“Very good except very risky” 2 of 5 stars

Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Oakland Airport
Ranked #7 of 49 Hotels in Oakland
GreenLeadersBronze level
Los Angeles, California, USA
“Very good except very risky”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

My experience was like having a wonderful date with a man who towards the end of the date smacked me in the face.

I stayed for a week doing business near the hotel; however on the last day of my stay the front desk checked a guest into my room before I had checked out.

Obviously, that could have been a disaster if I was taking a shower, getting dressed, etc. I shutter to think how this horrible lapse of guest security could have truly hurt or killed me.

Even more alarming than my enduring that horrible mistake on the part of the check in staff, was my conversation with "Todd", the hotel general manager. I described what happened to Todd and he was very dismissive saying, "we advise our guests to double lock themselves into their room".

What?! So, in other words, his staff was responsible for putting me at risk but I will stll be safe if i double lock myself in my room?

I want to hear from someone who uses judgement and ensures practices are followed that keep women and all guests safe. This was as if I went on a date with a man that was very pleasant until, at the end of that date, he smacked in the face and in response to my telling his Dad that was not appropriate, the Dad said, "my wife and I always advise his dates to wear a face mask in case he slaps you".

More detail:

This hotel is near the airport and the hotel restaurant makes is convenient for breakfast. "Maria", who works in that restaurant is very pleasant and gets whatever I need quickly and correctly, she's excellent. The room beds are very comfortable. The housekeeper cleaned the room very well and was very friendly too. There was no noise or other disturbances at night, or the day either.

The risky incident described above is clearly important for guest safety and protection of property. More about this incident: I asked for late check out since I was not sure my work would be completed by noon check out. The hotel attendant confirmed I can check out at 1:00pm, which would, I expected, give me enough time to freshen up after work then leave for the airport. However, when I returned about 11:30 to my room, my key did not work so I went to the front desk to ask why. To my surprise, the hotel had checked me out at 10:00am and there was someone else already in my room.

I can only imagine if I was taking a shower at 10:30 and someone walked into the room and checked who was in the shower or the bathroom. Todd, the General Manager's comment, that bascially told me, if something happened to me it would have been my fault if I didn't double lock my door.

I will return in 2013 for more work in Oakland & San Francisco area.

I seriously doubt I will stay at a hotel whose General Manager shows such disregard for guest safety.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 stars
3 Thank 4travelw
tbuckl4, General Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Oakland Airport, responded to this review, December 11, 2012
Dear Ms 4travelw,

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your recent stay at our Hotel. As the General Manager of the Holiday Inn Oakland Airport, please accept my sincerest apologies for all the inconvenience you had experienced during your stay here. I also want to thank you so much for bringing these concerns to our attention. I completely understand and sincerely empathize with you. Believe me, the security of our guests is our highest priority. Whenever a business relies so greatly on many individuals to perform at high levels, there are bound to be rare occasions when these levels are unfortunately missed. I mention this not as an excuse, but rather in the hope that you will consider that your experience was the exception, not the rule. Service is our business and there is no room on our staff for anyone who has no genuine concern to our valued guests. Thank you for the kind comments about Maria and our Housekeeping staff, they are to be commended for there efforts. I have reviewed your comments with my team and assure you we will react differently to this situation in the future.

Regards
Tom Buckley/GM

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Trail, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

For some reason this Holiday Inn was way cheaper than the other one in the area so we stayed here and had no complaints. Restaurant (Diamonds) inside was also really good! Clean rooms, helpful staff and within walking distance to car rental spot but I think it's a free shuttle to close by locations including airport. Free wifi. Aviation museum nearby too if your into that.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank William F
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

This hotel is newer and provides plenty of free parking. The staff was friendly and very helpful at check in and during my stay. Huge oversize rooms with compfy beds. Internet works great and free for all devices. The location is not the best but if you are close to the Oakland Airport.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Quebec, Quebec, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

For an EXFO business event, service was impeccable and everyone (60 people) who participated said the food was excellent. They made sure all was set up before we had to ask and someone was always available to help. There was a small technical issue, but it got fixed in no time ans the general Manager even came himself to make sure we were OK. I would have another event there for sure.

• Stayed November 2012
1 Thank Marie-Anne G
Greensboro, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

Great location nearby Oakland airport. Very clean, modern hotel accommodations, which offer a nice pool, bar and restaurant. I was surprised as I don't stay at Holiday Inns, this one seemed to be very accommodating and the best option for accomdations nearby the Oakland Airport.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Flyby0161
Lehi, Utah
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

I have stayed here before, at least a few times, and have had a pretty good experience overall. One reason I stay there, is because the restaurant is pretty good, and don't have to drive around to find one. But this time, I was a little disappointed in the slow restaurant service and total ticket for what I was given to eat. Knowing that I was paying with a company cc, I didn't think to ask how much the slice of lemon pie was after I finished my meal. I asked for one slice, which was very good, but then the ticket came, I was charged $7.99 for just one slice. Ouch! I could nearly buy a whole pie for that much. I complained to the main desk, so hopefully they will look into it. Don't get the pie unless they tell you how much it is. I was also in a hurry to leave in the a.m., and chose the breakfast bar, which I didn't feel was worth $10.00/person, so I stick with the omelet next time!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank MoosyR
Sebastopol, Ca
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

This hotel is great if you are flying out of Oakland. It is just about 5 minutes from the airport. Pick ups are on demand, so when you call, they come to pick you up. The rooms are great, roomy and quiet. Beds are comfortable too. Restaurant downstairs is easy for a breakfast before leaving on a morning flight. For $30 more, we can leave our car for a week in a safe environment. 10 minutes after being picked up, you are back at your car and leaving the parking lot for home. We stay here whenever we leave from Oakland.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends