“Basic hotel downtown Oakland” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Clarion Hotel-Downtown Oakland

Clarion Hotel-Downtown Oakland
Ranked #26 of 49 Hotels in Oakland
Santa Monica, CA
“Basic hotel downtown Oakland”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 27, 2012

Rooms are clean, although some of them are tiny. You may want to ask for one of their larger ones (which are generally the same price). Very small fitness center with 3 machines. Mediterranean restaurant right next door. In the middle of downtown which is convenient (very close to BART subway) but not a great neighborhood to hang out in at night time.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
St Louis
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 20, 2012

This hotel is located in Oakland, and it is like night and day compared to San Francisco. In a bad way. However, this hotel is clean and well maintained. It was a pleasant stay but each morning I was worried that our car had been broken into. If this hotel had secure parking available, it would be perfect. It is right next to public transportation that is a faster trip than driving into the city. We took public transportation to the football game (49ers) and it was a very easy and economical trip. It is also right off the highway; it makes getting where you want to go very easy. I recommend it if you don't have a car or if you enjoy the suspense of wondering if your rental was broken into the previous night.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Seattle, Washington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2012

This hotel was what we hoped for. Our romantic getaway to San Francisco was tempered by financial constraints. We enjoyed the comfy bed, couch, and most importantly, a big soaking bath tub (with jets) after walking around SF all day. Staff was friendly & helpful. A good deal overall.

We were willing to add ~30 min to our daily travel time into the city via very convenient BART to come back to a lovely room. Next time we may stay closer into SF, only to reduce travel time, not for any flaws with the property. We were concerned by other comments about the neighborhood, but found it to be like most cities. Of course we were aware of our surroundings walking after dark, and wouldn't have left valuables in a car if we were driving, but that's true at home too. Remaining suggestions for the hotel -- a corkscrew to lend to guests to enjoy the amazing local wine they bring back to the room would be a worthwhile investment, and talk the local garbage company into collecting the weekly garbage in a back alley rather than in front & right under the suite's windows at 6am.

One World
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2012

The staff was ultra professional and warm. The housekeeper was very respectful and even seemed to take special care with replenishing the items I used the most. I was visiting for both business and pleasure, and my other accommodations fell through at the last minute. The room was comfortable. It was small, but that's what one should expect from an older building. Being older and sturdier, the walls were not paper-thin.

I had only planned to stay here one night, but I ended up staying for the entire trip (4 nights) The location is ideal being walking distance from excellent coffee and food and various museums. Also about two blocks from the BART subway system. It made my stay very seamless and enjoyable. Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Atacama_Mama
ayalnesh C, Manager at Clarion Hotel-Downtown Oakland, responded to this review, June 17, 2013
Thank you so much for your kind recommendation. I'm delighted to know your housekeeper took special care of you. We all work hard to make sure our guests enjoy a pleasant and comfortable stay. Hope to see you again the next time you're in the Bay Area!

All the best,
Ayu, General Manager
Moorpark, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2012

We took a spur of the moment weekend trip up north from the Los Angeles area. Our plans involved flying up on Saturday and then taking the train back on Sunday. So - with BART opening their doors at 8:00 am, our train at 8:50 am, and the fact that we didn't have a car for this trip, staying in Oakland became a necessity.

Downtown Oakland is not necessarily overly seedy, and it has it's spots that are nice (9thish and Broadway area, Jack London Square, etc). As a tourist, this hotel was right on the edge of where we felt comfortable and safe walking around. Once we got in, the hotel itself was decent. There was obviously a renovation going on in the lobby area, which meant some dust, but on the flip side shows care of the property - so that's good. Staff was nice and check-in was efficient.

The big surprise was the size of the room - really, the size of everything. The posters who talk about the rooms being small - this is no joke! I wasn't upset having known what to expect, but small is putting it generously. I think the only smaller room I've ever stayed in was in Hong Kong and that was roughly the size of a postage stamp. This was approximately shoebox sized, but hey, for one night, paying what we paid, can't complain. The bed was comfortable and the comforts were there.

Would I stay here again? If I was staying near downtown Oakland, I suppose. I can't fault the hotel too much for its surroundings. I think next time, I'll probably shoot for closer to the water or across the bay, if only for the neighborhood. Specifically, though, the hotel was fine, staff was nice, everything was as promised, and we paid next to nothing for this spot, so that all equates to a good rating. Just know what you're signing up for!

Seattle
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2012

We had originally planned on staying at the Oakland Clarion for four nights but began looking for alternate accommodations only hours after checking in.

The good: The room was spacious and clean. The linens were clean and high quality. The staff was friendly, extremely helpful and very personable.

The not so good: Internet access. While the hotel did offer wireless Internet, it was offered ONLY in the lobby.  A wired connection was offered in the room. This option is probably fine for most people but neither one of us had a device that could be hooked up to the wired connection (we had an iPad and an Android tablet). This posed a big inconvenience when trying to catch up on emails  each night, or just hopping on line to plan our activities for the next day.

The really awful: Parking/the general area - there was a parking lot immediately adjacent to the hotel that had no fewer than four parking spots full of glass from previously bashed out car windows. Graffiti, empty liquor bottles and litter was everywhere. When we asked the person at the front desk where we could park, he suggested that street parking was the safest and cautioned us not to leave any items visible in our vehicle. He also suggested we try parking several blocks up the street at the post office vehicle lot. Now, I'm not sure how it works in Oakland, but where I'm from, leaving your vehicle unattended in a government facility's parking lot is hugely frowned upon...

The hotel itself is adequate and may be just fine for most people. It just simply did not meet our particular needs. The area is pretty sketchy and had I seen the property in person, I never would have booked a stay here.

california
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2012

I was trying to save some time and money since I was doing work in the area and didn't want to drive all the way home. Big mistake. This stay cost me about $220 in addition to the hotel cost to repair the broken window caused by a vandal in the parking lot next to the hotel. The vandal broke the driver's window and tossed my vehicle. Nothing of value in the car and nothing was stolen. Just a big mess and a hassle.

I should have known better because I called the hotel beforehand asked about the parking situation. They advised me to park in an open lot next to the hotel (cost of $5). There is a secure parking garage across the street but they close for entry in the early afternoon which meant I couldn't park there.

If the hotel cared about the patrons they would arrange a contract with the garage across the street and allow patrons to park there at any hour. Obviously, they don't care because if you read other reviews I am not the first victim.

I booked a double room which was clean, but there was no mini-fridge - which is unheard of for the price they were charging. Additionally, there is no breakfast provided.

The shower head in the shower/tub was not the worst I have ever experienced. It was a step above showers I have had while camping at a KOA.

The room was fairly quiet on the fifth floor.

There is a small cafe next to the hotel and as a guest you are directed there for breakfast or dinner. Avoid it. It is overpriced and the food tastes out of date. I tried it for dinner. I ordered a falafel platter and was charged $9. This platter had three falafels, a cucumber salad and pita bread. The same size platter would be roughly half this price anywhere else. Some of the food tasted off, but I didn't get food poisoning, so I suppose I was lucky.

Close to BART. There is a McDonalds about a third of a mile from the hotel - walk towards Webster and make a left on Jackson.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business