“Pretty much what I expected”

Best Western Plus Yosemite Gateway Inn
Ranked #1 of 9 Hotels in Oakhurst
Reviewed April 9, 2013

Its very dated, so just prepare yourself and I agree it had a musty smell. However the price was pretty reasonable so I can't say I was disappointed.

I had read a ton of reviews in advance mentioning ants in the shower, so I went straight to the shower when we arrived and sure enough there were a bunch of ants in there. I got a cup and washed them down the drain. When I pulled out the shower knob, a TON of ants started coming out and it kind of freaked me out. I washed them all down the drain with my cup. We stayed two nights and I really only saw a couple of ants again after that - so not sure if the room hadnt been used in a while or what. It really didnt dampen my stay at all.

The pool is nice but bring goggles - the chemicals are very strong.

Its located about a 30-45 minute drive from Yosemite Valley.

I am a big toiletry person and their toiletries were horrible - bring your own. Beyond getting me clean, that is all I can say they did.

The room was a nice size. We were located on the first floor and it sounded like the people above us were running laps all night long. If I had to do it over, I would definitely ask to be on the second floor (but I dont think there were any elevators, so that might be quite the luggage haul).

Staff was really indifferent and I wouldnt say the service was anything to note.

The best part was the complimentary breakfast. Its at their restaurant and a server gives you a menu with preset meal options. It took about 30 minutes from the time we ordered to receive our food, but it was awesome. Some of the best food we had all week. To save time the second morning, we skipped the breakfast and got a donut at Judy's Donuts. I wish we had gone back for the complimentary breakfast. Our server was great too.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (2,659)

Reviewed April 9, 2013

We had this hotel booked for our stay in April 2013 while visiting Yosemite Park. Very bad experience. When we booked the hotel we got the confirmation number for our booking. But, when we went there they were overbooked and nothing was booked on our name. The front desk person called Andrea was very rude with us. She did not wanted to help us in any way. She even refused to call the manager. We had to find the room in another hotel in the middle of the night and had to pay twice for room than we originally booked for. The hotel even refused to give any credit and help us in any way.

Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank parinas
wgputnam, General Manager at Best Western Plus Yosemite Gateway Inn, responded to this reviewResponded April 11, 2013

The guest arrived expecting a room, but unfortunatelly a clerical error had moved the date of arrival for the guest, and the hotel was full and we could not accomadate the guest. A new front desk employee did not handle the situation properly and we can only appologize for the mistake.

Reviewed April 8, 2013

After check-in in the lobby (especially good looking), the room was at first slightly disapointing. BUT that impression didn't last: it was large, very clean, and confortable.
We met deers in the small park "inside" the property: lovely.
We stayed two nights and everything was perfect (especially the breakfast).

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Joseph B
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Very interesting motel layout built into the hillside. Several buildings all climbing the hillside making it difficult to take advantage of one of the most beautiful lobby's of any Best Western anywhere. Enjoyed having the choices for breakfast at the restaurant rather than the typical fare in the motel but only 25% off.
Room was very comfortable with separate bathroom from the bedroom, large flat screen TV, and 2 wingback chairs, and a very comfortable bed.
I would definitely stay here any time that I might be in Oakhurst.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 6, 2013

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 4, 2013

We were scheduled to stay here last summer. Got to the area early and asked to see a room - very dark, smelled musty and smoky, old style decor and in definite need of a makeover!! Staff also not very welcoming. Additionally, this location is a solid 30 minute drive on super windy roads to even get to the south gate of Yosemite. (The Sequoias are at that end which is a plus). However, to get into Yosemite Valley is another HOUR, of pure slow, windy roads. So essentially it takes an hour and a half to get to the main attractions in Yosemite! Doing this once is long enough but doing it several days in a row is not fun - people we know never get car sick but after this drive were extremely nauseous!!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed April 3, 2013

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Best Western
Also consider these accommodations in or near Oakhurst
Yosemite Southgate Hotel & Suites
5 mi away
The Pines Resort
The Pines Resort
#1 of 1 in Bass Lake

Been to Best Western Plus Yosemite Gateway Inn? Share your experiences!