Sierra Sky Ranch
$125
ComfortInn
Best Western Plus Yosemite Gateway Inn(Oakhurst)(Great Value!)
$181
$146
BestWestern.com
$143
$129
$125
Hotels.com
Yosemite Southgate Hotel & Suites(Oakhurst)(Great Value!)
$104
$89
$119
Travelocity
$545
The Pines Resort(Bass Lake)(Great Value!)
$156
$134
No availability for your dates from our partners
All reviewsfrench doorsbranding ironmain buildinghistoric hotelghost storiesfront lawninteresting historycommon areasrustic feellounge areacontinental breakfastchoice hotelswonderful stayyogurtglass of winesan franciscobed was very comfortable
FilterAll languages
Reviewed September 7, 2011

I first stayed at the Sierra Sky Ranch with my wife while attending a wedding. I can honestly say that I wasn't expecting much when I first heard where the wedding would be held. My opinion quickly changed when we arrived. The grounds are beautiful. The buildings historic and comfortable. Having worked in the hotel industry myself I felt shamed at the places I'd worked ( 4 and 5 star luxury hotels) when compared to the Ranch. The atmosphere, the staff, the food, and the comfort just can't beat what I experienced at the Ranch.
I had expected, knowing that the place is located in a rural area, to find decon traps behind furniture and a smell of chemicals and toxins in the air. I was greeted instead by John Wayne, the extra toed resident Pest Control Specialists on site, patrolling the grounds. I knew immediately I would be comfortable there. Comfortable I was.
The restaurant, The Branding Iron Steakhouse is, simply put, amazing. The food there is spectacular. I have not eaten green beans in over 24 years. At the urging of Ted, one of the owners (and on of the nicest people in the business I've ever met, and believe you, me I've met a few), I tried them. Much to my shock, I liked them! I have ordered them with every meal I've had there in the 8 TIMES WE'VE STAYED SINCE MY SISTERS WEDDING (just in the last year and a half). But don't let that mislead you; everything, and I do mean everything on the menu is worth ordering twice, at least.
As I already mentioned, I used to work in the hotel industry and I'm familiar with how it works and what to expect on a regular basis. I can not express to you how shocked I was on our second visit a couple months later when the front desk, the restaurant staff, and Ted himself recognised me and greeted me BY NAME!
If you ever have a chance to stay at the Sierra Sky Ranch, take it! You won't be disappointed. It's very much like staying with dear friends or family. I will keep going back, no doubt you will too.

• Stayed: January 2011
Reviewed September 7, 2011

After reading some of the reviews on here I am forced to wonder why some of these people even come to the mountains. The whole point of traveling to the Sierra Mountains is to get closer to the natural environment and away from the impersonal plastic environment of the city! I'll take a little dust over the tons and tons of chemical cleaners, pesticides, fake air fresheners, fake hospitality and deceptively shiny surfaces in bigger hotels. The charm of the Sky Ranch is its history, its people, and yes indeed, its cats. For those of you who may not be familiar with a rural environment, mice, rats, insects, deer, rabbits, birds and hundreds of other species ACTUALLY EXIST IN THE WILD STILL! Since the ranch is surrounded by natural habitat, the choices are simple...accept a little overlapping, or coat the place in poisons to make it look pretty to those who only see natural wildlife on television.

That said, the ranch is over 100 years old, it is a gracious and grand old lady who welcomes guests with all the warmth and hospitality of a grandmother at welcoming family to Christmas dinner. The food is fabulous, the service exceptional, the rooms comfortable (each one is unique by the way), and the deep feeling of peace and contentment I acheive when I stay there with my family is incomparable. I've been there many times, and I'll be back many more!

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed September 5, 2011

My husband & I literally found this place by accident. We were originally booked to stay in Yosemite Valley for 3 nights, but due to an unexpected turn of events (namely a wildfire) on our day of arrival, we had to seek other places to stay. I've read several varied reviews on SSR, so I guess depending on guests' expectations, you either love it or you hate it. We loved it. Jackie was super accommodating (as was Shannon, Mike, and Phyllis) in offering us an early check in, suggested several places to eat and explore, and gave us a quick synopsis on the history of the ranch. Granted, the only clean room available at the time was small and tight, so we waited for the guests in room #7 to check out. It was cleaned by Shannon and worth the wait. The room was comfortable, the bathroom was completely renovated, the sitting areas were simple with a homey feel to them. We're cat lovers, so we were charmed by the presence of the 3 kitties we saw on the property. I have an acute sense of smell, and nowhere did I detect cat urine nor mold. If I did, i would have left. I do wish the entire ranch was non-smoking, though, as i am allergic to cigarette smoke, but fortunately, not too many guests seemed to smoke while we were there. We didn't use the pool, but we did take Mike up on his invitation to have dinner in the restaurant there and we were not disappointed. We ordered appetizers to dessert, including a bottle of wine all for less than $100 (not including tip). The service was stellar, the steaks were tasty and cooked to perfection, food was plentiful (we ate half and saved the other half for breakfast). The staff treated us like treasured guests and I was sad not to have stayed longer. The only ding I'll give it is the continental breakfast which consisted of cereal, waffles, coffee, and juice. usually I look for fresh fruit and yogurt and maybe some boiled eggs, so the previous night's meal was a blessing the next day. We enjoyed the relaxed setting of this old historical ranch, we appreciated it's proximity to the south entrance to the park (though there are other beautiful areas to hike, such as Nelder Grove and Fresno Dome), and we are not scared of paranormal activity. All in all, it was a neat place and a gem of a find, and we would recommend it to our circle of friends. Thumbs up!

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank wendylee_11
Reviewed August 20, 2011

We had two rooms. One room was smelly. The other was too small. Bathrooms were not clean and too old. Overall, poor condition for this price. They also have a lot of cats on site and the carpet smelled like cat litter.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank H L
Reviewed August 12, 2011

My husband & I took a free style getaway with no plans and ran across this place on our way to Yosemite. Lucky for us there was one room available. It was our first time there and the lady at the front was very pleasant and gave us a room and some history of the ranch. The ranch is very authentic and each room is decorated in old fashion ranch style. The grounds were well kept and I enjoyed petting the ranch cat they called Moo Kitty. They offered a nice continental breakfast with coffee, oj, fresh made waffles and a nice view of the trees and hill side. Nice and cozy for a couple who want to stay out of town and enjoy the birds and trees. One of the things I read about the ranch is that it had ghost activities, funny thing was is that during the night of our stay, I told my husband I thought I heard kids playing in the hall during the night. If they ghost at least they were having fun at the ranch because we did.

Room Tip: Sarah Room has great view of the front of ranch. King bed, spa like bath and located away from other for more privacy which we like.
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple