“Sincerely good food and service”
Review of Bellanico

Bellanico
Reserve with OpenTable
Bellanico is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #23 of 1,261 Restaurants in Oakland
Cuisines: Italian, Wine Bar
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Delivery, Free Off-Street Parking, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Wellington
Transit: AC Transit #18
San Francisco, California
“Sincerely good food and service”
Reviewed June 17, 2014

One of the best Italian restaurants in the east bay! I can't go here without ordering the MALFATTI. They always make you comfortable and at home here. Wine selection is good and affordable.

Visited February 2014
1 Thank Cazsh

Oakland, California
“As good as Chez Panisse!”
Reviewed June 10, 2014

Recently we saw the Check Please Bay Area segment on Bellanico and it made my mouth water! We brought some friends from Seattle here on a Wednesday evening and had a very memorable time. I'm pleased to report that Bellanico is even better today than I remember from 5 years ago. We all ordered from the sample menu: excellent choices priced reasonably. Highlights included cauliflower fritters (order plenty to share); casunzei (pasta) filled with roasted beet and ricotta (scrumptious); and bomboloni (delicate; delicious).

Later in the week we went to Chez Panisse for the first time, and, of course, that was wonderful. But I thought Bellanico was just as good, much more reasonably priced, and right down the street in the Glenview District.

I promise I won't wait another 5 years to return!

• Visited April 2014
1 Thank OakJohn94602
Richmond, California
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“The real deal”
Reviewed June 8, 2014

This Oakland partner of San Francisco's Aperto is one of my favorites. It's small, as in intimate, with a tiny kitchen, a bar and maybe tables for thirty patrons. The food is all about Italy and great ingredients. They offer a four course wine pairing (All Italian) menu that is a bargain at $34.00. The chard Mallfacci, dumplings in a brown butter sauce, the seared pork belly, marrow bone red wine balsamico, are to not be missed. It's family here. The restaurant is named for the owners children. They're busy even on weeknights. Make a reservation. I love tghis place.

• Visited June 2014
1 Thank william s
Orinda, California
“Food is wonderful - Room and service needs help”
Reviewed June 1, 2014

We have eaten here many times and the $34 menu is a particularly really good deal. With the 2 of us, we shared more than8 items. The food is always very good to wonderful. Our problem continues to be around service and environment. They always over-book making a wait inevitable, the tables in the back are dark and stuffy. It seems couples are always placed back there (by the rest rooms too I might add!).

Everyone tries really hard and they are charming - yet un-managed. Example - We had a particularly long wait for our mains (30mins+), and drank the included entree wine (another great deal at $15 additional)!) requiring another when we were finally served. Given our long wait, I would not have charged us for that wine - they did (maitre'd was busy and didn't notice I am sure).

Anyways...we'll go back for the food.

• Visited May 2014
Oakland, California
“Great neighborhood California bistro”
Reviewed May 28, 2014 via mobile

A local neighborhood California style restaurant where the prices are reasonable but still use all the freshest California ingredients. There is always a 4 course set price dinner for around. $30.
I love their cauliflower fritters and their pasta and grain dishes

• Visited May 2014