“Business travelers beware” 1 of 5 stars

Clarion Hotel-Downtown Oakland
Ranked #24 of 48 Hotels in Oakland
“Business travelers beware”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

This hotel is the worst!!!! The guy that checked me in appeared to be high. I asked for directions to a convenience store and he send me to a corner where people deal drugs and there was no store. They also couldn't figure out how to procees a business credit card demanding extra forms and identification, even though my office paid online. I ended up having to pay with a personal card. The front desk people were unhelpful and rude. On top of that I used the gym and there was no water. I asked a staff member if he could refill the water tank and he said ok then disappeared never to return. One of the worst hotel experiences ever!!!!

• Stayed October 2012
    • 1 of 5 stars
ayalnesh C, Manager at Clarion Hotel-Downtown Oakland, responded to this review, June 17, 2013
Thank you for letting me know about your experience. We take drug abuse very seriously, and don't condone any such behavior in our hotel.

Having said that, I apologize for the poor service you experienced. I completely understand how frustrating it is to receive advice or assurances from the staff, only to not end up being helped. I'll be sure to speak with the staff about this to make sure our guests are better served going forward.

Best,
Ayu, General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Los Angeles
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

Let's review the rooms...small and poorly planned. Example #1-Open door take 1 step in and voila, there's your bed. Example #2- Desk is placed next to the bed with the mirror hanging on the wall. If you want to turn the desk chair and watch TV and lean back with enough force-expect 7 years of bad luck after you break that mirror. The door jambs are so poorly fitted that the hallway light filters in and illuminates the dark room.

As for the parking situation, you pray at night before bed that your car is there in the AM and if it is, the glass windows are intact. It's a public lot that is used by the hotel guests. I don't know why management doesn't work something out with the city and provide private security and some security cameras.

I guess larger rooms exists, I just wish I knew that before getting my dorm room.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Santa Monica, CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2012

Rooms are clean, although some of them are tiny. You may want to ask for one of their larger ones (which are generally the same price). Very small fitness center with 3 machines. Mediterranean restaurant right next door. In the middle of downtown which is convenient (very close to BART subway) but not a great neighborhood to hang out in at night time.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
St Louis
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2012

This hotel is located in Oakland, and it is like night and day compared to San Francisco. In a bad way. However, this hotel is clean and well maintained. It was a pleasant stay but each morning I was worried that our car had been broken into. If this hotel had secure parking available, it would be perfect. It is right next to public transportation that is a faster trip than driving into the city. We took public transportation to the football game (49ers) and it was a very easy and economical trip. It is also right off the highway; it makes getting where you want to go very easy. I recommend it if you don't have a car or if you enjoy the suspense of wondering if your rental was broken into the previous night.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Seattle, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

This hotel was what we hoped for. Our romantic getaway to San Francisco was tempered by financial constraints. We enjoyed the comfy bed, couch, and most importantly, a big soaking bath tub (with jets) after walking around SF all day. Staff was friendly & helpful. A good deal overall.

We were willing to add ~30 min to our daily travel time into the city via very convenient BART to come back to a lovely room. Next time we may stay closer into SF, only to reduce travel time, not for any flaws with the property. We were concerned by other comments about the neighborhood, but found it to be like most cities. Of course we were aware of our surroundings walking after dark, and wouldn't have left valuables in a car if we were driving, but that's true at home too. Remaining suggestions for the hotel -- a corkscrew to lend to guests to enjoy the amazing local wine they bring back to the room would be a worthwhile investment, and talk the local garbage company into collecting the weekly garbage in a back alley rather than in front & right under the suite's windows at 6am.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
One World
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2012

The staff was ultra professional and warm. The housekeeper was very respectful and even seemed to take special care with replenishing the items I used the most. I was visiting for both business and pleasure, and my other accommodations fell through at the last minute. The room was comfortable. It was small, but that's what one should expect from an older building. Being older and sturdier, the walls were not paper-thin.

I had only planned to stay here one night, but I ended up staying for the entire trip (4 nights) The location is ideal being walking distance from excellent coffee and food and various museums. Also about two blocks from the BART subway system. It made my stay very seamless and enjoyable. Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Atacama_Mama
Thank you so much for your kind recommendation. I'm delighted to know your housekeeper took special care of you. We all work hard to make sure our guests enjoy a pleasant and comfortable stay. Hope to see you again the next time you're in the Bay Area!

All the best,
Ayu, General Manager
Moorpark, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

We took a spur of the moment weekend trip up north from the Los Angeles area. Our plans involved flying up on Saturday and then taking the train back on Sunday. So - with BART opening their doors at 8:00 am, our train at 8:50 am, and the fact that we didn't have a car for this trip, staying in Oakland became a necessity.

Downtown Oakland is not necessarily overly seedy, and it has it's spots that are nice (9thish and Broadway area, Jack London Square, etc). As a tourist, this hotel was right on the edge of where we felt comfortable and safe walking around. Once we got in, the hotel itself was decent. There was obviously a renovation going on in the lobby area, which meant some dust, but on the flip side shows care of the property - so that's good. Staff was nice and check-in was efficient.

The big surprise was the size of the room - really, the size of everything. The posters who talk about the rooms being small - this is no joke! I wasn't upset having known what to expect, but small is putting it generously. I think the only smaller room I've ever stayed in was in Hong Kong and that was roughly the size of a postage stamp. This was approximately shoebox sized, but hey, for one night, paying what we paid, can't complain. The bed was comfortable and the comforts were there.

Would I stay here again? If I was staying near downtown Oakland, I suppose. I can't fault the hotel too much for its surroundings. I think next time, I'll probably shoot for closer to the water or across the bay, if only for the neighborhood. Specifically, though, the hotel was fine, staff was nice, everything was as promised, and we paid next to nothing for this spot, so that all equates to a good rating. Just know what you're signing up for!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple