“So Good, we made it twice in one day.” 4 of 5 bubbles

Cuisines: Mediterranean, Spanish
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Seating, Waitstaff
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Seating, Waitstaff
Sun Lakes, Arizona
“So Good, we made it twice in one day.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2014

We stopped in for a lite snack before meeting friends. After spending time in the neighborhood with our friends, we all came back here for supper. Luckily, we hit Happy Hour and we all loaded up on the $5 Happy Hour tapas which were very ample for sampling many options. No one made a bad choice. First time I found Blood Sausage on a restaurant menu in my life. It was a nice little dish and the Blood Sausage brought back great memories of my youth when our local butcher made it. Not as gross as it sounds. Don't be afraid to try it. Seafood Paella was great... per three servings and four opinions. I could go on about the individual options, but suffice it to say, there were no complaints with seven different tapas...just absolute praise for all items. Good wines also. Wish we lived nearby.

• Visited July 2014

Oakland, California
“Great tapas place closing soon; enjoy while you can!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 17, 2014

Friends and I have been coming to Barlata off and on for the past few years. As the sister restaurant to B44 in San Francisco, they have made their own mark in the East Bay. I was there with friends last Friday and came to find out they are closing in the next few months.

Here's how the restaurant experience breaksdown:

Staff: Always friendly, courteous and helpful

Food: Love the tapas...they have a great variety and some unique dishes like the roasted pigs feet terrine. Very delicious, all meat dish served with crostini....The oxtail is also delicious, moist and flavorful...Paella's are excellent and very authentic. I especially enjoy the Arroz negre with squid and clams...

Wines: Great price for great spanish wines and cavas.

We'll miss Barlata! We'll have to travel to B44 for similar food.

• Visited June 2014
Barcelona, Spain
“I'm a bit biased...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 23, 2014

I've lived for 6 years in Barcelona, so really have no business even eating tapas outside of Spain. This place is one of my brother's favorites. He lives in Oakland and has spent some time eating and drinking in Barça, so when he decided to take me here while I was in town for his college graduation, I went with it... We ordered 7 plates; some less than and a few nice surprises, beginning with a good bread and a dipping sauce of black olive paste in olive oil. I'd pass on the patatas bravas, which are a plate of pride in Spain, but I'm pretty sure these were made with frozen potatoes, essentially killing the entire purpose of the dish. The cheese plate, though well overpriced for the amount, was a nice selection of good cheeses. I did really enjoy the boquerones, which were interestingly served with another good cheese and atop Asian pears (which are always a lovely situation!) The pintxo moruno (skewered lamb) needed a bit more flavor and a couple of minutes more cooking, but I did really like the 2 different white wines, selected by our waiter, who spent time living in Barcelona while at university. Javier, another nice waiter, delivered exactly 4 cups of a wonderfully surprisingly good cava to our table. The "lata" of codfish in beans is also well done, though the codfish could have been soaked a little longer, making it a hint less salty. All in all a nice meal in a nice ambience and for those who like tapas and don't live near where they originated, this place is a more than suitable substitute!

• Visited May 2014
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank scastro27
Chapel Hill, North Carolina
“Excellent tapas”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 26, 2014

A friend and I stopped in for a late lunch. The kitchen was closing but stayed open long enough for us to place our order. We had a cheese sampler, potatas braves, an octopus tapas along with a couple other small plates. The food was excellent as was the service. We were not rushed, in fact we were told to stay as long as we wished despite the restaurant changing shifts to prepare for dinner. It was nice to see a selection of Spanish fino on the bar menu. Very good value, nice spot. Highly recommended.

• Visited February 2014
1 Thank alsek810
San Francisco, California
“A great little treasure with a fun ambiance”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 10, 2014

Great dining experience with great food and great service.
Make sure to select select as many appetizer items an the gazpacho and the tuna. Their Paella is very good as well but have only had it once. Good wine list without exorbitant prices.
Can get noise when packed, but if you are looking for a European feel to the restaurant, this is the place.

Visited November 2013