“not what the pictures look like”

Clarion Hotel-Downtown Oakland
Ranked #27 of 49 Hotels in Oakland
Reviewed November 12, 2013

Although it was just a place to lay our head because we didnt want to make the road trip to LA the same day of a lot of festivities I still wanted the hotel to look like the picture. For the price I wanted it to be a lot bigger. I have paid that price before and got luxury or at least half luxury. Parking was $15 dollars most hotels where you pay over $100 in my experience have had free parking. the gym was not a gym at all it was a small room with tredmeal and bike. So I would not go there again unless i just couldnt find anywhere else or they had a discount deal.

It was clean at least so that was good. The staff was friendly and the location was close to downtown where my bday dinner party was.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
ayalnesh C, Manager at Clarion Hotel-Downtown Oakland, responded to this reviewResponded November 14, 2013

Hi Niketa,

While I'm glad you found your room clean and experienced friendly service, I'm sorry you thought your room wasn't as luxurious as you hoped. Do you have any suggestions for us to improve? I appreciate your feedback and hope to hear back from you soon.

Reviewed October 26, 2013 via mobile

For the price you can't argue with tha standard and the location. Room a little small hut ok. Secure parking for a charge next to the hotel.

Tribin bar actually has a cask ale (if you don't know what that means google it, essentially its real beer which is rare in the USA).

Walking distance to metro. Immediate surroundings fine but donct str

Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank whittn
ayalnesh C, Manager at Clarion Hotel-Downtown Oakland, responded to this reviewResponded October 29, 2013

I'm glad to hear you enjoyed your stay and appreciated our affordable rates. It's our goal to offer our guests both value and convenience. If you have any suggestions for us to improve, please let me know.

Reviewed October 19, 2013

We stayed at this hotel for 2 nights in early October. The hotel location is great as it is in downtown Oakland and very close to the BART subway system, which makes it easy to get to San Francisco. When we first entered the hotel, our first thought was that it did not look as good as shown on their website. The carpets in the hallway and in room were stained and the property in general gave a feeling of neglect. The room also felt a bit dingy. Customer service was good; when our key card didn't work, the receptionist helped us right away to get it solved. Also, there was no complimentary breakfast.

My recommendation is that if you don't have a car and you want to stay within close commuting distance to downtown San Fran, then this hotel is probably a good choice for a budget stay (~$90/night). It's not the cleanest but doable for a couple nights stay.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
ayalnesh C, Manager at Clarion Hotel-Downtown Oakland, responded to this reviewResponded October 21, 2013

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. While we're glad you appreciated our central and convenient location, I'm sorry to hear you think our property appears neglected. That's the last impression we want our guests to have. Though our building is old, our entire interior was renovated only a few years ago. If you have any suggestions for us to improve, please don't hesitate to contact me.

Reviewed September 26, 2013

clean, comfy hotel , great staff, 2 min walk to BART station for quick/easy travel to SF good value for money compared to what SF hotels were charging!!! No breakfast included but we found a nice diner round the corner!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
ayalnesh C, Manager at Clarion Hotel-Downtown Oakland, responded to this reviewResponded October 2, 2013

Thanks for recommending us! I'm glad to hear you enjoyed a pleasant stay with us. The next time you need a hotel in the Bay Area, be sure to keep us in mind!

Take care,

Reviewed September 3, 2013

Chose the Clarion because I was attending a meeting at the Oakland Marriott, which was sold out. The hotel was conveniently located just 3 blocks away. Room was tiny...the bed took up the entire room. Room had no desk or drawers. Just a small closet and a huge bathroom. I think the bathroom was larger than the bedroom. There were two nightstands on each side of the bed, which were used for storage...the ice bucket was housed underneath one night stand, and the coffee maker under the other. TV hung on the wall. The room was clean. Room had a small window with a view of a wall. Parking is in an outdoor lot next door. $15 charge which is not bad considering across the bay parking runs $60 at hotels. Overall the hotel was OK for a night. Wouldn't want to stay in such cramped quarters beyond that. Staff wasn't overly enthusiastic...just ho hum. Air conditioning was a window unit, which made it somewhat difficult to control the room temperature. Great restaurant one block away called the Tribune Tavern. That I recommend.

Room Tip: Ask for a larger room and a street view.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
ayalnesh C, Manager at Clarion Hotel-Downtown Oakland, responded to this reviewResponded September 10, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to review us. I'm sorry to hear your stay with us was just okay. We definitely try to do better than that! Besides the size of our rooms, what can we do to improve? I appreciate your feedback and hope to hear back from you soon.

Reviewed September 3, 2013

I stayed here for 8 nights to attend a convention at the Moscone Center and take a couple of extra days worth of vacation. My room was okay. A good value for my money, compared with the rates in San Francisco. The only problems I had there were minor. The remote control for the TV stopped working. Replacing the batteries with a spare set I carry didn't fix it; if they had, I would have requested new batteries from the front desk. I don't watch much TV so I didn't report the problem to the front desk until I checked out. The in-room wifi was free and a nice convenience for me to check in on the servers I manage back on the east coast, but it was very slow for uploading photos to Facebook. The carpet in the room was a bit grungy, but the room was otherwise, clean and daily maid service was fine too. The close access to BART made it easy for me to get into and out of San Fran every day, although I would not recommend walking around downtown Oakland alone at night, but my room was reasonably quiet at night and I did not hear any street noise. There are also a few good restaurants near the hotel and a food area by the City Center BART station, as well as a 24-hour convenience store right around the corner.

Room Tip: Avoid walking around the area late at night, but there are some excellent restaurants in the area.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for choosing to stay with us during your trip to San Francisco. I'm glad to know you thought your room was a good value. We strive to offer our guests clean and comfortable rooms at an affordable price. I hope you keep us in mind the next time you visit the Bay Area!

All the best,

Reviewed August 30, 2013

I was forced to stay here by my company. So I read the reviews and was concerned. Most did not exaggerate. If you are forced by someone to stay here or need a cheap room, then stay here, but if not find someplace else. The place is cheap but it shows throughout the hotel why.

Check-in was ok, got to my room after 12 hours of flying and wanted to puke. Old carpet, scratches and marks all over the white walls, and a hard bed, but the bathroom was renovated. Oh yeah and the AC didn't work, so front desk clerk tries to help me and she cant figure it out. Its 6pm and they have no maintenance person. She tries to move me from queen bed to room with twin beds, but the air finally came on after I fiddled with wires(I used to work in HVAC industry).

Bed sucked, TV didn't have sound on some channels, and room was super small. I felt like I was in a dorm room in college or in a boarding house seen in the Blues Brothers. The Elevator was terrible, and the staff was not very knowledgeable.

Told my boss never to book us there again. I only gave it 2 stars instead of 1 because the AC blew cold, and the shower was hot.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business

Brad,

I'm truly sorry to hear you didn't enjoy your stay with us. We renovated our interior about 4 years ago, so I'm surprised your room appeared so disheveled. We'll be sure to use your feedback to make sure our rooms are more hospitable going forward.