“Pretty”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Lake Merritt

Lake Merritt
Ranked #3 of 119 things to do in Oakland
More attraction details
Owner description: Saltwater lake in the middle of the city.
London, United Kingdom
47 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 89 helpful votes
“Pretty”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 1, 2013

The lake is very pretty but there isn't much there. We were told there were a lot of gondolas bit didn't see any. A very picturesque spot for dinner though - well lit-up at night.

Visited November 2012

• Korean first
Oakland, California
8 attraction reviews
“Oakland's gem”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 31, 2013

Walking around Lake Merritt shows you the best of Oakland - all sorts of people using the lake for all sorts of reasons. Old folks, families, athletes, sweethearts... It's a great reflection of the diversity of Oakland.

Visited January 2013
san francisco
21 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 30 helpful votes
“I like all things about this lake, but treat yourself to the gondola!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 10, 2013

I love walking around the lake. I love the cathedral at edge of the lake. I love the botanical garden, and Fairyland. But one of my best times was the gondola ride. You have to book ahead, and as my husband's luck would have it, they were full except they just had a cancellation. So we went out at 5 in the late December dusk. We saw some beautiful birds and then we saw Lake Merritt's and surrounding beautiful lights. We learned the history of lake, and we got to hear some beautiful Italian songs. So if you want to feel like you are in Europe, but you have only one night, this is the way to go. http://www.gondolaservizio.com/lakeMerritt.htm

Lake Merritt is also near some excellent restaurants, and it's near Grand Avenue and Piedmont with more excellent restaurants! The Lake Chalet is hit or miss, but it's a fun place to eat.

Oakland is my favorite city in the Bay Area right now, and Lake Merritt and its surroundings has a lot to to do with my love for the place. I could have titled this review, "this place has gone to the birds", because there are so many birds here.

I don't live in Oakland, nor do I have any affiliation to the Gondola Service.

Visited December 2012
2 Thank mskih
Oakland
46 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 42 helpful votes
“So Much To Offer”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 8, 2013

Oakland's crown jewel, Lake Merritt has so much to offer, on the lake, around the lake and near the lake. Don't miss walking all or part of the lake. Children's Fairyland which I've been going to since I was a toddler, many years ago, is perfectly sized for those under 10 and adults who want to share a fun time with that age group. There are wonderful restaurants of every flavor surrounding the lake. You can take a gondola ride, or rent a sail or paddle boat. You can feed the ducks, or take a peak at the mini science museum. There are historical buildings to tour on and near the lake. Don't miss the Oakland Museum, the Classic Grand Lake Theater, the art deco court house, the Cameron Stanford House, and the Louis Comfort Tiffany stained glass Mosaics at the Lake Merritt United Methodist Church (lakemerrittumc.org) - an insiders tip!

Visited January 2013
New York City, New York
94 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 65 helpful votes
“Nice area”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 29, 2012 via mobile

Haven't walked around the lake, just a portion of it so there aren't a lot of sights to take in. Good restaurants, but it is a walk from the Bart station. There are colorful people, but you can see a definite change in Oakland.