is spectacular, and I would recommend a room in the main building where check-in is located ... and would also recommend the queen size suite overlooking the water as it also has a balcony. We did not use the pool area as it was closed during our visit, but it appeared nice. There is an outside seating area adjacent the pool which looks out at the water and marina. There is a paved walkway behind the hotel that allows for walks along the water. There is a Starbucks close by that is well within walking distance by as well as a Quizno's, and a Seafood Restaurant a short distance from the hotel. Coast Guard Island in immediaely across from the hotel. Breakfast is included with your stay ... but before you jump up and down, understand this is a glorified continental breakfast. The actual hot breakfast they boast of is along the lines of a put together, downgraded McDonald's type croissant sandwich. We stayed on a Sunday, but apparently they have a single choice dinner menu for guests as well ... one can only hope is it of much better quality than the hot breakfast. There is free coffee offered in the lobby ... and every room comes with free internet. Our room had one of the older style televisions and I don't know if any of the rooms come with a flat screen.

The Negatives: Reception first put us in the outer most building ... and as soon as my wife and I walked in, we virtually gagged by the overwhelming smell of cigarette smoke lingering in the hallway and elevator. Apparently smoking is only allowed on the first floor ... but hey, smoke rises and so does the smell that goes with it. We quickly retreated, returned to reception, and they changed our accomodations without hesitation. The other negatives is they allow pets in the rooms ... actually I should list that as a positive because I think the fact pets can travel with you is fantastic ... it was just there was an faint odor of pet in our room. Rooms on the I-880 side of the building face the freeway.

Room Tip: Definitely ask for a room with a water view. I would imagine the rooms facing I-880 are noisy.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank DennisAtkinson
Oregon City, Oregon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 10, 2011

I just needed a quick place to crash each night while visiting my kids over the weekend. The hotel was clean, location was safe, every staff member I met could not have been more friendly or helpful, and the hot breakfasts were very good. The property seems to be one of the properties that is popular with Oakland raider fans, as when I checked out Sunday AM the dining area was packed and were all there and had their 'game faces' on. Go Raiders!!!

The breakfast staff did an execellent job preparing the meal for the group.

Great Property, if the occasion for me to return to Oakland occurs again, I will plan on returning.

Room Tip: The location is a bit challenging to get at, and while they charge a few $$$ more for the harbor sid...
1 Thank 1952Bruce