“Disappointed”
Review of Sierra Sky Ranch

Sierra Sky Ranch
Ranked #5 of 10 Oakhurst B&B and Inns
Reviewed April 25, 2014

We were there early in the season but the place was unkempt. The registration area smelled of cat urine. But the most disappointing was the size of the room. When I rolled out of bed I was in the bathroom. It had a very musty smell, and all the furnishings were old and worn and smelly.no remote for tv, no hairdryer in room
The 2nd morning when we woke
It was 57 degrees in room. Thermostat must not work.the staff was very friendly,however this place needs a big influx of cash. It has great potential.

• Stayed: April 2014
1  Thank moneil5844
There are newer reviews for Sierra Sky Ranch

Reviewed April 7, 2014

I have been going to the Sierra Sky Ranch for over 10 years, taking my students there twice a year for their overnight field trip. I have never been disappointed, from the staff, food or accommodations. I think most people forget this is a 150 yr old former ranch, hospital, Army R&R, dude ranch, private residence and resort, renovated to keep things current yet not too modern as to destroy the historical significance of the place. It is not the Hilton. I've been to many hotels, from inexpensive to luxurious and they all have their problems, poor food and service, rude staff and yes, even bed bugs. All hotels have them at one time or another. What is more important is how the staff deals with these problems and I will say the SSR staff are always polite, helpful and accommodating to assist their guests in whatever they request. As for the food, I have never been disappointed or had something returned whatever I ordered. One simply needs to ask what sides are included to know what to expect. But I know, if I had to return a meal because it wasn't what I thought it should be, I would still be treated with courtesy and respect. So to 'Arrested State of Decay", I say again, it's 150 yrs old and not the Hilton and I'm sorry you had such a horrible experience with the resort and probably will never go again. That's good news for me, I will have a better chance of getting a room when I visit in the near future and I get the best sleep ever.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 24, 2014

Like the ghost town of Bodie, CA, this place is in a state of arrested decay. Weeds abound as well as dust bunnies, bed bugs in one room (discovered 22 Mar 2014), and many things that don't work. Visiting the ranch for a paranormal investigation, we had hoped to have copious amounts of coffee to sustain us during our stay. No such luck. Retiring in the not-so-early hours of Sunday, 23 Mar 2014, I turned on my room's thermostat. Lots of noise, no heat, and a brisk 59 degrees greeted me when I got up at 8:40 later that morning. Bed linens were distressed, with my two pillowcases being turned inside out. I checked for more bed bugs, didn't find any, but did sleep fully dressed under the covers.

We ate at the Branding Iron for dinner. What was described as "porkloin with peach brandy sauce" was in actuality anemic pork chops. Ugh. No thanks. We were offered sides of beans or vegetables, and choices between rice and spuds but we weren't offered anything else except some delicious bread. No dinner salad, no corn bread, none of the other offerings described in the restaurant's menu.

This place creeps me out and I don't mean the spirits.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
2  Thank Stephanie Morri... G
Reviewed March 11, 2014

We have arrived the hotel quite late at over 9pm after I came out of the Yosemite Valley; and the guy was just waiting for us to check in, quite patient and nice. Room looks good and furniture is really American style. We enjoyed the breakfast and had a nice chat with the waitress.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 17, 2014

We went for an overnight stay only to find out when we arrived that our King Suite (reserved weeks ahead) had a pipe bust earlier in the week. They said they tried to clean it but it wasn't dry. (Hello? Rug Doctor anyone?) We pointed out the fact that they should have called and he said he agreed but couldn't give us a reason why he didn't. We drove all that way to find this out. Then the guy at the desk said he had another room for us and tried to give us a tiny queen WITHOUT any discount in the price! Same as if we had reserved that. No compensation at all! When he took us there we discovered it's next to a sitting room where we might have to put up with people all night long. Not to mention the overwhelming smell of cat spray through out the whole place. I have pets and my house does not smell that way. Then we were told they wouldn't get us into the restaurant that night either. The manager always looked at the ground and never met our eyes. 20 minutes passed and he never looked up. He was looking at the ground, not at anything. Really creepy. Then the coffe pot we requested for the room was filthy! We called and changed to the Pines at Bass lake. Wonderful stay at THAT place. This place must have good reviews from people who work there and not actual patrons. So glad we didn't stay! Yuck!

Room Tip: Go to another place.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Tanya G
Reviewed November 4, 2013

Booked hotel whilst visiting Yosemite. Really quirky hotel, loads of character. Staff very friendly and food in restaurant is really good.

Room was very cute and clean.

Ranch is reported haunted and can feel very eerie. Not sure if I experienced something or that I was so conscience of it being haunted I dreamt it.........

Great location to reach Yosemite.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Jo005
Reviewed October 31, 2013

Whilst visiting Yosemite National Park, my wife and I wanted to stay somewhere a bit different to the hotels and motels we were staying in throughout the rest of our trip. With this in mid, the Sierra Sky Ranch was the perfect place for us to stay.

The Ranch has history and real atmosphere. Our room was very warm and cosy with real rustic charm.

Breakfast is included in the room rate, which was extremely welcome. The choice of pancakes or a cooked breakfast was perfect.

On our 2nd night in the ranch, we just relaxed in one of the sitting rooms with a glass of wine ($6 for the biggest glass of red ever!) and chilled out with the cats that live at the ranch.

All in all a really lovely stay.

Why just 4 stars? On arriving at the Ranch, we got a little bit lost, as although there is a big sign on the main road, there is nothing visible in the dark when you drive past. This left us feeling a bit lost and confused. Also, the Ranch feels like it would just benefit from a little bit of TLC, but was a lovely place to stay.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Owen S
Also consider these accommodations in or near Oakhurst
Best Western Plus Yosemite Gateway Inn
Yosemite View Lodge
Yosemite View Lodge
#1 of 2 in El Portal
Tenaya Lodge at Yosemite

Been to Sierra Sky Ranch? Share your experiences!