Chateau du Sureau
$125
ComfortInn
$143
Yosemite Southgate Hotel & Suites(Oakhurst)(Great Value!)
$165
$139
$129
Best Western Plus Yosemite Gateway Inn(Oakhurst)(Great Value!)
$174
$152
Agoda.com
$134
Travelocity
The Pines Resort(Bass Lake)(Great Value!)
$160
$130
$194
$179
Hotels.com
No availability for your dates from our partners
All reviewselderberry houseeuropean stylefour poster bedmint roomfairy talewhisked awaygrand saloniron gatemagical placeseparate reviewan absolute treatgeranium roomhomemade granolaromantic weekendevery requesttook care of our luggagehot tea
FilterAll languages
Reviewed January 2, 2007

I should have listened to the reviewers who wrote the few negative reviews below. From the minute we arrived and saw the ridiculous black uniform with frilly white apron (I am not sure if there was a mob cap as well but there may as well have been) I realized it was not for us. Tacky and phoney are the words that come to mind. I fully agree with the reviewer who described the owner as Nurse Ratchet. She was scary in a cartoonish way. The manager Lucy was efficient with a smile that didnt meet her eyes. She was positively icy. And we made no audible complaints. I also agree with the reviewer who said that there was a bizarre invasion of privacy. For instance, we set our toothbrushes out in water glasses at night and in the morning they returned them to their cases! the fact that they were touching my toothbrush at all was offensive. In addition other cosmetic items that were out on the bathroom vanity were put away again in our travel cases and zipped up. Clothing that we draped over a chair was folded and put away. I have never seen any hotel or accomodation do anything like this. I gather that people are impressed by the little elf thing where they come and clean your sneakers. Personally, I thought it was just one more cheesy touch. The service was both unprofessional and overbearing. The only positive note is that the rooms were lovely, the bed linens sumptuous and the food good, though pretentious. Unfortunately, the breakfast was a silly 2 or 3 course affair with elaborately plated items covered in heavy sauces that were reminisent of the previous nights 10 course dinner in the restaurant. Noone bothered to tell us that there was an optional cereal selection on a sideboard inside and we were seated outdoors. Likewise, noone told us that you didnt actually have to order the enormous tasting menu for dinner. If you must have 300 thread count linens every night than the Chateau is your only option in the Yosemite area. However, I would have much preferred the Tenaya Lodge right outside the park-- it looked clean and normal. I must say I am shocked that Relais and Chateau admitted this property to their organization. I have stayed in several Relais and Chateau Inns and have always been impressed. I think they need to revisit this one.

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled with family
17  Thank landp3
Reviewed September 19, 2006

My husband and I just came back from our 30th anniversary celabration -get-a-way. We spent three romantic nights at The Chateau in the lavendar room. The ammenities are world class and it is easy to see why this hotel wins every type of award! The staff could not have been more accomadating to our every wim! From the moment we arrived through the wrought iron gate and the house "butler" greeted us at our car and whisked away our bags and a uniformed(european style) employee showed us around our"weekend home" facilities- we knew we would be having a unique and special celebration. I was fortunate to partake in two spa services and they were divine! I have been to many 5 star resorts and other Relais& Chateau properties and this was the most intimate and perfectly appointed of all the properties I have experienced. I have no complaints which is hard to believe!! If you have the financial resources and enjoy intimate environments and true catering to ones needs this is the place! The food is amazing- the grounds beautiful the decor superlative and the staff most proffessional- I look forward to returning...

• Stayed: September 2006, traveled as a couple
3  Thank njtransfer
Reviewed September 1, 2006

My husband and I stayed here for our wedding weekend. It was absolutely magical. Arriving at the Chateau very late after our wedding reception, we were greeted warmly and found a crackling fire and a bottle of champagne in our lovely room. The food at breakfast was amazing, and the staff was very kind. Even Erna herself stopped by our table to congratulate us.
As other reviews have noted, the service is unlike anything we've ever experienced. While some might find this off-putting, we just thought of it as part of the charm. My wedding dress was hung beautifully in the Armoir, and my keep-sake bouquet was displayed on the writing desk.

