“Hopping Place with Views & Great Food” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Bocanova

Bocanova
Reserve with OpenTable
Bocanova is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #11 of 1,250 Restaurants in Oakland
Cuisines: South American, Fusion
Good for: Large groups, Scenic view, Business meetings, Families with children, Special occasions, Bar scene
Dining options: Brunch, Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Embarcadero W
San Francisco, California
“Hopping Place with Views & Great Food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2013

The newly renovated Jack London Square is a wonderful place to stroll the promenade, check out the harbor, and watch the clouds roll in. Bocanova has an outdoor patio with heaters with terrific views of the boats. The small plate selection is innovative and excellent. Each dish is meant to be shared which makes for a satisfying and varied meal. Try the snap pea and jicama salad, the boat scallops, lamb, and black risotto for mouth-watering delight. Skip the Dungeness crab deviled eggs¬they still need a bit of oomph. The ahi tuna tartar was yummy but too small. Corkage is a steep $22 a bottle. They have an extensive wine selection for hefty prices. Interior is trendy and well designed with interesting glass blown light fixtures. We’ll want to explore the menu at this restaurant further. Service is terrific and everyone was friendly and helpful.

• Visited July 2013

San Francisco
“Standards have slipped”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2013

I have eaten lunch a number of times at this resturant and overall it has been good. The meal I ordered today was horrible. It was heavy, tastless and a mess. To make matters worse the waitress could not care less that I only had only eaten 10% of the meal. I live locally but I will not be returning.

• Visited July 2013
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Zantac
Oakland, CA
“loved this place”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 4, 2013

went with my husband and two family members for dinner...good ambiance, great food. ordered lobster /shrimp ceviche, tortilla chips, fries, lobster bisque, whole chicken, sea scallops, ribeye...loved everything but what stood out for me was the Lobster bisque...it was delicious...would definitely go back. food is pricey , but you get quality service and excellent food.

• Visited May 2013
Washington, DC
“Wish we'd picked another place on Oakland Waterfront”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 4, 2013

I went as part of a party of 12. We were seated at tables all lined up together, more or less in the middle of the restaurant, which was a big open space and that meant it was so noisy I really couldn't talk well to the people right next to me, much less the people a little farther away. (Fortunately, we all kept getting up and switching places from time to time, so we could all at least socialize a bit with other people.)

I know it takes a certain management skill for restaurants to deal with large parties, but in the case, just getting 12 orders took forever, and lots of the orders came out so late, people were starting to want to go home already. I don't remember the food that well -- nothing outstanding, overpriced tapas. I don't want to blame the waiter for how long everything took, because I think it's the management's fault for not assigning two waiters to a large party. Around 10:30pm I left. On the way back to my hotel I passed by Forge, another restaurant on the water on Jack London Square, and next time I'm back in that area, I'd like to see if that one's any better!

Visited June 2013
Avondale Estates, Georgia
“Good spot for lunch”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2013

I've had lunch here twice, and both times it was great. Not a bargain, but good quality, flavorful meals and pretty good service.

Visited June 2013