“Could be better” 3 of 5 bubbles

Dining options: Dinner, Seating
Oakland, CA
“Could be better”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 3, 2012

I ate for the first time at Spices III in Oakland's Chinatown. Looking very much like a hole-in-the-wall on the outside, it also looked like a hole-ini-the-wall on the inside. The restaurant was moderately filled for a Sunday night. Service was slow. The food uneven: my son ordered a garlic chicken dish, that both looked tasty and was tasty. I ordered a special -- crispy duck -- which came with nothing. It was bland, bony and unsatisfying. I was served half-a-duck, but the skin was not particularly crispy and the flavor undistinguished. I am not inclined to return, with so many other either untried or good Chinese restaurants in the East Bay.

• Visited June 2012
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

San Diego, California
“Great place - basic, good quality, reasonable price”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 13, 2012

Was in Oakland for the weekend, ducked in for lunch on a quiet Saturday afternoon. Bet the place is packed during the week.

Service was great, but place was empt, so can't really say.

I had the pan-fried noodles for $9.95, I think reasonable to downtown location. Lots of chicken, beef, shrimp and piping hot! Got a bowl of steamed rice because the dish had so much great gravy. Yumm, getting hungry writing review.

• Visited May 2012
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
San Francisco
“Very Mixed - Needs Attention”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 13, 2011

Heard a bit of hype about how great this place was and I was excited to try it. Some reviews had said it was super spicy which we love, while others said it was only moderately spicy and you had to ask for it "murder style." First, the menu is too long to do everything well so we were suspicious once we took a look. Even accounting for the repetitive sauces on different proteins, the menu is too long. We tried 3 dishes - the calamari appetizer, sauteed pork noodles, and the szechuan beef noodle soup. The calamari was great - crispy and spicy with different chilis adding some nice flavors. The pork noodles were good, with a nice texture (chewy), although they were pretty oily and not particularly spicy but still good. The soup though was INEDIBLE, the beef was literally so tough with gristle we couldn't eat it at all - we couldn't even chew off the meat and leave the tough bits. But, worse than that was that the soup itself was so over flavored, it tasted as if we were eating raw spices. Not sure all that was in there but it tasted like szechuan pepper and star anise in such proportion that it was truly inedible. It wasn't spicy hot inedible, it was so grossly overflavored that I could barely swallow it. I love spice and hot chilis (even habanero's) so I'm no sissy about flavor or spice but this just might have been one of the worse things I've ever tried to eat. We left an entire bowl. My message to the restaurant is: Shorten the Menu and focus on those dishes you do well. Start tasting your own food. With a little work, this could be a great neighborhood place.

• Visited September 2011
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“Coming back from living...”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 25, 2008

Coming back from living in Hunan, I've been on a tireless search and now I've found the perfect place! I'm so excited! Everything we ordered was yummy and made me think of Hunan!

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“Only if you can handle extreme spiciness - reminded me the kind of food you can get in Beijing - nice hot pots - still...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 18, 2008

Only if you can handle extreme spiciness - reminded me the kind of food you can get in Beijing - nice hot pots - still have to try their Stinky Tofu dishes...

1 Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook

Been to Spices! III Szechuan Trenz? Share your experiences!