“Wonderful but thin walls!”

Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Oakland Airport
Ranked #7 of 49 Hotels in Oakland
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed January 20, 2011

I checked in Nov. 26, 2010 for a 1 night stay. The Hotel is very modern and new! I had a easy check in. They gave me a goodie bag for being a member which was nice and unexpected. I get to my room and it was very nice which was a king bed standard room. (looked just like the picture). I was dissappointed because there was no tub only a shower and after my fight I would of loved to soak in a tub. Also I had called the front desk because the tv in my room was not working and no one ever showed up but after fumbling around with the remote the tv did come on. I think the batteries were just somewhat dead. Also the room walls were so thin...I was having a conversation on the phone sitting in the louge chair and the people in the next room started banging on the wall. I ended up moving into the bathroom to continue my conversation. I know I was not loud. So beware of thin walls! I would'nt advise doing anything too loud here! Upon check out I advised the staff of what happend and for them to check the batteries due to no service being rendered the night before. I was told that I would be issued a free 1 night stay. I still have not received it by mail but "oh well". The stay was nice for the most part!

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple

Reviewed November 19, 2010

I stayed for a trip where I had meetings in San Francisco and downtown Oakland and an early OAK flight. Pros: Check in was painless and quick. The room decor was awesome (modern, comfy, functional, and expensive looking for the price). The bed was really delicious. There is room service for breakfast lunch and dinner. The food was better than expected. The restaurant was more of a sports bar an not really a place to hang out. The housekeeping is really great, better than far more expensive hotels I've stayed at. And it's very close to the airport, only the hilton is closer I think.

However, as a base for trips for SF and Oakland it is was far from ideal. If I had to choose again, I'd probably stay closer to downtown Oakland, b/c for an early flight the traffic is negligible. In comparison, the freeway between the hotel and the bay bridge (towards SF) and Oakland was clogged during the morning and the freeway (80) from San Fran was terrible at night. It took me 1.5 hours to get from south of market to my hotel at 6pm. At 9pm it took 45 minutes. Driving into downtown oakland in the morning took twice as long as my google directions b/c of traffic. Once you get off 880 it's fine but the freeway is terrible. If I was in the bay area for fun there's no way I'd stay at this hotel, despite it's good ratings.

The other issue I had with the hotel was the thin walls and ceilings. I could hear the blaring alarm clocks from the rooms next to and above me, the tv, and people in the hallway. The door was so thin that people putting the keys in the door sounded like they were in the same room with me.

This would be a great hotel for the last night of a romantic trip. It's a pleasant non-sterile feeling hotel that I would stay at w/ my partner.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank piegirl
Reviewed November 5, 2010

The hotel has a convenient central location close to the Oakland International Airport, You can go easily to the Oakland business centers, family attractions, historic monuments, parks museums, cultural events, golf, shopping, dining and entertainment. Service is good at the hotel. I like their beds as you can adjust the firmness of the mattress that you seldom find in other hotels. Most of the hotels have very soft mattress that hurt my back. I would recommend this hotel to my friends and relatives.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank cooker888
Reviewed October 14, 2010

My family and I stayed one night at this hotel and had an absolutely horrible experience. First, they chose to power-wash their roof gutters at 1:00 a.m. and the noise was so bad we had to change rooms. Then the fire alarms went off, no doubt caused by the power washing, and the hotel did not tell the guests if there was a real emergency or not and the front desk didn't answer our phone calls. When we went downstairs, we were told that it was a false alarm and wouldn't happen again -- but the alarms went off again and again. We received no apologies, no discount on our bill, nothing. The front desk acted as though nothing untorward had happened when we went to check out. Never again will we stay at this hotel, and you shouldn't either.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
2  Thank GaryZipkin
Reviewed August 7, 2010

Very nicely decorated hotel. Clean and great price. Close to Oakland Airport. No problem. It is a beautiful Holiday Inn.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed June 28, 2010

I got the hotel on hotwire for about $50 (I dont remember the exact number.) From the moment I arrived, I knew that this hotel deserved more than 3 stars. Everything from the spacious rooms to the nice bathroom was amazing. The room had 2 Kings! As opposed to the usual two double beds. The flatscreen TV was a plus. And the pool was downstairs but during my two day trip I never got to use it. The hotel has free wifi but at the time my laptop wasn't working so I can't tell on internet quality. The parking is free so that's nice.

I was there to visit San Francisco but after seeing the noise of SF I was glad i got a hotel in oakland. Also on busy holiday's (I came on the 4th of July), there is SO much traffic going back from San Fran to Oakland. I took me 3 hours. That's my only complaint.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank zaneforce007
Reviewed April 20, 2010

Arrived at Oakland airport about 10 pm on a Friday night. Called the hotel to send a shuttle to pick me up at airport. Took about 20 minutes (only complaint) but maybe driver had to wait for the other travelers so he didn't have to make two or three separate trips back to the airport. Check-in was fast under 5 minutes. Got a good deal on the Holiday Inn website for a comfortable and clean room so the value was there. Had a turkey sandwich and fish and chips in the sports bar next to the lobby. Okay price for an average meal late at night. Next morning the hotel shuttle took me to the BART station for my journey into San Francisco. It does what I expect a good airport hotel to do, provide a comfortable overnight stay. I would stay here again as my first option the next time I am flying into Oakland International. Airport.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled with family