“After a long search”

Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: West Grand Avenue
Transit: 4 Blocks from 19th Street Bart Station.
Reviewed November 21, 2012

After walking around the blocks of our hotel looking for an Thai restaurant that did not use MSG we asked advice from a group at a small bar "where can we find a place that does not use MSG in Oakland?". We were directed to Ozumo (Sushi/fusion/Japanese) theme Restaurant.
It was wonderful! Fresh, nice atmosphere, good wait staff and inovative dishes. We happen to get there during happy hour, which made the price reasonable. Every dish was good! I find when traveling happy hours can be a good sampling of the restaurants menu without breaking the bank.

Reviewed November 16, 2012 via mobile

Enjoyed a dinner visit here on work travel. This is a higher-end restaurant with unique food choices. The food presentation was incredible! The atmosphere was great. The flavors were very good. However, as with most high end restaurants, the prices were on the higher end and I left the restaurant still hungry. Eat here for reasons other than to get full. I would return, but not often.

Reviewed October 18, 2012

Ozumo is at the epi-center of Oakland's new Uptown restaurant and nightlife district and is also one of the three top restaurants in the area. My Daughter and I dined here and had a really great experience. We first had drinks in the bar/lounge followed by dinner in the dining room. Service throughout was exceptional and we really appreciated the friendliness, information, and recommendations from Jessica in the dining room. Ozumo is a large place with several seating areas and I believe all sections could be considered romantic. The food is Japanese inspired and there is a large selection of Sushi and fish dishes, but also much more on the menu. Our delicious entrees were the Jindori (roasted chicken with Ponzu Butter) and the Gindara (Black Cod). The Spider Roll (soft shell crab) was excellent. There is a really extensive Sake collection and the various Sake flights are interesting and informative. If one wishes to learn about Sake, this is a good place to do it. Ozumo also has a very good wine list. There is a vibrant bar scene, and the restaurant usually gets crowded on the weekend, especially First Friday when the Art Murmer takes place. That is a very festive time.

Reviewed July 24, 2012 via mobile

Their entrees are nothing close to generously portioned. Ranging from $20-$60 an entree and all you get is something that looks good. Presentation is key, but arent portions as well? I will definitely not be coming back here again. Service was ok, but only one shrimp came with my soup. One lousy shrimp! Id rather go to my usual hole in the wall sushi place.

Reviewed June 4, 2012

OK, first off, the specialty of Ozumo is robata-style cooking; so I am amused at all the reviews of their sushi. I'm sure it's good but their robata is spectacular. We ate there last night - tofu, mini-udon (to die for) robata vegetables (ditto) and then wonderful plates of duck and of tuna with crispy rice cakes. Their service was great, very attentive. This was our second visit and for us it's a destination restaurant. We'll return again.