“Friendly greeting”

Ranked #2 of 9 Hotels in Oakhurst
Millbrae, California, USA
“Friendly greeting”
Reviewed April 16, 2013

We had stayed at this hotel approximately 10 years ago, so we were looking forward to a good experience. The front desk staff were very friendly and welcoming. The location is such a park-like, relaxing setting. The rooms are large and very comfortable. We were on the level of the indoor pool; so it was very convenient for us to use the pool. (Intentions to use all 3 nights whittled down to only once due to all the miles we walked in Yosemite!!)
The hotel is terraced on the side of a hill; so if you are unable to walk hills, ask about the location of your room. We are seniors and do have to stop and take a breather, walking up the hill or stairs.
I would say the only negative we found was the bedding seems a bit old. I am sensitive to smells and felt the bedding was slightly musty. My husband did not notice this. (he never does). I certainly did not feel it was unclean, just needs some freshening up.
We had breakfast in the restaurant twice. The food was good and the staff was very friendly.
We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (265)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Ghent
Reviewed April 16, 2013

Very nice hotel, big rooms, great breakfast, a nice restaurant, very friendly staff, flawless high speed internet. Everything you expect from a decent hotel. Close to the South Entrance but an hour to Yosemite Village.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
washington
Reviewed April 12, 2013

This hotel was actually several building scatter on a hillside along the highway. The beds were Ok and the pillows were good however the room was very dated and needs an update. It looked like the carpet may have been updated but the rest was pretty much 1970s. The room lacked much light from the outside. It has a sliding glass door but was shaded may large trees.The room included a refrigerator and microwave which was nice since breakfast was not included.The price seemed very good compared to what I could get from other hotels in the area. I paid abut $75 all inclusive for senior rate. If I came to this area again I would probably look around a little more.

Room Tip: No elevators, hilly area. If you have difficulty walking/doing stairs, make a special request upon...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank heidi84
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed April 10, 2013 via mobile

The Best Western in Oakhurst CA is a large, well appointed hotel motel with all the facilities the tourist or business traveller requires. The reception is located in an enormous hall with comfortable chairs and many curios from this historic area.
The motel has an indoor pool and an exercise room near the top of the multi-level property so if you are located in the lower rooms it is a bit of a walk.
The rooms are well furnished, air-conditioned and relatively spacious, with a table and two chairs complementing the decent sized bed. There is also a desk and ergonomic chair. An excellent free WiFi or Ethernet connection is available providing good speeds. There is a microwave, coffee maker and good sized bar refrigerator for the self caterer.
The #1200 rooms facing the highway have good views and the traffic noise does not intrude. A shared balcony has a couple of chairs for each unit in this group.
We had an inclusive package which included a limited (but adequate) breakfast in the well-appointed restaurant near the main entrance. The restaurant served all meals and is reasonably priced. There was also a lounge bar next to the dining area.
Visitors to Oakhurst are spoiled for choice as there are many places to eat varying in quality and value, together with good supermarkets and general stores.
The gate to Yosemite National Park is about an hour up Highway 41 which gives visitors ready access to the Park for day trips.

• Stayed April 2013
1 Thank Davis3144
Paducah, Kentucky
Reviewed April 9, 2013

Its very dated, so just prepare yourself and I agree it had a musty smell. However the price was pretty reasonable so I can't say I was disappointed.

I had read a ton of reviews in advance mentioning ants in the shower, so I went straight to the shower when we arrived and sure enough there were a bunch of ants in there. I got a cup and washed them down the drain. When I pulled out the shower knob, a TON of ants started coming out and it kind of freaked me out. I washed them all down the drain with my cup. We stayed two nights and I really only saw a couple of ants again after that - so not sure if the room hadnt been used in a while or what. It really didnt dampen my stay at all.

The pool is nice but bring goggles - the chemicals are very strong.

Its located about a 30-45 minute drive from Yosemite Valley.

I am a big toiletry person and their toiletries were horrible - bring your own. Beyond getting me clean, that is all I can say they did.

The room was a nice size. We were located on the first floor and it sounded like the people above us were running laps all night long. If I had to do it over, I would definitely ask to be on the second floor (but I dont think there were any elevators, so that might be quite the luggage haul).

Staff was really indifferent and I wouldnt say the service was anything to note.

The best part was the complimentary breakfast. Its at their restaurant and a server gives you a menu with preset meal options. It took about 30 minutes from the time we ordered to receive our food, but it was awesome. Some of the best food we had all week. To save time the second morning, we skipped the breakfast and got a donut at Judy's Donuts. I wish we had gone back for the complimentary breakfast. Our server was great too.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
North Bergen, New Jersey
Reviewed April 9, 2013

We had this hotel booked for our stay in April 2013 while visiting Yosemite Park. Very bad experience. When we booked the hotel we got the confirmation number for our booking. But, when we went there they were overbooked and nothing was booked on our name. The front desk person called Andrea was very rude with us. She did not wanted to help us in any way. She even refused to call the manager. We had to find the room in another hotel in the middle of the night and had to pay twice for room than we originally booked for. The hotel even refused to give any credit and help us in any way.

Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank parinas
wgputnam, General Manager at Best Western Plus Yosemite Gateway Inn, responded to this review, April 11, 2013
The guest arrived expecting a room, but unfortunatelly a clerical error had moved the date of arrival for the guest, and the hotel was full and we could not accomadate the guest. A new front desk employee did not handle the situation properly and we can only appologize for the mistake.
Ontario, Canada
Reviewed April 8, 2013

After check-in in the lobby (especially good looking), the room was at first slightly disapointing. BUT that impression didn't last: it was large, very clean, and confortable.
We met deers in the small park "inside" the property: lovely.
We stayed two nights and everything was perfect (especially the breakfast).

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank DiDArT_DA
Also consider these accommodations in or near Oakhurst
Yosemite Southgate Hotel & Suites
Tenaya Lodge at Yosemite
Yosemite View Lodge
Yosemite View Lodge
#1 of 2 in El Portal

Been to Best Western Plus Yosemite Gateway Inn? Share your experiences!