“Good, but doesn't quite live up to the hype” 4 of 5 bubbles

Souley Vegan
Ranked #165 of 1,249 Restaurants in Oakland
Cuisines: American
Good for: Families with children, Dining on a budget
Description: amazing Vegan food for those who miss meat!! Souly vegan is an amazing restaurant with an amazing story! You MUST go to there web sight & check them out. Great collard greens, amazing no meat chicken & free oranges wail you wait. I am a vegetarian who used to love a good meaty sandwich & this place makes me forget all about my old habits. The first time I eat the chicken sandwich I knew going vegetarian wasn’t going to be as hard as I thought, as long as souly vegan is open!!!
Oakland, California
“Good, but doesn't quite live up to the hype”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 30, 2014

I had very big expectations for Souley Vegan, but the food didn't quite live up to them. I had heard this place was pretty much the bomb for vegetarians, and several people recommended it, which is why my expectations were so high.

My wife and I were pretty excited for our food, after checking out the menu. We ordered A LOT: homemade chips, Okra Gumbo, Spaghetti, and sides of mac and cheese and corn bread. We couldn't finish it all in one setting! The chips were AWESOME and well worth it. Mac and cheese and cornbread were also pretty tasty, but the entrees left a little something to be desired. My wife is a huge okra fan, and she said her dish was just OK. As for my spaghetti, I guess there's not a whole lot you can do with that other than the sauce.

Again, the food is pretty good, and we've been back since, but it's just not the greatest meal I've ever had. After two visits here, my wife and I don't really plan on coming back for awhile.

• Visited December 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

“A really bad start to 2014”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 1, 2014

Oh Souly Vegan.... How you have disappointed me on this New Years Day. I just wanted some vegan soul food and black eyed peas to start the New Year. I was careful to check the Groupon for black out dates. Nope, New Years Day was NOT listed as a black out date. When we arrived, we were told that there was only a $30 per person brunch being served. Well.. OK. I'm really hungry. I order and give my Groupon only to be told that it wasn't being accepted today. WHAT?? It clearly does not state that on the Groupon. I asked to speak with the manager but was told that the manager was 'too busy" to speak to us. At this point, I was starved and wanted to order a meal for myself as my friend was too upset and angry to eat. I was told that we BOTH had to order a $30 meal. Again, WHAT? I finally was able to order my meal and when I was half way through, the cashier came over and said that they had called the owner. The owner said that we could use our Groupon to purchase another meal. Are you kidding?? First of all, it was the poor little cashier that told us this - not the manager. Secondly, the food was not worth $30. Everything was being kept warm by one little flame so that the food was luke warm at best. I really like a HOT meal... Also, the waffles were soggy, cold and limp. Overall the food experience was severely lacking. Actually a waste of $30.
We have been to Souly Vegan many times and have complimented the owner on her food. We did not expect to have our first meal of 2014 be such a negative experience. Also, perhaps the Manager needs to be reminded that most businesses go by the motto "the customer is always right'. Also, good managers don't send the cashier to do their job.
Will we be back again? Nooo.

• Visited January 2014
2 Thank RuthAnn Y
Portland, Oregon
“Yes, yes, yes!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 10, 2013

I was overwhelmed with the delicious choices offered on the menu. As I struggled with indecision, I was offered samples of various dishes to help me narrow down my choices. I ended up getting the chicken fried tofu on grits with gumbo (all vegan, obviously) and was THRILLED with my decision. I also got a biscuit with gravy to take home for breakfast the following day, which was exceptional.
Finally, I got a chocolate cupcake (vegan-cream-filled) that was divine.

If I lived there, I would be at the restaurant multiple times per week. Delicious, and staffed by warm and friendly folks.

• Visited November 2013
Rancho Cucamonga
“This place is so good!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 9, 2013 via mobile

Let me begin this post by telling you that I am not even a vegan. I was in Oakland attending a conference and I stayed at a hotel across the street from Souley. The place was amazing. My colleague and I ate there two nights in a row. The staff were friendly and helpful. The food was great. We had the combo sampler platter the first night. It was delicious, I enjoyed everything on the plate. The second night I had a burger with fried tofu and BBQ tofu. The burger came with two sides for $2. I got the yams and lentils. My colleague got fried okra and buffalo seitan wings. Everything was so yummy. The water was even delicious. They have two to choose from- cucumber water or lemon water. The only thing I didn't love was the cupcakes, but everything else was perfect so they still get five stars from me. I am sad to be going home because I know that I can't eat there again. If you are in the city don't miss this place.

• Visited November 2013
Los Angeles, California
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Vegan Soul Food Bliss”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 6, 2013

Such a fun location. Fun, hip location. Really cool people and the food is amazing. I HIGHLY recommend Souley!

Visited August 2013