“old and simple hotel, they charched our credit card twice!!!!!!!!!”

Americas Best Value Inn Yosemite-Oakhurst
Ranked #9 of 9 Hotels in Oakhurst
Reviewed August 26, 2009

Very expensive for what it is. Very old. Not too bad, but breakfast is unbereable.
We are trying to recover our money, they double charge our credit card.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple

Reviewed July 25, 2009

I must say in my experience, It was very enjoyable. The hotel desk clerk was very pleasant, even recommended some restaurants. The room was clean. The air conditioning worked great seeing it was close to 100 degrees upon our arrival. I have no negatives. It was no 5 star hotel,but our stay was very enjoyable.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 22, 2008

My wife and three kids (2 teenagers) were half way through our three and a half week touring holiday to the West Coast staying in six different hotels. I booked this hotel for two nights near Yosemite via Expedia. After checking on Expedia I believed I had booked either adjoining rooms or two bedrooms containing two beds in each as my booking and my reservation clearly stated "4 queen beds".

However on arrival we were provided one standard room with two double beds. To cut a long story after taking my case up with the hotel reception staff the hotel manager called me... her opening line was I had two choices "either I vacated the hotel or paid for the second room, for the 'additional' beds"! she went on to say that she... "couldn't care less what Expedia paperwork I had, either I would do as she says or she would call the Sheriff"!!! Absolutely unbelievable! At all times I was courteous and level headed and even asked her why she was being so aggressive!

I come from the UK where we have an old (70's) comedy series called Fawlty Towers where the owner was a bumptious idiot who just abused the guests. His name was Basil Fawlty (and I thoroughly recommend the series if you get chance to see it). The manager of Oakhurst Americas Best Value Inn has modelled herself on Mr Fawlty, of that I'm sure.

I'm slighty loathed to mark this hotel down as 'terrible' based on one person but I'm afraid that's exactly how I feel. I'm sure if the manager wasn't in a hotel situated directly outside one of the most beautiful places in the world (Yosemite), I'm sure she wouldn't be employed.

Needless to say I didn't stay two nights in Americas Best Value Inn, but,other than this experience, we had a fantastic holiday to the West Coast - a true holiday of a lifetime staying in a number of Days Inn's + Best Western + Holiday Inn + Homewood Suites and the fantastic Cancun Resort in Vegas.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with family
3  Thank SarahsSpouse
Reviewed August 22, 2008

This hotel is not bad, clean, big rooms and beds. Anyway, it has been the most expensive hotel in my 18 days spent in the US ... but i think that's the standard in oakhurst, so the other hotels around there won't be better.

Stayed: August 2008
Reviewed July 21, 2008

We stayed for two nights while visiting Yosemite. At the last minute, we booked a second room for my brother and his wife (from Los Angeles). The review summarises our consensus.
Situated at the southern boundary of Oakhurst, the hotel is ideal for such a stopover. Check-in was friendly and informal. We were given adjoining rooms on the ground floor which were roomy and clean. The air conditioning worked well in both rooms. The bathrooms were clean and freshly supplied with soaps and clean towels. The small swimming pool was clean (and inviting after a hot drive from LA) although the jacuzzi was roped off for repair.
Breakfast consisted of fruit juices, cereals, waffles and bread (with a toaster) with spread, syrup and jam(jelly), and various pastries. Coffee was rather weak for any of our tastes and this appeared to be a common complaint.
Having checked out various hotels in the area, the prices reflect the proximity to Yosemite. This hotel requires the decor to be freshened up but otherwise is quite acceptable. Just remember that it is only a '2 diamond' rated hotel, and not the Hilton.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank Iain F
Reviewed July 8, 2008

Let me start with the Pros - not a lot here but the room was clean and the air conditioner really worked well since outside was 100 degrees.

Now let's start with the bad:
- Way to Pricey but what do you expect near Yosemite Park
- Shower stall sqeeked very load when you moved in it. Felt like the bath tube was going to break. Next to the shower head, there was a hole in the wall.
- The bathroom countertop front was barely hanging on
- There is no elevator - don't stay on floor 2 because you will have to tote everything up the stairs.
- Don't do laundry there. We went to the front desk where we asked for quarters for the laundry mat. We also bought soap there. We did our laundry and put it in the dryer. One hour later the clothes were still wet so we put more money in. Another hour later, the clothes were wet. We went to the front desk and complained. The same girl that sold us the soap and gave us the quarters for the laundry said "oh, the dryer doesn't work and hasn't for a very long time. The owner refuses to fix it". I convinced her to put our clothes in their other dryer that handles all their sheets.
- The walls are paper thin. Our neighbor at 2 in the morning took a shower and I swear I was at Niagra Falls.
- I really don't want to go on here. As you can tell, this was a worrible experience and we will never go back and you shouldn't either.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank ahsumtoy
Reviewed November 6, 2007

We decided at the last minute to take a side trip to Yosemite N.P. on the way to Lake Tahoe. Unfortunately, we didn't make reservations ahead of time and so this was the only place available. Honestly, I've stayed in worse, but it definitely wasn't great. It's an older property and could use an update, but there was a bed (which was clean) and a shower (which was average at best) and we only needed a place for one night. I thought it was VERY over-priced, but given the season and the lack of accomodations anywhere else in town, what do you expect?

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled as a couple