“Some dishes better than in Spain!”
Review of barlata - CLOSED

barlata
Oakland, California
“Some dishes better than in Spain!”
Reviewed December 12, 2012

I am fortunate in that, as my parents live in Spain, I get to travel to the country often and sample the cuisine in various regions.

I will not comment on the atmosphere at Barlata other than to say that whilst no place can replicate the feeling one gets when they are abroad, it does offer a nice ambience. Instead, what I will focus on is the food.

There is one dish in particular which, in my opinion, is tastier than any restaurant I have tried in Spain! Incredulous I know but believe me!

Gambas y Alioli is one of the most ubiquitous tapas in Spain. Yet many places there serve the smaller shrimp and boil or lightly pan fry it in the garlic and olive oil. Barlata uses the larger prawns and adds a concoction of spices to the frying process. It delivers a spicy, piquant flavor that will have you soaking up every last drop with your bread!

The best thing I can say about the menu overall is that they taste authentic and a couple of others are quite notable (e.g. Fabada, Oxtail, Paquillo Peppers). They are also able to prepare and serve small paellas quite quickly, which is no mean feat.

If they were in walking distance, I would be eating there at least once a week!
One word of caution - do not sit near the doors if you are susceptible to drafts!

• Visited November 2012
1 Thank Garnea

Oakland
“Great spanish tapas”
Reviewed October 18, 2012

First of all, there are not many spanish places in the East Bay ( and by that I mean spanish from Spain, it seems that people tend to think that spanish food can include mexican?!) but, it is not only, there are not many to compare it too but it is really delicious.
Barlata has improve their food from some years before, it has great full bar but it is a little too noisy...I love their fideua nera ( black noodles )

• Visited October 2012
1 Thank mariedda
Blue Hill, Maine
“Good Food”
Reviewed September 21, 2012

We ate at this Spanish tappas and paella restuarant last night and were very impressed. A little noisy, but iwith a happy atmosphere. Four of us with a $37 bottle of wine totalled $131 which included 5 tappas to share, 3 desserts and 4 coffees. Not bad. The food was fully seasoned but not over-spiced. We tried things we had not had before, suc as pigs feetand were delighted with it all. The waitress made wonderful recommendations.
Yes! Go there!

• Visited September 2012
1 Thank pellverm
Bordeaux
“Excellent Barman”
Reviewed May 25, 2012

Offered samples of products he thought we might like, very knowledgeable, passionate about his craft.

• Visited May 2012
SF Bay Area
“One of the best Spanish tapas places!”
Reviewed April 3, 2012

Get there early (no reservations). Limited seating, almost all tables for 2 or 4. Larger parties are put at a 16-person communal table. Waitstaff is REALLY good, know the food and wine, the tables are cleared regularly with clean plates.

We have eaten at Zarzuela/SF and B44/SF (same owners as Barlata), and all four of us agreed that Barlata is the best of the three, hands-down. Oakland is lucky to have them!

• Visited November 2011