“Bay Area Gem”

Commis
Ranked #47 of 1,257 Restaurants in Oakland
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Rio Vista
Transit: Nearest Bart Station: Macarthur Taxis are often available outside the station for a quick ride to our restaurant.
Description: Commis restaurant serves a cuisine driven by modern and classic culinary traditions and is composed of ingredients that are grown, harvested, and foraged from the land that surrounds us. We offer a nightly coursed menu. ***If you or your dining companions have any food allergies, please note them when completing your reservation. Allergies will be accommodated with a spontaneous vegetarian preparation. Thank you for helping us best serve your party. THE CHEF'S COUNTER SEATING OFFERS A FRONT ROW VIEW OF OUR OPEN KITCHEN AND AVAILABILITY FOR THE COUNTER IS MANAGED DIRECTLY BY THE RESTAURANT.
San Francisco
“Bay Area Gem”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 14, 2012

Commis is a bay area gem where Chez Panisse meets Noma in an intimate setting. Try to get a seat at the Chef’s Counter, which is available only by phone reservation. It gives a unique opportunity to see those chefs at work - cooking and assembling each course with great care and precision. It also gives a glimpse into what comes next.

Everything is perfectly executed here. The menu is absolutely divine with every course in perfect harmony and balance with beauty and elegance. We love the emphasis on fresh vegetables. We had some of the best tasting vegetables here – asparagus that were carefully salted with dried herring roe, peas and avocado in this wonderful sauce, and perfectly grilled shallots with delicious, rich, and foamy broth. Other courses included heavenly oyster, a dish with egg yolk that took us back to the time when we dined at Noma, lamb with faro cereal and mushrooms that was just divine, and a perfect dessert. The wine pairing is a must. This is probably one of our very favorite wine pairings we tried anywhere. However, what makes this place really special is the amazing service – attentive, thoughtful, and considerate. This is probably one of the best meals we had in the US!

• Visited May 2012

Peterborough, New Hampshire
“My taste buds thought they'd died and gone to heaven!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 4, 2012

My kids brought us here to celebrate our 40th anniversary. What a fabulous treat. The food was innovative. Each course was a delight to the eye and then to the taste buds. The service was formal but not pretentious, it was just all about the food. The first course, pacific oyster, sunchoke and green anise in sea foam was particularly memorable. It was the essence of the ocean. A remarkable restaurant.

• Visited February 2012
Oakland, Ca,
“Great food!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 21, 2012

Fantastic food, very well presented and served. Excellent wine selection. Just focus on the food and not the surrounding. Expensive but worth it!

Visited December 2011
Danville, California
“Great food - but pretenious”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2011

I love great food. My friend told me about Commis a while ago and I was intrigued. We decided to take a friend, who is a gourmet chef for her birthday, since we knew how much she loves good food. I was excited to finally try it out. I let them know we were celebrating a special birthday.

The hostess was charming when we came in. The food was great - like everyone else described: innovative, creative and fantastic. The lamb dish was my favorite and perfectly executed.

The service was like the stark design. Don't get me wrong. They were professional and orchestrated their moves. But we found it lifeless and pretentious. I am not sure what experience they wanted to provide but it was as though they were doing us a favor by allowing us to eat their great food. It was stiff and as my friend said "it matched the stark walls." For me, part of going out is the experience and not just the food.

It would have been okay. We were having a great time celebrating when we were told we needed to leave since they have a party of 6. They had another table for us but never took us there. Totally ruined the evening.

• Visited October 2011
1 Thank Ayeletb
San Francisco
“Great Meal, Relaxed Ambiance”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2011

I went for a birthday event with my husband and daughter. We got both the food and wine pairings. Every dish was really good, some were knockouts that I still think about, and only a couple of the 12 or so courses weren't in the memorable category. The service was attentive but not cloying or overblown. The wine pairings were excellently selected. The setting is casual and minimal which I enjoyed. My only criticism was the table tops which weren't particularly nice wood and we missed the softness of tablecloths which would have helped a little with the noise from nearby tables. The restaurant isn't terribly noisy though compared to most. The attention to the food, its quality, and its freshness was evident. This is a true BARGAIN - for the quality of the food at this price. We probably wouldn't do the wine pairing again as it added up for 3 of us and we could have gotten a couple good bottles of wine but I'm not complaining. GO and Enjoy.

• Visited December 2010