“Okay accommodations for the money”

Clarion Hotel-Downtown Oakland
Ranked #28 of 49 Hotels in Oakland
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Okay accommodations for the money”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2013

I stayed here for 8 nights to attend a convention at the Moscone Center and take a couple of extra days worth of vacation. My room was okay. A good value for my money, compared with the rates in San Francisco. The only problems I had there were minor. The remote control for the TV stopped working. Replacing the batteries with a spare set I carry didn't fix it; if they had, I would have requested new batteries from the front desk. I don't watch much TV so I didn't report the problem to the front desk until I checked out. The in-room wifi was free and a nice convenience for me to check in on the servers I manage back on the east coast, but it was very slow for uploading photos to Facebook. The carpet in the room was a bit grungy, but the room was otherwise, clean and daily maid service was fine too. The close access to BART made it easy for me to get into and out of San Fran every day, although I would not recommend walking around downtown Oakland alone at night, but my room was reasonably quiet at night and I did not hear any street noise. There are also a few good restaurants near the hotel and a food area by the City Center BART station, as well as a 24-hour convenience store right around the corner.

Room Tip: Avoid walking around the area late at night, but there are some excellent restaurants in the area.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
ayalnesh C, Manager at Clarion Hotel-Downtown Oakland, responded to this review, October 2, 2013
Thank you for choosing to stay with us during your trip to San Francisco. I'm glad to know you thought your room was a good value. We strive to offer our guests clean and comfortable rooms at an affordable price. I hope you keep us in mind the next time you visit the Bay Area!

All the best,
Ayu, General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Orlando, Florida
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2013

I was forced to stay here by my company. So I read the reviews and was concerned. Most did not exaggerate. If you are forced by someone to stay here or need a cheap room, then stay here, but if not find someplace else. The place is cheap but it shows throughout the hotel why.

Check-in was ok, got to my room after 12 hours of flying and wanted to puke. Old carpet, scratches and marks all over the white walls, and a hard bed, but the bathroom was renovated. Oh yeah and the AC didn't work, so front desk clerk tries to help me and she cant figure it out. Its 6pm and they have no maintenance person. She tries to move me from queen bed to room with twin beds, but the air finally came on after I fiddled with wires(I used to work in HVAC industry).

Bed sucked, TV didn't have sound on some channels, and room was super small. I felt like I was in a dorm room in college or in a boarding house seen in the Blues Brothers. The Elevator was terrible, and the staff was not very knowledgeable.

Told my boss never to book us there again. I only gave it 2 stars instead of 1 because the AC blew cold, and the shower was hot.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Brad,

I'm truly sorry to hear you didn't enjoy your stay with us. We renovated our interior about 4 years ago, so I'm surprised your room appeared so disheveled. We'll be sure to use your feedback to make sure our rooms are more hospitable going forward.

Ayu, General Manager

Travelers are raving about these Oakland hotels

San Clemente, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2013

Nice helpful people but you are not getting much for your money, or maybe you are only getting what you pay for. The bed is 95% of the room, good thing it's a flat panel TV because I don't know where any other type would go.

May as well close the shutters, the view is of a wall 6 feet from you and another room's window. Think New York type room and be prepared. I that's acceptable you'll be OK here.

Room Tip: Not sure there is a better room than any other.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
ayalnesh C, Manager at Clarion Hotel-Downtown Oakland, responded to this review, July 18, 2013
I'm sorry to hear you just had an acceptable experience with us. We definitely try to do better than that! Although our interior was recently renovated, our historic building was erected several decades ago. Hotels built back then had smaller rooms, and we do our best to make them feel as spacious and comfortable as possible. If you have any suggestions for us to improve, please let me know.

San Diego, California, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2013

I stayed at this for an event at Jack London Square. Hotel was a fair price for a decent room. Room small but efficient. Elevator small, but okay. I stayed on 3rd floor so I used the stairs. Two (non related?) on site restaurants, reasonably priced. LOCATION...: It was about 25 minute walk to Jack London Square. During the week there is a free bus a couple of blocks away. There was a city bus also 2 blocks away. The subway (Bart) was a few minute walk to get you to San Fran or other distant destinations. Yuppie bar scene was a block away at the Oakland Tribune Tavern, which always was a happening place when I passed by.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
ayalnesh C, Manager at Clarion Hotel-Downtown Oakland, responded to this review, June 20, 2013
Hi Gary,

Thank you for recommending us on TripAdvisor. I'm glad to know you found your room convenient, comfortable and enjoyable. That's the goal! Hope to see you again the next time you visit the Bay Area!

Take care,
Sacramento, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 17, 2013

The hotel appears to be an extensively refurbished older property. The staff was friendly, the room was clean and large enough. One nice touch was that every lamp in the room had a standard socket to plug in a laptop, phone charger or some other device. Too many hotels these days are sorely short on electrical outlets for the modern wired traveler. The bed was comfortable, it was quiet and I slept well. No breakfast, only coffee. The neigborhood is not the best. Two quirks: The furniture obviously had a place for a refrigerator, but the room did not have one. There was a sign in the room saying it was a smoke free hotel and had designated outside smoking areas. That was out in front of the hotel.

At $80.00 per night it was not a bad deal at all, considering another national chain hotel two blocks away was charging $205.00.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Dan834
ayalnesh C, Manager at Clarion Hotel-Downtown Oakland, responded to this review, June 3, 2013
Hi Dan,

Thank you for taking the time to review us. I'm glad to know you found your room clean, comfortable and affordable. That's the goal! Considering you had an enjoyable stay, I'm confused as to why you only rated us 3 stars. What can we do to improve? I appreciate your feedback and hope to hear back from you soon.

Seattle, WA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 2, 2013

Had a good stay during a business trip. Everything reasonable in SF was booked; this hotel is only one block from BART so a short ride into SF financial district. Staff was friendly, room on the smaller side but clean, no evening noise, good wi-fi. Did not venture beyond the one block stretch between hotel and BART: several restaurants/bar/coffee shop. The kebab/Indian restaurant adjacent to hotel was very reasonable and good quality.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank itchy242
Thanks for recommending us! I'm glad to know you found our hotel comfortable and convenient to the Financial District. I hope you stay with us the next time you visit San Francisco!

Take care,
Saint Paul, Minnesota
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 20, 2013

Whether it is for business or personal, this hotel does not offer much. Hotel was recently remodeled and staff is friendly. No swimming pool. The fitness room - Be careful! Treadmill can change settings at any given time. Refrigerator and microwave were clean. It is a decent place to stay in downtown Oakland, CA. No matter where you go in downtown Oakland, you will see homelessness and dirty streets. I would stay for less than $100 a night and that's including the "occupancy charge". Check surrounding hotels, a couple blocks away, before booking this one.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business