“Disappointed” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 9 Hotels in Oakhurst
Las Vegas, Nevada, United States
“Disappointed”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013 via mobile

Location was good once you came down from the park. The hotel has beautiful grounds. There was a porch so that you can enjoy the grounds. Upon checking in the front desk was robotic. Not friendly at all. I stepped in and got her to smile. Sad. Then upon checking out another staff member and I went back and fort about our breakfast. To my surprise. So we decided to eat elsewhere. We will not be returning.

• Stayed March 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (240)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
temecula, California, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

large room close to Yosemite.

Restaurant is slow, but liked it was on site. Used best western as a stop over to cabin in yosemite. Oakhurst is a great place to stock up before the mountain where cost are 3x the price.

Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Eric M
San Francisco, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

I stayed in Best Western in different cities, overall experience was very good, clean, nice size room, nice pool and hot tub, however my most recent stay on saturday 3/23/13 was horrible. The hot tub was not very clean, felt very slippery, even worse, when my friend and I went back to the room to take a shower, I found there were millions of ants coming out from the faucet and faucet knob and all over the tub!!!!!!!! It freaked me out and I called the front desk immediately. The lady who answered the phone said she would have someone come to take a look right away, but the staff didn't show up until 15 minutes later. I have very sensitive skin and requested to change room, she said the whole hotel was full and they didn't have any room for us, we can either check out and ask for a refund or stay in the same room, that was all she could do. It was 10:30pm at that time, I said I didnt want to look for a hotel so late and I wanted to talk to her manager. She said there was no manager on duty at this time that I can call him on Monday!!! I asked if there was any place we could take a shower, she said nowhere! I said that was not possible, so how can the empolyees take a shower? She said it was available. Without any choice, we had to stay, she sprayed some insects killer and it smelt horrible in the room, she cleaned the ant bodies and left. Later on, more ants came out again!!! I wish I could show you all the pictures of ants crawling all over the place!!

So either of us took a shower that night, with the bad hot tub smell and sticky skin, felt disgusting. We hardly slept the whole night. I will never go back to that hotel again and will never recommend it to anyone. Stay away from it!!! It is not as good as it shows in the advertisement!

Room Tip: Stay away from it if you don't want to shower with ants!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 stars
    • 3 of 5 stars
    • 2 of 5 stars
2 Thank Aariel2013
wgputnam, General Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Yosemite Gateway Inn, responded to this review, April 11, 2013
Ants have been extremely bad this year, we have a exterminator spraying regularly to get the little critters under control. Sorry for the inconvenience
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

This hotel is in a great location for Yosemite. The staff are really friendly, the room we got was really clean - decor maybe a bit dated, but very well maintained. For the money this is a good place to stay.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank oxfordtreker
Batavia, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

Thanks to Laura in the restaurant , my husband and I were able to enjoy the first few nights of our trip to Yosemite in a laid back and friendly atmosphere while we relaxed with the margarita I was craving after the LONG drive through the park. We happened to stumble upon this restaurant after driving back and forth on the main road and realized that it may be the only one open, but it also was the most inviting! We were right!. After getting the margarita which was well worth the money because it was very tasty and good quality-not cheap sour mix- we were able to relax at the bar , but yet feel like we were also a part of the entire restaurant and it seemed that others felt the same, thanks to Laura. She was very friendly and seemed to make everyone feel like they were at a big family dinner, yet still intimate with their family, spouse, etc at the same time. Laura was so inviting that we went back the following day, which happened to be my birthday. Once Laura noticed we were back to dine that evening, she saluted my birthday by singing Happy Birthday and even got the lovely couple next to us to sing along. It was very sweet and inviting again. Also provided us with a slice of cake after our YUMMY and WELL PRESENTED AND COOKED meals. We once again chatted with Laura that evening as did EVERYOTHER table and had a great time winding down after another long day of hiking.

We returned three nights later (thinking Laura was there because I thought she said she was going to be) to enjoy our last night before heading to San Fran to find not only a different waitress/hostess/bartender, but also a DIFFERENT atmosphere. It was quiet and somewhat uncomfortable-no one was talking or seemed relaxed. It was brighter and slower service (since we were just at the bar again I felt like I wasnt as important) but what really ruined it for me was when I asked if Laura was working . The answer was "no" but when I said "aww we came to say goodbye-we were in on Sunday & Monday" her answer then with an eye roll......."ohhh and where was Laura that night". Needless to say.............we did not spend anymore money there that night! Not sure what she meant but i KNOW that she meant it to be rude. And that sad part is that I believe she is one of the owners...NOT GOOD SERVICE and personally-she was boring and awkward and could not provide the same service and atmosphere Laura did. Thank you Laura! You did a great job being the only worker in a busy place while also being friendly!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Portland, Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

Good value for the money. Very reasonable price for our room. We couldn't find affordable lodging inside Yosemite National Park for our visit, and this property is not far outside Yosemite in the town of Oakhurst. Admittedly it's a bit of a drive to get to Yosemite Valley, but not too bad. We had stayed here previously several years ago, and the property is still well-maintained and a good option when visiting Yosemite. Spacious rooms, free Internet, discounted breakfast, and original art on the walls (I think by the owners) all make for an enjoyable experience. Would stay here again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
San Luis Obispo, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

We usally go up to Tenaya Lodge but because it was a last minute thought and the rates were out of sight we decided to try this Best Western. We are very glad we did and can't wait to go back. The rooms are large and clean, restaurants nearby, casino nearby and of course up the hill to Yosemite, all at an affordable price per night. We met the owner, his wife and grandson because we had a door lock issue. They and the staff could not have been more helpful in resolving this problem.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars
Also consider these accommodations in or near Oakhurst
Yosemite Southgate Hotel & Suites
Yosemite View Lodge
Yosemite View Lodge
#1 of 2 in El Portal
3.5 of 5 stars 3,299 reviews

Been to BEST WESTERN PLUS Yosemite Gateway Inn? Share your experiences!