“Free Valet Parking and Free Internet”

Courtyard Oakland Downtown
Ranked #15 of 49 Hotels in Oakland
Reviewed September 13, 2007

I stayed at the Courtyard Oakland Downtown for 3 days. The $139.00 rate I booked on the Marriott website included free internet access, free buffet breakfast for both of us each morning(great selection including made-to-order omlettes and waffles), and free valet parking. The room was the usual Courtyard room, but appeared to be relatively new.

The hotel is located 1 block from the Oakland Marriott City Center Hotel where parking is $28 and internet access is $10 per day.

Stayed: September 2007
3  Thank CollegeKids

Reviewed November 19, 2006

I stayed here in July 2005 when I needed to be in Oakland to take the three-day-long California Bar Exam at the Oakland Convention Center.
This Courtyard is very new and is great like all Courtyards. It has spacious rooms, comfortable beds and furniture, and clean bathrooms. The fitness center is very nice too.
Most people who take the bar exam traditionally stay at the Marriott because it is part of the same building as the Convention Center, but that is a bad idea because the Marriott's elevators tend to get very congested with bar exam takers going up and down its huge tower. The newly constructed Courtyard is small and short, so even if the elevator gets jammed one can always take the stairs. Plus it is newer so its rooms adhere to the latest insulation requirements and they are quite well soundproofed (one does not want to be disturbed by the sounds of other examtakers sobbing or screaming at midnight between the second and third days of the bar exam). And Chinatown and some really great Chinese food are only two blocks away.
The Courtyard only has a few disadvantages. First, it is expensive, though not as much as the Marriott. Second, it has wildly expensive valet parking. The best way around this is to have a friend drop you off either at the Marriott or at BART and then one can walk from the BART station three blocks away. If you're coming from out of town, skip the rental car and take a taxi or BART instead. Third, it is across the street and a block from the convention center. Testtakers have to carry their laptop and AC adapters in the open and cannot use bags (the State Bar is really scared of people sneaking stuff into the exam in bags). Walking a block with one's very expensive laptop and adapter in one's arms in downtown Oakland is like wearing a huge sign saying "I'M RICH, JUMP ME!" Fortunately no one was jumped as far as I know, but it's still a lot more stressful than just descending an elevator directly to the convention center (if one were staying at the Marriott).
Overall, I think I had a wonderful stay at the Courtyard and it was money well spent. Of course, I passed the bar exam! I definitely recommend the Courtyard to any recent law school graduates looking for a place to use as a base while taking the bar exam at Oakland.

• Stayed: July 2005, traveled on business
6  Thank coolcaesar
Reviewed October 24, 2006

My beau and I attend a business conference two weekends in October every year. We first discovered the Courtyard by Marriott by mistake ~ the first year we came down, we'd made reservations at the Marriott across the street. The next weekend, the Mariott was sold out so we ventured across the street to the Courtyard. I am so glad we did! Both hotels were wonderful, but the Courtyard offers impeccable staff and comfort. The room itself was a general, middle of the road hotel room, quite comfortable and just fine. They offer breakfast every morning down in the dining area off the lobby (you can pay in advance as part of your room fee or just pay as you go) with a complimentary newspaper. They also offer fruit in the lobby during the day and cookies in the evening ~ who can resist a cookie before heading up to bed! Also of note for superb service are the valets ~ there is a tall valet there who has been there since we've been staying at the Courtyard ~ two or three years? ~ and he's always friendly and helpful. The Courtyard is directly across the street from the Marriott and the Oakland convention center, and is in Oakland's Chinatown. It is a blast to walk through Chinatown and tour the shops! It is also right next to Old Oakland, where restaurants abound, and one block away from a Starbucks that opens early. The waterfront, ferry and Jack London Square are just a few blocks away ~ in a phrase, very centrally located! I would highly recommend the Courtyard for your next stay in Oakland.

• Stayed: October 2006, traveled on business
5  Thank thetripchick
Reviewed October 5, 2006

I selected this location because it was one block from my business event. Let me first say that the staff was friendly, rooms clean and breakfast fresh (there is also a breakfast chef to make your omelets and waffles). I was a short walk from the pier, which I found desirable. However, the room was pricey ($189./night plus tax) or maybe I'm just stingy.

At any rate, my main problem was the downtown area. You don't get a general feeling of safety when walking early in the AM and late at night. There was too much homelessness and poverty for my comfort. Lots of 'strangers' standing outside the hotel.

Another thing I'm having probems with, regarding hotels in general--the price and quality of the business services (internet particularly). I don't travel with a laptop for a variety of reasons; so I depend on the hotel. It seems that the more high end and therefore higher priced hotels have business services that are less accessible, slower speed (internet) and more expensive than their lower end hotel counterparts. So since most of my travels are business related; I stay in the high end hotels and walk across the street or around the corner and use the business center at the budget motels.

• Stayed: September 2006, traveled on business
2  Thank slowee08
Reviewed September 13, 2006

We stayed at the Oakland Courtyard in July because we wanted to both shop and eat at Oakland's Chinatown. The hotel is right there in Oakland's Chinatown and just a block or two away from the Marriott Hotel in downtown Oakland. Our room was simple and clean. The bed was alright. The room was standard "Marriott" size. The staff at the front desk and valet parking attendants were courteous. It was a Saturday night, and everything pretty much closes by 7:00 p.m. in Chinatown compared to San Francisco's Chinatown. I would say the food was average and the dim sum was average too. Suprised to say that San Francisco has better food and dimsum. I noticed an entire wedding party was staying the night. Many wedding receptions at the local Chinese restaurants. If you want to have doorstep access to Oakland's Chinatown, this is a great location but If I return to Oakland again, I probably stay at the Oakland Marriott nearby. It's a nicer place to stay.

• Stayed: July 2006
7  Thank SeminarTrekker
Reviewed August 29, 2006

This is a simple hotel but totally satisfactory. The room was spacious and clean, the bed was comfortable (and had multiple pillows of various fillings), the staff was pleasant. It is located in Oakland's Chinatown.

Stayed: July 2006
3  Thank Marron
Reviewed August 17, 2006

I booked a stay at the Courtyard for myself and my daughter because of it's convenience to the BART. She needed the BART to get to SF while I worked in Berkeley. The BART is about 3 blocks up (hotel on b'way and 9th, bart on b'way and 12th). The area is ok during the day time-working hours but at night it gets pretty seedy. Bums hanging around the street asking for money, often saying inappropriate comments to you as you walk by them. Nothing is open past 8:00 pm. There's a grocery store across the street from the hotel and a Walgreens 4 blocks up, but it's only open during the day (understandably).
Jack London Square is in the opposite direction of the BART but a walking distance (2nd and Broadway). Nothing too impressive there either. A few restaurants are open but the area looks a little run down. There's a ferry to SF but it leaves pretty early during week days so we never got to use it.
The hotel brochure says they have a 'heated' pool. They have a small pool that's freezing cold. The spa/hot tub was closed while we were here. The hotel also has a small store that was never open. Vending machines charge 2.00 for softdrinks and w/no stores open in the area you have no choice but to buy them at the vending machines. The hotel also offers valet parking only-no options for self parking. I always got my car very quickly and the hotel staff was nice and accomodating.
The rooms were very clean, the beds comfortable, shower good-no complaints w/the quality of the rooms. The street's a little noisy and the room walls are thin, but this isn't anything unusual to hotel stays from my experience.
I probably won't stay here again-will most likely stay in the Emeryville area-there are several hotel options there. Stay here if you want access to the BART and don't walk outside after dark and you'll be fine.

4  Thank Sheilamarie