“Good hotel in a bad location”

Rodeway Inn & Suites Near the Coliseum & Arena
Ranked #26 of 49 Hotels in Oakland
Redding, California
“Good hotel in a bad location”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2013

The hotel was fine; comfortable bed, friendly staff, clean room. The only downside to the property itself is that there was little to insulate the sound of the nearby freeway so I could hear trucks going by all night.

The location on the other hand was horrid. Its right in the middle of an industrial area near the airport so there people wearing gang colours and hookers all over the place.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank erickiltz

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Fresno,Ca
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 20, 2013

First when I arrived in the vicinity of this hotel, I wasn't too impressed with its surroundings. Since I already had reservation, I had no choice but to check in. Friendly manager gave me a room, and I couldn't believe what I got for my money. Room was lot better than I thought. My room was clean, equipped with TV, Microwave, Iron and ironing board, comfortable bed. I had no problem at all in staying at this hotel for 5 nights.In future I will definitely come back here.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank sidnamshe1
Murrieta, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 25, 2012

Upon arrival, the handles going into check in were sticky with dirt. The dirt was so thick that it was caked on. Clearly they had not been cleaned in a while. The location is close to the Coliseum, so when we booked through Hotelplanner.com we thought it would be ideal. When you book your room the way we did, you pay the booker directly. When we checked into our room, the carpet was very worn out and dirty. Our feet were black on the bottom within hours of check in. The room has very nice crown molding and base boards, however, they were filthy with dust. Across from our room sat a broken washing machine for 3 days that we were there. We would have checked out the day we arrived, however we had already paid Hotelplanner and did not have extra cash to switch hotels. We did check out a day early because it was so bad, and after complaining to the front desk, they said that we still had to pay for the last night because of the way we booked. No apology, no "let us make it right"...Nothing!

Room Tip: Stay anywhere else!!!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank TheFrameFamily
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 21, 2012 via mobile

From the time I arrived until checkout the staff and management were both friendly and helpful. The hotel's location makes easy access to Oakland, alameda and downtown San Francisco. The rooms are clean and quiet with excellent facilities including refrigerator, microwave, coffee maker and even iron and ironing board.

Would be more than happy to stay here next time I'm in the area. Thanks to all.

Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Perth, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 20, 2012

I have no complaints about this budget hotel. Very clean rooms, decent breakfast, and close to shops and restaurants. The staff here are very helpful and the grounds are neat and tidy. Also, pet friendly :) My partner, mother and father in law and my son stayed here for 4 days and three nights - very comfortable beds and full cable and WIFI. Excellent value for money !

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
kansas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 25, 2012

We stayed here for the Raider/Steeler game. We tried to checkin early ( 9-10 a.m.)having come from San Fran with bags in tow and wanting to get to the game to tailgate. There were no rooms available yet but the owners were very acomodating ( THANKS). The Hotel itself is well kept and the room was nicely decorated with a fridge and microwave. Lots of plug ins on each side of the bed to charge todays electrinic devices. They also offer a comp. breakfast ( simple but enough)
We took a cab from the bart station to the hotel. We did however walk to the Coliseum. It is a straight shot up Coliseum Way to it. The area is a little dirty with some bad smells but was lined with food vendors . It seemed safe enough in the day but we didn't walk it at night. We also walked to the bart station to catch the airbart to fly out. ( to the Coliseum up the ramp and across the walkway and down the stairs.)
The only negatives were our room was right by the only ice and soda machine ( a bit loud) and the really are no close food sources except the food vendors that were out ( got the papusas :)) but the husband is picky so when we went to order food of the non pizza type it was VERY expensive,
Having traveled abroad this was fine for us and we would stay again for a game but some people may have problems with the lacation.

Room Tip: unless you can deal with noise ask for a room away from the ice machine.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank oneloveforever
Riverside, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 16, 2012

first off i booked the room 3 months ahead and it stated it included a fridge a flat screen and a microwave and smoke free. well all was true except the flat screen and when i asked they told me only the suites had it. when my itenerary stated it. i know they arent guarenteed but i didnt book a suite so why would it even mention it. they first gave me a smoking room and it was unbearable i had to ask for a switch. they were prompt in doing so but the next room i got had a real nasty smell. at this point i jus had to deal because we had to get ready for the game. they say they offer breakfast i left too early to try it.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple