“Pet-Friendly Bargain in Oakland”

Rodeway Inn & Suites Near the Coliseum & Arena
Ranked #29 of 49 Hotels in Oakland
Reviewed August 6, 2012

We chose this motel because of its location since we were visiting relatives in surrounding areas, but also because of our ever-present concern, pet-friendliness. Our room ran 89.00 per night including taxes, with a one-time pet fee of 15.00. Negative: Breakfast is below average and some staff not particularly hospitable. For example, I asked for a late checkout at the desk, but the cleaning person hounded me, knocking on the door and standing outside for a half hour. Also, we didn't want full room service but asked for fresh towels, and they counted out the ones we gave over in exchange. Having said that, obviously someone knows how to tend the lovely rosebushes, and there's a grassy sitting area (complete with doggy bag dispenser) with a fountain.

Room Tip: Ask for one of the rooms that has been recently remodeled.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Rodeway Inn & Suites Near the Coliseum & Arena

Reviewed July 28, 2012

Although the area is a bit creepy, the actual motel and grounds are well above average with excellent lighting. It is convenient and available at a competitive price. I've stayed in this motel several times.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank shtshtsht
Reviewed July 20, 2012

This location is extremely poor -- don't plan on walking anywhere. We walked to the BART station, and saw multiple car windows smashed on the streets.

The room was average, the bed was only a double, even though it was advertised as a queen.

The manager/owner was extremely poor as well. He stood at the dining area watching you like a hawk during breakfast hour. I went to get 2 bottles of juice to bring back to the room, however he was adamant that I was only allowed one, even though I explained there were two of us. If you are looking for service with a smile, expect none here.

Not recommended.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Christian L
Reviewed May 3, 2012

I used to live in SF and know the area well. A recent trip to SF ended with an early morning flight out of Oakland so I decided to avoid the morning rush hour and save a few bucks by staying near the airport in Oakland.

What a surprise this place was. The general area surrounding the motel is an older, mixed use industrial park. Not a necessarily nice place to stay. But the motel itself has been recently renovated and is clean, safe and has a large, well lit parking area. Further, it is only one exit from the Oakland Airport!

While I could easily recommend the motel for a family on a budget as it is only a few blocks from a freeway entrance (and hence all of the area, SF and Oakland are within a 40 minute drive), the strength of this oasis is for folks doing as I did, preparing for an early flight out of Oakland. It's a step above a Motel 6 (my usual standard of measure) at a competitive price. Just be sure to have dinner before you arrive as there are no eateries in the area.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank MikeE73
Reviewed April 3, 2012

Don't let the location fool you. This property has undergone a complete renovation. Every thing in the rooms is new, rooms are clean, beds are very comfortable. Only complaint, they have the ceiling lights on motion sensors, so unless you continually wave something in front of the switch, they go out immediately.
Speaking of the location. It is in an industrial area just north of the Oakland Coloseum, and not a really great neighborhood. Also, at the present time, High St.and Coloseum Blvd intersection is closed to southbound traffic, so you have to go about 3 blocks east, turn right and go about 5 blocks to the first signal, turn right again back to Coloseum, then right again to the Motel.
I read a previous review concerning the carpet. Our carpet was fairly new and quite clean. Overall, we were very pleased with our stay.

Room Tip: Just be aware of the detour and the location. This is a good economical place to stay close to the...
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Sandiaman
Reviewed February 14, 2012

I do not know where to start to share the ugliness of this motel. I read the reviews on this site before I booked my weekend stay and had good hopes for this hotel.

As we walked in the door the first thing we noticed how dirty the carpet was. It was so dirty in fact that my woman refused to take her shoes to walk on it. The duvet cover on the bed had white stains on it and was quickly tossed aside after finding both sides were stained. They don’t use fitted sheets on the bed so we kept awaking to a hard, thick cover they put on the mattress. There was a bench in the room that was just as dirty as the floor.

At the sink there was a coffee maker that was dusty all over and we found an old washcloth hanging from the shower curtain. If you are looking for a job in maid service I can tell you that this motel needs the help. Over the sink is a mirror, I don’t know how old it is but it still has the manufacturers sticker on it, partially torn off.

All of my concerns were brought up to the front desk and they told us they would do a good job cleaning the room. Unfortunately that was a lie (or they never told that to the maid) because we found all those same discrepancies when we returned later in the day.

Other items of interest that may concern you, the smoke detector was wrapped in plastic and the lap shades were crushed in at the sides…

Room Tip: Avoid this motel at all costs
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Jarrod V
Reviewed January 4, 2012

I stayed here and at baybreeze next door and this room was excellent true to their pictures I would repeat its very discreet but its like between a freeway and industrial park I give the room 5 stars for the PRICE you pay and I just had a standard room.... DON'T GO NEXT DOOR SAME PRICE N HORRIBLE

• Stayed: January 2012