“I love this zoo”
Review of Oakland Zoo

Oakland Zoo
Ranked #5 of 127 things to do in Oakland
More attraction details
Owner description: A 100-acre zoo that contains 58 exhibits of more than 400 native and exotic animals from around the world, which are represented by 100 different species.
Reviewed January 10, 2013

I love the animals, and I love riding the lift and train around it. It's a big zoo, and the animals seem quite content. We keep a membership even if we only go once a year sometimes. It's just such a great resource. Another reason to love Oakland.

1  Thank mskih

Reviewed January 2, 2013

Had a great time at the Oakland Zoo. There is a lot of walking and hills, but the animals are well maintained, the staff very friendly. The facilities are really nice, almost too big; at times, playing spot the animal was tough. The children's area is excellent, but doesn't have a clear "path" to follow.

The one thing I was amazed at was the food; the chicken tenders were amazing - probably the best I ever had.

This is a great zoo for a shorter day trip; it isn't quite as big as the San Francisco Zoo, but well worth the trip.

Reviewed December 29, 2012 via mobile

My sisters and I brought our families to the zoo. Our children ranged in age from 1 year to 23 years. We all love animals so we enjoyed the exhibits. We spent most of our time at the childrens zoo. The little ones loved the frogs- I must say the blue poison frog was my favorite. We all loved the fruit bats- amazing!!! We rode the tram across the zoo! It was exhilerating!!! Hold on to your slip on shoes before you leave. Remember, once you get on, you are committed to an appoximate 20 minute ride as my 9 year old niece found out who cried for 15 minutes. She didn't appreciate the height.
The kids all enjoyed the ride area. Everyone enjoyed the little train that took us to the "outback". We had lunch in the Island Cafe. The food was delicious! We had the best grilled cheese sandwiches ever, awesome chili cheese nachos, fabulous coffee, etc. Everything tasted homemade. We've all been to many zoos, so to compare this zoo to others, as far as exhibits and activity we felt it was good. The staff was friendly and helpful. Overall, it was a fun family place.

1  Thank Gowithtwin
Reviewed December 20, 2012

We had a behind-the-scenes tour of the zoo, and everyone was so wonderful! The caretakers are kind, knowledgeable, and in-tune with the animals. The animals seem very well cared-for and content. I loved the tortoises and the sky bucket ride!

Reviewed November 20, 2012

This zoo is great. Located in the hills of Oakland, you can see tigers, bugs, snakes, bats, and lions. My favorite are the primates.

It's not depressing like the SF Zoo.