“Do Brunch Here”
Review of Pican - CLOSED

Pican
Cuisines: American, Contemporary
Good for: Romantic, Bar scene, Large groups, Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Grand Avenue
Transit: 19th Street BART, Oakland
Reviewed March 13, 2013

Their bloody marys are huge! The food is amazing! I am try to find excuses to go to Pican as often as possible!

Reviewed February 11, 2013

Great menu with unique southern cooking. Go for the sweet potatoe fries. The burgers are an unconventional fusion of flavors. If you are in Oakland, go there for lunch. Since I there for a business lunch, cocktails were out, but the bar area looked inviting and romantic.

Reviewed February 8, 2013 via mobile

Wonderful ambience, flawless contemporary Southern cuisine. Louisiana focused. I can't think of an equivalent place in SF, certainly not San Jose. Top notch service, Jill served us and made the evening a little more fun.

Reviewed February 5, 2013

I made reservations here for a business group at the insistence of a local client. I didn't know what to expect initially, given the description I got, but was very pleasantly surprised from the get-go. From the moment we walked through the door to the moment we left, there was warm, Southern hospitality and delicious food. Although I didn't partake, the extensive collection of special bourbons was really interesting. The food....an elegant twist on good ol' Southern comfort food. The she-crab soup was rich and flavorful -- better than Charleston. I also had the catfish entree which, while I expected to be fried, was actually grilled and delicious. It was perfectly spiced and was excellent with its accompaniments. My business colleagues ate fried chicken and a number of other special items. Even the vegan was happy! The service was fast and friendly, couldn't have asked for a nice experience.

1  Thank IMPiranha
Reviewed January 23, 2013

I was looking for a place where 8 old friends could get together to share a meal and conversation. I was also hoping I could find a restaurant that would showcase Oakland's spirit and rising stardom in the restuarant world and thought Pican would fit the bill.

On the negative side, when I called for the reservation, I felt put off by all the warnings to "be on time", "let us know at least an hour in advance if some in the party will not be there", and we can only divide the check 3 ways." It certainly did not feel welcoming, and when I got a call from them 2 hours before the reservation to make sure we were "still on", it reinforced the feeling that we weren't trustworthy enough to dine there.

However, once we entered the door, the experience went from bad to delightful. The atmosphere was understated and welcoming the food delicious, and the noise level quite tolerable for a large and busy establishment. I asked our waiter for recommendations on both food and drink, and he was spot on with both. Every one of the 8 of us was happy with the food we got (it's upscale southern), and our server was charming, attentive, and knowledgeable.

I would have rated them excellent on everything had it not been for all the negativity on the phone.Hopefully, they will learn to do abetter job on this, because otherwisw, I loved the place and will definitely go back.