“Cheap but OK Value” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #34 of 48 Hotels in Oakland
Reno, Nevada
“Cheap but OK Value”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013

Considering the area this was a good value. Neighborhood not great but well lit free parking lot. Room was clean enough but was missing basic things like towel racks. No hand towels or floor mat/towel. Towels said Holiday inn and cups said Ramada :-). Definitely budget but cheap & clean enough. Staff was strange but OK (you would be too if you lived in that part of town :-).

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank JRBLE

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Dublin, Ireland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

I spent two nights at the Bay Bridge Inn in Oakland. I chose this location because I didn't want to have to deal with driving and parking in SF. The hotel is about two blocks from the MacArthur BART station, as well as being a less than one mile straight shot off the I-580, so easy to get in and out of.
Before booking, I called to clarify the cancellation policy (listed as "24 hours in advance", but I wasn't sure if it was in advance of check-in availability, 6 pm, midnight or what). A pleasant man on the phone said by around noon the day before would be great. When I arrived, a woman at the counter said she found my reservation for a king room for one night. I told her it was two nights and showed her my confirmation. She had to make a couple phone calls and some changes in the book, but soon had me in my room. At first I noticed a faint mildewy smell, but as soon as I turned the A/C on it was no longer detectable. The bed was comfortable and the room was clean and quiet.
Since we were enjoying our time in SF, we weren't in the room much except for sleeping, and this room was fine for that! When checking out, I asked at the front desk if it would be ok to leave my car in their lot until mid-afternoon (I said 3, it was around 3:30 before I came to get it) or if I needed to move it to the BART parking lot; I was told it wouldn't be a problem, and just to tell someone when I left so they would know.

Room Tip: I had a king-sized bed on the ground floor (never my first choice) near reception and couldn't h...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank livingineurope
Oakland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

HORRIBLE CUSTOMER SERVICE DO NOT WASTE YOUR TIME OR MONEY!!!!!OMG,let me start off by saying you get what you pay for...Very horrible customer service,rude,the older guy talks to you like a child,very stingy with towel service and room service. I had to get my key activated twice a day in which I had to stay a week. I would never go to this place again. I was shocked in how he treated me. Im a customer as well as a customer service representative and I would never treat my customers the way he did. Im sooooo surprised that he's still in business!!

Room Tip: Good Customer Service is a must!!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
4 Thank Lakisha H
Oakland, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2011

After reserving online, the front desk was unable to find the reservation. After asking him to check, he was agitated and said "this is the third time I am telling you." The genteman that made the reservation was on the phone, and the front desk person slammed the phone on him and said "go somewhere else." We were unable to check in and could not cancel the reservation either. STAY AWAY!!! THIS IS A SHYSTER HOTEL!!!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
8 Thank fidel e
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2011

This motel was the worst place I have ever stayed in. Not only did a complaining prostitute interrupt our check-in, the room was freezing cold and there were hairs on the beds. It was so dirty, that we kept our clothes in while we slept. We had problems opening the door and the neighborhood felt very unsafe. I cannot recommend this Place at all. Don't give a damn for this motel and stay in SF

• Stayed September 2011
7 Thank cribadvisor
Oakland, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2011

This is been my hotel of choice in the Oakland area for the past 3 years. The hotel is close to multiple modes of public transportation (BART and several bus routes). The hotel staff is professional and friendly, keeping the hotel clean and safe. Rooms are comfortable, have cable TV, and both wired and wireless high-speed Internet. I highly recommend the hotel.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank bksaunders
Manchester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2011

We chose to stay in Oakland as part of our second leg touring around various places on the west coast (USA). We found that as we had a car and because the San Francisco acommodation seemed very overpriced, that Oakland was a happy compromise.

THE MOTEL AND LOCATION:
Basic but OK and has free Wifi. The service was fine and fairly efficient. The motel is off a main road and not too far from downtown Oakland, which has a large Chinese community-and great Chinese food as a result! It felt reasonably safe and the area was fairly quiet. In order to get into San Francisco, you have to cross the Oakland bridge. As long as you don't go in mid rush hour, this only takes 20 minutes or so from the motel.

THE ROOM:
Very large but sparsely furnished. We were also on the top floor and had to access the room via some fire escape type stairs. This wasn't really an issue for us as we only stayed for a couple of days.
We found the room to be very clean, if not a little dated. However, having just travelled up from LA, the room was cold and poorly heated. It felt and smelled a little damp.

Overall, manageable for a cheap base in order to see San Francisco.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
4 Thank NWtraveller83
Also consider these accommodations in or near Oakland
Imperial Inn
#10 of 48 in Oakland
4.5 of 5 stars 41 reviews
Courtyard Oakland Emeryville
Four Points by Sheraton San Francisco Bay Bridge

Been to Bay Bridge Inn? Share your experiences!