“Convenient, clean”

Ranked #30 of 49 Hotels in Oakland
Seattle, WA
“Convenient, clean”
Reviewed May 2, 2013

Had a good stay during a business trip. Everything reasonable in SF was booked; this hotel is only one block from BART so a short ride into SF financial district. Staff was friendly, room on the smaller side but clean, no evening noise, good wi-fi. Did not venture beyond the one block stretch between hotel and BART: several restaurants/bar/coffee shop. The kebab/Indian restaurant adjacent to hotel was very reasonable and good quality.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank itchy242
ayalnesh C, Manager at Clarion Hotel-Downtown Oakland, responded to this review, June 3, 2013
Thanks for recommending us! I'm glad to know you found our hotel comfortable and convenient to the Financial District. I hope you stay with us the next time you visit San Francisco!

Take care,
Ayu, General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Saint Paul, Minnesota
Reviewed March 20, 2013

Whether it is for business or personal, this hotel does not offer much. Hotel was recently remodeled and staff is friendly. No swimming pool. The fitness room - Be careful! Treadmill can change settings at any given time. Refrigerator and microwave were clean. It is a decent place to stay in downtown Oakland, CA. No matter where you go in downtown Oakland, you will see homelessness and dirty streets. I would stay for less than $100 a night and that's including the "occupancy charge". Check surrounding hotels, a couple blocks away, before booking this one.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank 68May68
Reviewed February 24, 2013 via mobile

-Location is absolutely terrible. Parking lot next door to hotel is a city parking lot, $5 a day. I really hope nothing happens to my car. :/ there was trash strewn about the side walk as you exit the lot by car. (As if someone turned a dumpster upside down).
-The hotel does not have breakfast ( or any breakfast items, fruit, bagels etc).
-the elevator felt as if there was an earthquake, it shakes so much. It also opens slightly prior to stopping. (At the 3 rd floor)

I will say however, though the rooms are very tiny- almost dorm like, it was clean. The furnishings appeared to be updated. No microwave / fridge in my room . (I heard a guest say there are some rooms with microwave/ fridge, but you literally have to go hunt for it).

I will not be back- based on the location and lack of on site hotel parking and breakfast.

• Stayed February 2013
3 Thank MrsSmitty09
California
Reviewed January 11, 2013

I've stayed a couple times now at this hotel because my employer gets a discount from them. The hotel itself is fine if you're traveling by yourself, on business: it's clean and functional. The internet connection (cable) is fast. But the surrounding area is blighted. I got mugged a block away (two guys grabbed me and said they would shoot me if I didn't give them my money and phone). This was at all of 8pm, but by then all the surrounding businesses were boarded up and few people were on the street. I looked at one of those crime-mapping websites, and it showed 3-4 other muggings in the previous week in the same immediate vicinity. There's really nothing in the area itself; I guess the best thing is that BART is a block away (but note that I was mugged all of a block away). The middle eastern restaurant next door seems to have closed. I know it's not fair to judge the hotel itself on what happens outside its control, but the location is what it is. Honestly, I just won't stay here again because of the area. On the plus side, there is a good coffee shop just down the street.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
7 Thank flipper314
South Lake Tahoe, California, United States
Reviewed November 22, 2012

This is a great hotel. Rooms are a little small and you don't get breakfast, but it is newly remodeled, very safe, and clean. It is hard to get sunlight because of the other tall buildings. Front desk staff was courteous.

Very good location and close to all kinds of cool bars and the Fox Theatre.

Room Tip: Park your car in the garage across the street.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 4, 2012

My room was clean and the front desk was fantastic. The neighborhood is slightly sketchy but I certainly felt comfortable out during the day and mostly at night too. Can't beat the price. The restaurant downstair was some of the best cheap mediterranean food I've ever had!

Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Kburks
Reviewed October 30, 2012

This hotel is the worst!!!! The guy that checked me in appeared to be high. I asked for directions to a convenience store and he send me to a corner where people deal drugs and there was no store. They also couldn't figure out how to procees a business credit card demanding extra forms and identification, even though my office paid online. I ended up having to pay with a personal card. The front desk people were unhelpful and rude. On top of that I used the gym and there was no water. I asked a staff member if he could refill the water tank and he said ok then disappeared never to return. One of the worst hotel experiences ever!!!!

• Stayed October 2012
ayalnesh C, Manager at Clarion Hotel-Downtown Oakland, responded to this review, June 17, 2013
Thank you for letting me know about your experience. We take drug abuse very seriously, and don't condone any such behavior in our hotel.

Having said that, I apologize for the poor service you experienced. I completely understand how frustrating it is to receive advice or assurances from the staff, only to not end up being helped. I'll be sure to speak with the staff about this to make sure our guests are better served going forward.

Best,