“Pleasantly Surprised” 4 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersBronze level
Menifee, California
“Pleasantly Surprised”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

This hotel was booked as part of a group northern california tour. I have not stayed in a Holiday Inn for quite awhile. To my surprise I was pleasantly surprised. We arrived about 8pm. The hotel and grounds were very well kept. The staff was exceptionally accommodating and courteous. The room was clean, fresh and comfortable. The breakfast buffet had a great assortment of coffee, tea, muffins, and real breakfast food, i.e. sausage, eggs, etc.

If I would have booked the hotel for the tour I would have probably overlooked this hotel based on the fact that sometimes hotels close to airports are hit or miss. However, if travelling back to the San Francisco/Oakland area I WOULD stay again. For those doing college visits the location of the hotel proximity of the hotel was very good. We hit Pier 39 that evening and headed out to Berkeley and Stanford the next morning.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Salt Lake City, Utah
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012

When we arrived we called for the shuttle to pick us up, they said it would arrive in 5 minutes. We called 3 times after that. The shuttle showed up 55 minutes after we first called. It was the last shuttle to arrive out of all of the hotels. The hotel is 1 minute away. They had no excuse. They just said sorry. The shuttle could have been around 10 to 20 times by the time they picked us up. We stay at an airport hotel, so we can get in and out quick. It took 1 hour to pick us up. Don't stay at this hotel. It is more expensive than the ones around and the worst service ever. We asked for a room that wasn't by the elevator. Guess what? They gave us a room by the elevator. I stay in a million hotels. I have never had this bad of service in my life!!!!! This is my first review I have written. STAY AWAY!!!!!! They don't give a crap what you think either!!!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank 1Vacationqueen
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Oakland Airport, responded to this review, October 17, 2012
Dear 1Vacationqueen,

Thank you for taking the time to express your thoughts and concerns. I am glad that you found our location suitable enough for your needs. I apologize for the inconvenience you experienced regarding our airport shuttle service. I wish to thank you for bringing this matter into our attention as your comments as have been documented and will be forwarded to the appropriate departments for review.

We take the confidence our guests place in us very seriously and work diligently to rectify any unsatisfactory experiences. Thank you again for your feedback.

Pam G.
Case Manager
IHGCare
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

What do you expect? That's what you get... Close to the airport, far from anything else. I used this location to attend convention in San Francisco when all rooms were sold out in SFO. took about 40 minutes to cross the Bay Bridge into the city from here.

The rooms were:
Clean
Comfortable
Holiday Inn...

Slow Internet and WiFi speeds.
Parking limited.

Room Tip: It's a Holiday Inn... Fits the corporate standard.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Fairfax, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

My best friend and I stayed here the night before her flight. We wanted to visit San Francisco and weren't sure the best way to do it from Oakland. The staff were very helpful in explaining the BART system to us and dropping us off and picking us up from the BART station. The staff, and in particular this one guy (though I can't remember his name) offered us many tips for seeing as much of San Francisco as possible in our limited 8 hours. Our beds were comfortable and the rooms were very quiet.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Elk Grove, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

I have stayed at this hotel several times over the last few years and each time it has been wonderful, the staff is always helpful and willing to go out of the way to make your stay great.
it is the perfect place to stay if you are a oakland sports fan. they will take you to and pick you up from your game. the resturant and bar are also very good.if you are in Oakland for any reason this is a wonderful place to stay.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
San Francisco
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2012

Spent one night here prior to a morning flight and was very pleased.
This Holiday Inn is only 4 years old and our room was smartly decorated and comfortable.

We had dinner here and the restaurant stays open late (10:30--maybe later), so convenient for late check-in. Food at the restaurant was surprisingly good and very reasonably priced. I had an excellent salmon dinner that was as good or better than served in many well-regarded San Francisco restaurants. Restaurant service is friendly and very efficient--the nice women who waited on us for both dinner and breakfast the following morning were very fast, efficient, and friendly.

There's free use of a computer in the small "business center," and free in-room WiFi as well.

Shuttle service was very good, too. I called from the Coliseum BART station and the Holiday Inn van picked me up in less than 10 minutes (no need to use the AirBart shuttle to OAK). Van service to OAK was quick the next morning, too.

If I had to take an early flight from OAK I'd definitely stay at this Holiday Inn again, and the restaurant is good enough to be a destination restaurant for locals who want good food and service at favorable prices.

Room Tip: Be sure to order your room to include the breakfast which for 2 of us was a $20 per room credit for...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank iQuack
New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012

After staying here for two nights for a work event, I am completely perplexed by all of the positive reviews--both here and on Yelp. I trusted those to book my room here, but feel completely misled.

This hotel is basically in the middle of nowhere. The only thing close by (besides the airport) is a massive Harley Davidson store. Which seems to attract a huge amount of men on motorcycles. There were literally 100 of them zipping back and forth outside the hotel all day on Saturday and Sunday. I don't think there was any sort of special event, just another day of riding around from what I could tell. With that many motorcycles, it was incredibly noisy--even with my window closed it was annoying. And, with the weather in Oakland it would have been nice to sleep with the window open. Whenever they would stop driving by and popping wheelies, they seemed to like to hang out in the hotel restaurant. And late at night they were out in the parking lot, doing...I don't know what.

I think there are other parts of Oakland, like Jack London Square and Rockridge, that are far nicer and with better dining options. I had to walk almost a mile just to get a sandwich from Quiznos while staying at this hotel. Which is fine, but there are so many better options around town.

In addition, the hotel advertises a shuttle to the BART station. I tried that once while I was staying there, and ended up waiting for 40 minutes (seriously) for someone to pick me up. And once the guy did, he was incredibly rude. The manager did give me a discount off my room rate to try to make up for it, but it was just an overall odd and disappointing experience.

Oh, and the wifi is very, very slow. I had to use my mobile wifi device the entire time.

The best thing about this hotel is the cleaning staff. They seem to do a great job and were very nice whenever I interacted with them.

Either way, I won't be staying here next time I'm in town for business. I highly recommend checking out other options--even if you need to stay in this area for some reason, try the Marriott instead. At least then you'll have food options across the street. The restaurant in this hotel was definitely subpar.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank L8NYC
IHGCare, IHGCare at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Oakland Airport, responded to this review, September 15, 2012
Dear L8NYC,

Thank you for taking the time to write us a review. I am pleased that you had a good experience with our hotel cleaning staff. Please accept my sincerest apology for any inconvenience the noise levels and Internet connection caused. We take all reviews positive and negative very seriously, and your feedback will help us improve for our next guest or your next visit.

Pam G.
Case Manager
IHGCare
Also consider these accommodations in or near Oakland
BEST WESTERN PLUS Airport Inn & Suites
Courtyard Oakland Airport
#12 of 48 in Oakland
3.5 of 5 stars 230 reviews
Executive Inn and Suites

Been to Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Oakland Airport? Share your experiences!