“Great food, neighborhood gem”
Review of Montclair Bistro - CLOSED

Montclair Bistro
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Moraga
Transit: yes-bus
Reviewed July 4, 2012

I reserved a table at the Montclair Bistro for a dinner with high-school friends I had not seen in a long time. It turned out to be the perfect spot for a quiet get-together: the food was outstanding, and the unobtrusive and friendly staff allowed us to chat and get caught up with each other in a very pleasant dining room.

Food: We shared several small plates instead of ordering main courses. Every dish was delicious: duck quesadillas, lobster cake, roasted brussel sprout salad, and a very generous Mediterranean plate. We thought we'd need to order more, but these are rich, filling dishes, and we were very satisfied. The flavors were intense, and every combination was spot on. For dessert we shared the bread pudding and the tiramisu--yum!

Our waiter was really pleasant--just the right amount of interaction. They were out of the bottle we requested, and he found us a perfect substitute from the same region.

The dining room is lovely. I only wish the outdoor patio were as nice. It's OK, but a bit cramped and too close to Hwy. 13. It's probably better to sit at the bar for that pre-dinner cocktail.

Reviewed March 18, 2012

Went with friends for Sunday brunch and each of the four of us had something different. Everyone was very happy with their choice and we all agreed that we would be going back for lunch or dinner. This is a gem.

Reviewed February 26, 2012

Three of us settled in for a special night out. I had the chive crusted stripe bass and my friends had the blackened salmon and the salad Kathleen. All were presented beautifully and enjoyed tremendously. Our starter was a threesome of seafood treats and my friends had the Caesar salads. The pinot noir we had from Willamette Valley was velvety and worked well with the tastes of the meal.

Service was friendly and good humored and the pace of the meal was perfect.

Reviewed January 1, 2012

Visited restaurant for a last dinner with family -- glad to find something open on New Year's Day. Menu varied although a little light on vegetarian selections. Everyone in the party was happy with their choices -- especially my husband with the blackened salmon and my son with the roast beef special. Service was very attentive; even the chef stopped by for a visit. Restaurant lighting was very dim. I do like to be able to see my meal.

Especially liked that one could chose variable sizes for menu selections. Great idea.

Reviewed December 29, 2011

this is a restaraunt with great food and service but
the atmosphere is good for a business meeting or if you want to talk with friends....