“Expected more from a steak house :-(”

Sweetwater Steakhouse
Ranked #14 of 49 Restaurants in Oakhurst
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed February 23, 2013

My husband and I went to Sweetwater for our three year anniversary back in 2009 and while the place was really nice the food was bland! I orderd a steak and there was no flavor it looked like they had just put some salt and pepper on talp and served it! My husband had some ribs and he said they were old and tuff with little meat on them. The staff was extreamly nice and appoligized even gave us our meal for free but we were extreamly disapointed with the food!

There are newer reviews for Sweetwater Steakhouse

Reviewed February 3, 2013

The food was delicious! The decor needs updating but, was very clean so, it was easily looked past. We had the Monkey Martinis and they were the best I have tasted!

They gave us a private booth at our request and we didnt go at any time with an empty drink or cluttered table.

Down home feel, top notch food, wonderful service will definately do again!

1  Thank Mryme
Reviewed February 2, 2013

The portions were pretty big. We left from our breakfast stuffed! Our country potatoes were a little on the burned side but I didn't complain because our waitress was very sweet and super friendly! We chose this place because it was right down the driveway from where we stayed.

1  Thank VDTruth
Reviewed January 25, 2013

I ordered salmon which was fine. The rice pilaf was so hard I couldn't eat it. The veggies were over seasoned. Service was unhurried.

1  Thank GreenQueenColleen
Reviewed January 6, 2013

We stay in Oakhurst at least once a year when we visit the Sierras. Its convenient to everything, has many services but is sorely lacking in places to eat. We've generally stuck to a couple of Mexican restaurants which are decent, but this year we find out one of them is gone. What to do on day 2 of our visit. Not only that but this trip we have a guest who leans toward the vegetarian side. Whiles the ladies were doing some shopping I did some fast searches on Yelp and Tripadvisor and decided that Sweetwater might be what we needed. Meat, fish, chicken, pasta and baked sweet potato on the menu along with some generally good reviews.
To make a long story short, we now have a new go to place for our visit to Oakhurst.
The flatiron "Signature Steak" got good reviews and is the cheapest steak on the menu so I figured I'd give it a try. Perfection, this is what I Think of as a steak. Right between a Rib Eye and a New York strip. Very flavorful like a Rib Eye but not as dry as a New York. The menu says,"melt in your mouth" and I'll agree with them totally. I ordered the large expecting to have a little leftover for the dog, well the pup had to make do with her dry food because I couldn't help myself it was so delicious. It was simply seasoned and charred then finished in an iron skillet which nicely melted the seasoning into the meat. The accompanying baked potato was huge, correctly cooked and stuffed with butter and sour cream. I'm glad I didn't order a side of veggies. The salad that came with the dinner was a nice mix of field greens, but unfortunately the bleu cheese seemed to be made from Miracle whip and not mayo, bummer for me.
My wife had the California Chicken which was a chicken breast with ham, cheese and avocado. Didn't taste it, as I didn't want to dilute the steak taste, but she enjoyed it and the soup that came with it was great. A vegetable beef that was prepared like onion soup with a large crouton and cheese on top. Very homemade and very tasty.
My daughter had the fish and chips, looked good and she liked it a lot. I tried the steak fries and they were excellent.
Her friend, the vegetarian had two sides, rice pilaf and the baked sweet potato. She was very satisfied and raved about the sweet potato. She had the brown sugar and butter on the side and could mix to her own taste. I got points for being thoughtful enough to find this option.
So in the end we all had something we liked, there are still more items we'd like to try so we'll be back.
Also the service was really good, efficient and friendly.
Full bar and a good selection of beers. You really can't do better in Oakhurst.