“The crepes were rubbery”
Review of Crepevine

Crepevine
Ranked #90 of 1,329 Restaurants in Oakland
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
Reviewed February 18, 2012

We had lunch here and I can say this was a thoroughly average meal. We had brunch-type crepes and I will say that the filling was quite tasty. Mine had eggs, green onions, chicken maple sausage and cheese. But, the crepe itself was rubbery and came out half warm. It came with potatoes (very good) and fresh salad. 2 lunches and 2 iced teas came to $30. Not terribly cheap for average food.

Reviewed September 19, 2011

We went to Berkeley to have lunch at a different non-chain restaurant that ended up being closed for vacation. After having our hopes up for something special, we gave up and went to this chain. From the minute they took our order, we knew this was no ordinary chain. The older man at the register was quick to make suggestions for me when I couldn't decide. After we found a table, we were surprised at the attentiveness of the wait staff. Our food came out quickly and was delicious. At one point the same older man came by to be sure we were enjoying our meal. Honestly, it felt like we were dining in a local Greek restaurant and not a chain. My only complaint was that the restaurant was noisy but I'll trade quiet for great food and great service! Such a pleasant surprise!

Reviewed June 3, 2011

I stopped by Crepevine in May and was pleasantly surprised by the quality of the breakfast. I had the Swedish oatmeal pancakes with a hamsteak on the side. My mental image was of classic "swedish pancakes" of the small, silverdollar variety. What I got was a large stack of great high fibre pancakes that were really delicious. The ham was also very good quality. Often you get a very watery slice that resembles lunch meat more than ham, but this was very good. Service was very friendly and prompt, despite the mounting crowd. I ate inside because it was chilly, but the terrace section looked very inviting. I'll definitely try to go back the next time I'm in town.

Reviewed April 11, 2011

The menu here has a lot of variety among the crepes, egg dishes and salads on offer. It's not a table service restaurant, it's an order-in cafe. I live nearby, and this is a reliably good spot to have a hearty breakfast (really large portions!) and sit outside when you can. Unlime the other negative review, I've seen the staff maintain consistent patience and courtesy seen on a slow day in dealing with what can be high-volume chaotic, weekend crowds. They serve the line quickly and get the stuff out of the kitchen fast, sometimes weaving through traffic jams of baby strollers inside the room.
My favorite is the Petaluma scramble, with cheese and chicken apple sausage. Another interesting item: their combination of carrot juice and lemonade, a tropic cooler, comes with free refills too.

Reviewed December 23, 2010

The customer service here is nonexistent. The manager was so vile and rude that he just argues back at customers when he provides bad customer service. Would never go there again!