“Excellent Italian Food” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Bellanico

Bellanico
Reserve with OpenTable
Bellanico is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #26 of 1,250 Restaurants in Oakland
Transit: AC Transit #18
Oakland, California
“Excellent Italian Food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2013

Lots of interesting and delicious choices. I had cauliflower fritters and duck breast. My wife had yellowtail. For $32 yiu can choose from the tasting menu which consists of four courses. The service was excellent. You can also sit at the wine bar.

• Visited August 2013

Chicago, Illinois
“There Is A Here Here”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 24, 2013

Pleasing small very gourmet Italian restaurant with good service and surprisingly creative menu choices. We definitely plan to return. Parking can be dicey. Why go to San Francisco when you can be charmed here.

• Visited July 2013
1 Thank MarshBruce
Oakland, California, United States
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Absolutely delightful”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 24, 2013

I've eaten there twice. Once for Mother's Day brunch, and once for dinner. I loved every bite of each meal. I'm not a food critic, but I lived in Italy for a year and a half and am constantly disappointed by restaurants in the U.S. that supposedly serve great Italian food. Bellanico serves it's own creations, Italian style or with an Italian flavor/flair - and I've not had better in the U.S. The food is amazing, every bite. And the service is excellent as well. As an aside, my hubby and I watch our pennies, so this was a bit more expensive than our usual fare. But it will always be our special occasion place from now on.

• Visited September 2012
1 Thank Karen N
AZ
“Good with the potential to be great”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 7, 2013 via mobile

We heard about this place and decided to try it. I certainly wasn't disappointed. There are some great moments (the duck breast, the burrata) and disappointments. The focaccia is too pale and bland for my taste, although better when toasted. It needs some herbs and another five minutes in the oven. Their appetizer plate serves up unexpected highs (the cauliflower puffs), expected highs (the pâté), expected lows (fried meatballs?) and unexpected lows (arancini where the rice was so underdone it tasted like nuts.) I loved the handmade pasta and sauce but thought the desserts were uninspired. They're 90% great and 10% meh. And finally, I wish all restaurants would stop stacking plates at the table when clearing. It's not just annoying—you risk spattering your patrons with leftovers.

• Visited June 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank BuffCrone
Oakland, California, United States
“Believe the hype”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 24, 2013

When a place gets as much attention as Bellanico, it is easy to be skeptical about its prospects. For me, it takes a lot for a place to be worth laying down as much for one meal as I would spend on 3-4 meals as my favorite Lao place near Lake Merritt. But the quality of the food, the service, and the atmosphere really make this a dining experience to remember. Every once in a while I think you deserve a treat, and this place is exactly that.

If you have deeper pockets than I do, then go ahead and make a visit here a weekly or monthly affair.

• Visited June 2012