“Satisfying waterfront dining”

Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Embarcadero W
Reviewed November 12, 2012

What Bocanova most has going for it is location. They've got a great outdoor space with a view of the estuary. There's generally good people watching here. Plus a full bar. The cocktails are pretty good, decent beer on tap. Haven't had much wine here, so I can't speak to that. The food is good. Not memorable, but good. I find it slightly over priced for what it is, but not terribly so. But really, this is where I go when it's beautiful outside and I want to soak in the sun with a drink in my hand.

Reviewed November 11, 2012 via mobile

We had a mid-week lunch here. Located on Jack London Square, a tourist location, we were pleasantly surprised by the interesting physical plant site, the quality of the latin food/presentation and the reasonable prices. The Business Lunch (having done away with the sexist monicker: "Businessman's Lunch") was an incredible deal at $ 18 pp. The 3-course presentation provided ample portions, including interesting salads, squash soup, a well-prepared, high-end cut of beef and (over-salted) grilled scallops with a cream saffron sauce. The figurative topping on the cake was a passion fruit flan/creme brulee. The one of us who ordered enchiladas off the menu was similarly impressed. We've been looking for an excuse to return.

Reviewed October 28, 2012

This jack London square restaurant has it all: easy parking, beautiful unique decor, a really unique and interesting menu, great service and fair prices. The four of us shared the shishito peppers that were salty and hot, the chipotle sweat potato gratin, pork tamale, seared sea scallops, goat stew, marinated mushrooms, roasted pear dessert, and a bottle of Pinot Noir. Every plate left the table empty! Only downside, a bit noisy so sit on outside heated deck on the waterfront if you can.

Reviewed October 24, 2012

I've been to Bocanova three times in the last month and have had an overall excellent experience each time. The staff are friendly and informative. The food is unique and very tasty. A group of Central and South American chefs and cooks prepare their local cuisine with fresh, local incredients. The owners are on sight, the man behind the bar and the woman who checks in with you while you are dining. You can see pride of ownership all over this place. The decore has old fashioned mercury lights that give a warm glow to the entire restaurant. I have the salted peppers for an appetizer. I've tried many dishes in my three visits. None were less than great. Right at Jack London Square with the cool breezes from the Alameda estuary, dining outside is fun, but bring a jacket. With the rains, stay indoor and enjoy a feast.

Reviewed October 15, 2012

Although Jack London Square itself was a bit disappointing, this restaurant was a shining star. We went for brunch and the food was fresh and very tasty. The French Toast, ordered for a toddler, was delicious and everyone was hoping she wouldn't finish it so we could get another bite. The BLT was not your ordinary BLT - big in size, and big in flavor. The plain ole eggs, bacon, and toast were also out of the ordinary and delicious. If you are in the area I'd definitely stop in.