“Wonderful Change”

Burma Superstar
Ranked #4 of 1,328 Restaurants in Oakland
Cuisines: Burmese
Reviewed August 28, 2014

There are familiar ingredients and spices on this menu, but the blend of flavors is nicely different and welcome. The tamarindo-ginger spritzer is fantastic. Parking can be tricky so build in time. We went without a reservation at one-thirty for lunch and had to wait. But, there was a wedding party being held. The bride was lovely.

Reviewed August 22, 2014

I came here with experienced friends who knew when to arrive because we only had to wait 10 minutes and got great seats. I have to say that I was looking forward to coming to this place because I have been to Mingalaba in Burlingame and I love that place. People told me this place is even better. I just didn't know how that could be possible. I thought it could be the same but not better. But it was possible!
I tried the same dishes that I would normally order at Mingalaba - Mango shrimp and tea leaf salad. I have to say that I was pleasantly surprised at how extra delicious they were at Burma Superstar. I also got to try their coconut rice (you can eat it on its own!), garlic chili shrimp and salt & pepper calamari and they were all divine. I always love the Tea Leaf Salad. It's like an explosion of so many different flavors in your mouth. Anyone who can't appreciate that just don't have the palate for exotic flavors. I am a huge fan! Everything I tried is absolutely fantastic. I am lucky because I am always near both Mingalaba and Burma Superstar so I can visit both places when I am in their areas.

Reviewed August 22, 2014

First time at Burma Superstar & SO happy my neighbor invited me. She had lots of great recommendations! Had a bite of the Tea Leaf Salad which I will order next time it was fabulous! I loved their version of Pad Thai. Can't remember the name of it but was #65 on the menu.Usually I prefer a bit spicier but man this was excellent and brought half home for later! Small diner so our neighbor suggested take out in the evenings as the wait can be long.

Reviewed August 9, 2014 via mobile

I wish we had eaten here at the beginning of our trip so we could have gone again and again to try more of the menu!! I ordered the Chili Lamb (first time trying lamb) and my husband got the Superstar Shrimp. We had a coconut rice to share. Mine was spicy but amazing! My husband raved on and on about the shrimp. I could have eaten the coconut rice until my eyes popped out, it was so amazing!! We got there about 7 on a Saturday night and only had to wait 15 or so minutes. The servers are wonderful and everything is at a hurried pace. It is small and noisy but a fun atmosphere! I wish we had time to go again!!

Reviewed August 6, 2014

We came in a large group (15 people) on a Tuesday night around 8 o'clock. We only had to wait about 25 minutes for a table. We ordered a lot of dishes; the standout dishes for me were: tea leaf salad, Fiery Beef, Curry pork with potatoes, Nan gyi dok and coconut rice (its really good).