We have a special fondness for everyone at the Chateau because they catered our wedding reception, and Special events coordinator Christina did an amazing job. She and her staff made all our guests feel like they had experienced the elegance of the chateau. The white glove service and 5-star food, the attention to every detail throughout the festivites and into our 2-night stay made our wedding a truly incredible moment.

We'll definitely be going back for anniversaries.

• Stayed: April 2006, traveled as a couple
1  Thank jandtpeters
Reviewed March 16, 2006

Our perspective on the Chateau may be untypical, in that we are repeat, extended stay visitors there. My wife and I have retreated to Erna's now for 6 successive summers, spending a week each time. We have been charmed and impressed by our visits every time, and have already booked our 2006 stay. There is no place we would rather get away to. This last visit (summer 2005), sitting on the restaurant patio after dinner enjoying dessert, looking back up the hill at the Chateau bathed in accent lighting against the star filled sky, I found myself thinking "I can’t imagine growing tired of coming here." Hasn’t happened yet. Having read all the other reviews, I understand how some might be put off by some of the attributes of the Chateau ("Sound of Music" uniforms, “Little Elves”). But for us, those touches are what add to the appeal, the charm, and the magic. Yes, perhaps these are arguably a bit over the top, but, hey, lighten up a bit. Frankly, ask the staff what they think, many will confide they are far from fond of the uniforms as well! We concede the rooms are a tad small, albeit other than our very first night on our very first visit in 2000, we have stayed in our favorite room every night/visit since (the room with the armoire with a life of its own!) But, we spend little time in any room when we travel (between daytime activity and evening dining), so we are perhaps more forgiving than others. We find the intimacy of the room, the uniqueness of the layout, the quality of the ambience, and the privacy of this particular room, all more than make up for the small size. The bedding, bath amenities, robes, all of the highest order. We simply never sleep anywhere else as well as we do in the comfort of the Chateau. That may have a lot to do with being beyond well-dined after meals there. We have found this place to be an amazing, gracious, totally satisfying, romance inducing retreat. We have come to consider many of the staff friends from repeat visits. Among the stars are Lucy, Daniel, Leslie (cookie promoter emeritus), and Danielle in the house, and Chris, John and Chef James in the restaurant. They are all marvelous hosts, abundantly friendly if treated in kind, and very willing to share ideas, recommendations, secrets of local spots for secluded hiking (we loathe crowds, so we hike outside Yosemite, e.g. Fresno Dome, Nelder Grove, Iron Lakes, Jackass Lake), wine tasting (Westbrook Wine Farm, a local boutique winery of world class order), etc. We are vegetarians, and have been served food to die for. We have, over the years, had one or two meals that were not up to par (one at the hand of a Chef no longer there), but whenever something was not to our liking, we’ve had Erna and current Chef James seek us out when we voiced even mild dissatisfaction, to discuss what we disliked, what we liked, and what they could do to ensure we were dazzled at the next meal. Then they did just that! Chris is a very knowledgeable sommelier, and has expanded our palates with many of his “you won’t find this elsewhere” gems. This is a place where being kind to staff, open and politely clear on wants and wishes, and diplomatic when there may be some very rare cause for complaint, generates immediate action and resolution above your expectations. And from breakfast, pool lounging before dinner after a day hike (complete thanks to Leslie again, with unsolicited cookies or cheese/fruit tray), to late evening sitting and reading in the great room parlor in the main house, any request has been well accommodated. With all respect, I must believe that anyone who has felt displeasure with any aspect of a stay here has been part of the problem. Erna's is simply magical, a place unlike any else we have ever stayed (includes travel along much of Calif. Central Coast, UK, New England, Far East). Most highly recommended.

• Stayed: June 2005
14  Thank Randyhol
Reviewed February 10, 2006

Magical place just outside Yosemite National Park. Beautiful grounds, incredible food. Service is spectacular. The Ahwahnee was a huge disappointment after the Chateau du Sureau.

• Stayed: February 2006