“Modern Latin food in Jack London Square”
Review of Bocanova

Bocanova
Ranked #10 of 1,281 Restaurants in Oakland
Cuisines: South American, Fusion
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Embarcadero W
San Francisco Bay area
“Modern Latin food in Jack London Square”
Reviewed June 10, 2014

Another good reason to revisit Jack London Square, which has been trying hard to reinvent itself. With this restaurant, I think things are going in the right direction.

Came here for lunch on a beautiful, sunny day in June - sat outside with a view of the harbor. The menu has so many interesting things. The chef adds peppers to many of the dishes to make the flavors Latin-style. I had the crab deviled eggs drizzled with chipotle aoli - 4 large eggs, delicious! Also, the grilled peppers with Trapani sea salt were enough for the table to share. My companions had the duck confit tacos (like carnitas, only with duck), filled with lots of crunchy veggies - and the pork tamale. I would order either next time. The wine list has many interesting choices, which can be ordered by the glass, carafe, or bottle. One friend had a cocktail similar to a gin & tonic, only with cucumber and basil added - refreshing! Desserts: passion fruit crème brulee and the famous chocolate bread pudding. I am passionate about passion fruit and this dessert was a little disappointing - not enough tart passion fruit puree. I did mention this and hopefully the chef will indulge an improvement:) But the chocolate bread pudding was all that was hoped for! This place is wonderful and I hope to return for dinner soon.

• Visited June 2014

Cambridge, UK
“Small portions so really only 3.5 stars”
Reviewed June 6, 2014 via mobile

Good location overlooking the water. My wife and I had walked down from the Marriott and stopped here for dinner we both chose the Steelhead trout (aka salmon to us Brits). Well cooked, excellent flavours but portions were on the small side. Up-side is we had room to share the excellent white chocolate bread pudding.

In summary: good location, good service, good food but small portions.

Visited June 2014
Pleasanton, California
“Fresh ingredents, great taste, excellent Jack London Sqaure location by the water”
Reviewed May 29, 2014

I went there for lunch with my husband and 2 other couples. I started with the Fried Peppers in Trapani sea salt, which disappeared very quickly once my friends tried them. Nice, spicy, salty, yum.
My Quinoa, kale, avocado, cucumber, celery, mango with mustard vinaigrette was very enticing and addictive. I also shared the Roasted Beets, goat cheese, green garlic, lemon oil and hazelnuts dish with my husband. It had a full, complex flavor. and the plantain chips - very crips, not greasy. As you can see, many great choices for vegetarians.

For dessert I had the creme fraiche cheesecake. Ah, it was creamy and light,
I would definitely order it again!

All in all, great atmosphere, location and food in Oakland.

• Visited May 2014
Oakland, California
“Outstanding food and atmosphere”
Reviewed May 28, 2014

One of Oakland's best restaurants. The food and service are always excellent. Although it may seem a little pricey, you truly get what you pay for!

• Visited March 2014
“Good food, nice atmosphere”
Reviewed May 28, 2014

The Latin American food is delicious. We had the table full of small plates and were able to try almost all the Happy Hour menu. The children could play outside in the open area of Jack London Square. A great family place.

• Visited May 2014